Vera Lynn

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Vera Lynn

Postby Doc H Ball on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:27 pm

I was enjoying watching the images and listening and then it cut out for a load of ads about season tickets.

She'll probably get an invoice from the Club for plugging her album.
Doc H Ball

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Once again they cock up something simple.

They played the chorus of her version of Bubbles, or at least they tried to. A late fade missed the first half of the opening line, then they cut the last line,'Pretty bubbles in the air' completely in order to play that ridiculous drumbashing thing just before the officials come out.

Whoever does the prematch stuff would be ill advised to apply for the post of social secretary in a brewery, it's beyond his capability.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby johnnyb on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:52 pm

[quote="Johnny Byrne's Boots"]Once again they cock up something simple.

They played the chorus of her version of Bubbles, or at least they tried to. A late fade missed the first half of the opening line, then they cut the last line,'Pretty bubbles in the air' completely in order to play that ridiculous drumbashing thing just before the officials come out.

Whoever does the prematch stuff would be ill advised to apply for the post of social secretary in a brewery, it's beyond his capability.[/quote

Does your head in don't it? Complete idiot whoever it is.
johnnyb

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Yeah, should have played instead of Noble.
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:04 am

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Once again they cock up something simple.

If you want to see true East End class then watch BBC2's tribute to her that's just finished. Timing. Quality. Emotion with confidence and clarity. Braveness. Churchill with a tune.

If without welling up you you can watch the veterans listening to her and remembering what she meant for them and then please tell me how you do it.

An Easy Ham legend. Extraordinary brave with it. Happy birthday Vera.

"I had a wife and daughter at home. She bought them closer" - Burma vet.
DaveWHU1964

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:32 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:If you want to see true East End class then watch BBC2's tribute to her that's just finished. Timing. Quality. Emotion with confidence and clarity. Braveness. Churchill with a tune.

If without welling up you you can watch the veterans listening to her and remembering what she meant for them and then please tell me how you do it.

An Easy Ham legend. Extraordinary brave with it. Happy birthday Vera.

"I had a wife and daughter at home. She bought them closer" - Burma vet.

Only got home from the game in time to see the last few minutes of the show, even just the last few bits had me going, especially seeing that old boy WW2 vet crying when 'We'll Meet Again' came on.

Typical of the new West Ham that they couldn't even get it right to play her clip properly today...even just a few words before the clip and some applause after would have done it.

That snafu aside, wasn't it beautiful to hear that brief version of her singing our song? Utterly gorgeous.

I think the BBC2 show from tonight is being re-shown on BBC4 next week, so hopefully will be able to watch it then... with hankies at the ready!

Anyway...bless you Dame Vera, what a girl... a link to a better breed of person.
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby The Old Mile End on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:19 am

Reading that is as disappointing as Ayews miss yesterday!

Seems a typical half baked effort by the club again. If you're going to do it, do it right.

I was eagerly expecting to see Vera Lynn's version replacing the normal bubbles at the start - but saw nothing of it on the coverage so it was a bit of a let down.

To represent a people, you have to understand them first.
The Old Mile End

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 am

Happy birthday Dame Vera.

The Forces Sweetheart

Fabulous.
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Vicboy1960 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Dame Vera Lynn. One of the last of the greatest generation.

What they all went through during the most violent and destructive conflict the world has ever seen leaves me speechless. My father was a tank driver at Arnhem and then very badly injured in Germany a while later when his tank was hit by a shell, killing the other two on board.

My mum worked in a munitions factory in Liverpool and lost all her teeth at just age 20 due to TNT poisoning.

They were not alone, though. By the time France surrendered it had gone way beyond people just looking after themselves. No, they realised that they had to pull together to beat the most evil tyranny the world has ever seen. And boy, they did.

I'm immensely proud of my mum and dad, both long gone now, and my east end upbringing. Dame Vera has always been class and I'm proud of the fact she came from East Ham.

The fact that West Ham could not even get a small tribute to her right seams volumes about what the club has become. They should be massively ashamed of their failure because without Dame Vera and her generation Sullivan, Gold and Brady would not be in the privileged positions they are now.

The whole change over to the LS has completely ignored tradition and history. This latest failure is yet another example.

I despair.
Vicboy1960

Postby OnePaulHilton on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Spot on Vicboy. Very sad.
OnePaulHilton

Postby Whitters on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05 pm

I saw it come on the big screens on Saturday and was initially impressed that they'd put together something reasonably professional looking in quite a short space of time since the 'campaign' started. However 30 seconds or so later it had gone. What a pity.
Whitters

Postby JCA on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Well said Vicboy.
My Dad went over on D-Day and right through to Antwerp before being shipped out to Asia. Lucky (for him) the Bomb was dropped on Japan and by the time their troopship passed India it was all over......but he had to stay on in Singapore to help get things up and running again and didn't finally get home until 1948. He died 3 yrs ago aged 90....in our front room in East Ham where the family has been since 1952.
Went up to see Mum y'day and my sister had bought her the Vera Lynn 100th anniversary album, we all sat there and listened to it, with a tear in the eye when she sang "Bubbles"........
Finally, agree with practically everyone else on this thread so far, the club really did mess up what could have been a fantastic tribute at the game on Saturday. Pretty disrespectful in my book.
JCA

Postby johnnyb on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Whitters wrote:I saw it come on the big screens on Saturday and was initially impressed that they'd put together something reasonably professional looking in quite a short space of time since the 'campaign' started. However 30 seconds or so later it had gone. What a pity.

It was more than a pity. It was utterly disgraceful.
johnnyb

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:22 pm

just came on this thread cos i was wondering why i didnt hear it before kick off

now i know why - i didnt get into the ground until just before kick off
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Wembley1966 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 pm

I specifically finished my beer early to make sure that I was in my seat in good time to see/hear what they did. It started off so well and those around me that didn't know about it were all just commenting about how good it was when it was so rudely interrupted.

The supplier of the content management for the screens and PA really need replacing as what could be such a good fan experience is very woeful. No announcement of opposition line-ups (unless they do it before most people are there), during the match just show adverts at times when there should be replays, etc.
Wembley1966

Postby danski78 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm

They totally balls up a graham Taylor minute applause the game after his death.. I think we're about 15 seconds in when the PA blasted out some music and cut it off.

Come on West Ham do something right and recognise how amazing Dame Vera's version of bubbles is and make sure that's what we play before kick off every other week.. it's amazing !!!
danski78

Postby Robbie on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Very disappointing indeed. How can this be done so poorly.?
Another example of the club not really appreciating the things that are important to the many.
I was really pleased that they said they would do something, and then in classic style they make it an amateurish embarrassment. Shameful.
Robbie

Postby Whitters on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm

johnnyb wrote:
It was more than a pity. It was utterly disgraceful.

Well, I'd say 'disgraceful' is maybe a bit strong, given that she's still alive and was never on our books as far as I'm aware. So I'll upgrade my 'a pity' to 'rather disappointing'.
Whitters

Postby Up the Junction on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Oh well, we tried!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Phil S on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Oh well, we tried!

and that is all you can do guv

I just don't get this club anymore. It seems they think to themselves... what can we do to upset the fans today
Phil S

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion