Surrounding the ref...

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Surrounding the ref...

Postby hammerdivone on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:27 pm

I agree that this is one key thing football can learn from rugby, it's all about respect. But Rugby referees rarely get things wrong and when they do they get helped by the TMO.

What really rankles me more than this though is the way footballers fall over at the touch of feather, and go down poleaxed as if hit by a sniper. It's cheating, it's pathetic and the governing bodies need to clamp down on it.
hammerdivone

Postby OFT on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:39 pm

hammerdivone wrote:What really rankles me more than this though is the way footballers fall over at the touch of feather, and go down poleaxed as if hit by a sniper. It's cheating, it's pathetic and the governing bodies need to clamp down on it.

Yeah, but they never seem to get injured when they score and 8 or 9 others jump on top of them :?

When you watch the 6 nations etc. and see the physical battering the players take it makes me wonder what is up with pro footballers. An Italian that got clobbered at the weekend was attended by 'physios', as the game carried on around him, no rolling around, just treated and helped off.
OFT

Postby Romford on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Maurenn and his players up to their usual tricks...disgraceful
Romford
Big X

Postby Vicboy1960 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:24 pm

Sadly, I suspect that the badgering of referees is something that Sky and BT secretly welcome.

They may act high and mighty but IF the TV boys stopped showing endless replays from many different cameras then the culture of footballers respecting referees would slowly return. By constantly undermining the officials, TV is indirectly spurning disrespect.

But there us no chance of the TV people dropping replays because they love the controversy and debate they spurn.

It also annoys me when so many, like that half wit Gary Neville, start clamouring for video replays to assist the officials.

At Man Utd today, Neville said Sky had 30 cameras at the game. Well, all very well but what about when a game is not on live? There are not 30 cameras then. Even more so, what about the lower leagues? Who would pay for extra cameras and the associated officials and technology for games at Oreint and the like?

Either video technology is used for ALL or none at all.

By using technology for some and not others the game ends up, in effect, with two sets of rules. One set of rules dictated by the technology and one only by the match officials.

Cricket and Rugby has surrendered itself to this daft situation and football must avoid doing the same.

Instead, let's try to re-establish match officials as the final, and only, authority, on decisions.

Lastly, half-wit Neville was at his stupid best today. He said that the stamping and the elbow were both 'red cards'. Both should have gone, he said.

Well, Gary, think a bit more will you. Had the Bournemouth guy been seen with his stamp, he would have been sent off, surely. In that case, then, Ibranovic would not have been able to use his elbow!

On the other hand, if Ibranovic had been sent off for the elbow, the ref could not have rewound the game and then sent off the Bournemouth guy. So, however it played out, both players could not have been sent off. Its a pity that Sky's premier analyst didn't have the IQ to reason it out.

He and his overpaid fellow analysts do nothing to help the referees by acting like smart asses AFTER they have had it replayed to them again and again with no pressure, other than to be as controversial as possible, I sadly suspect.

Rant over.
Vicboy1960

Postby kayahammer on Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:12 am

Simple solution.

Players start surrounding the ref. He gets his spray can out and draws a line on the pitch that only players he invites can cross. Anyone else crosses it he sprays them in the eyes with his other can.

Seriously though, use the spray can as a dividing line
kayahammer

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:53 am

Im certainly not making excuses for the poor behaviour of the players, but watching MOTD this morning I've suddenly realised how ALL the Premier league refs lack any authority on the pitch. The players obviously realise this, and thats why they surround the officials knowing full well he can be swayed. :thdn:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby fmgod on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:08 am

There's a video from yesterday of the ref calling Zlatan over getting his card out, getting a talk to him from Zlatan and putting the card away, baffling
fmgod

Postby rciron on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:21 am

Nesticles wrote:
Man United and that rat Herrera were at it yesterday but get away with it

:lol:
rciron

Postby fmgod on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:25 am

fmgod

Postby Iron George on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:42 pm

fmgod wrote:There's a video from yesterday of the ref calling Zlatan over getting his card out, getting a talk to him from Zlatan and putting the card away, baffling

Friend got a talking to from Rooney and Ibra, then decided he was better off putting his card away

We've had some very poor referees this season but Friend's performance yesterday was easily the worst I've seen this season.
Iron George

Postby Welsh Iron on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Growing up playing rugby, we were taught that the ref and any decision he makes MUST be respected at ALL times.

If you were spoken to by a ref, you called him Sir.

Any incident of dissent when a decision went against you was penalised further by 10 yards.

You can watch any game of rugby nowadays and the same 'rules' apply. There are clips on youtube of players respecting the ref in such ways.

Footballers could and should learn some of these lessons from an early age but, it doesn't help when dad is on the sideline, calling the refs all sorts.
Welsh Iron

Postby AlfieG on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:22 am

How the feck did that twat of a ref let Bournemouth get away with that all through the game yesterday.

Absolute joke. :thdn:
AlfieG

Postby rciron on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:29 am

'Bobby' madley, you're just a cant with a whistle, ruined the game and the day for me, we had him before and he was shocking, should be struck off and castrated ****ing git :lol:
rciron

Postby 61dicksey on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Whatever happened to that 10 yard rule, we had it in football and it suddenly disappeared?
61dicksey

Postby LeonRivers on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 pm

The ref yesterday had no control, particularly in the first half. How can you respect a man that's getting dominated by people he's supposed to be controlling? Weak.
LeonRivers

Postby Romford on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Spot on..they could see he was weak and took advantage.

There was one fella who was going up every challenge and whinging...and he should have been sent off after half a dozen fouls then taking Antonio out at the end. That just shows that it works...disgrace.

Howe has gone down in my estimations with some of his "game management".
Romford
Big X

Postby Iron George on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Romford wrote:Spot on..they could see he was weak and took advantage.

There was one fella who was going up every challenge and whinging...and he should have been sent off after half a dozen fouls then taking Antonio out at the end. That just shows that it works...disgrace.

Howe has gone down in my estimations with some of his "game management".

A lot of people think of Bournemouth as easy on the eye and a friendly little club by the seaside - and Howe works hard to cultivate this image because he knows it helps them.

Yesterday Arter and Gosling were in Madley's ear from first whistle till last and Cook and Francis were persistently fouling Carroll and Antonio with some snide offences.

At Watford, another 'friendly little club', we saw Antonio dismissed because their players were in Pawson's face imploring him to give a red.

Sadly though, I think this says more about us than them - we need to learn to 'play' the referee as they do, something our last Captain was brilliant at.
Iron George

Postby Pulls up Trees on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Antonio's handball was a yellow card though...? He would have been sent off regardless!
Pulls up Trees

Postby Penfold711 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Iron George wrote:At Watford, another 'friendly little club', we saw Antonio dismissed because their players were in Pawson's face imploring him to give a red.

Sadly though, I think this says more about us than them - we need to learn to 'play' the referee as they do, something our last Captain was brilliant at.

We got charged by the FA for failing to control our players when they surrounded the ref (for a sending off that got overturned, iirc). Someone from the club should be on to the FA asking for some consistency regarding this.
Penfold711

Postby Romford on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Twice last season...
Romford
Big X

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion