Season Ticket Renewals

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Season Ticket Renewals

Postby Albie Beck on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Kialos wrote:How is that "flushing out the most obvious frauds"

As has been said, the target is the abuse - where it can be identified - of the kids £99 tickets. Being West Ham they are using the broadest possible brush and have no hope (or intention) of using all the info they collect.

As regards DOB, far as I recall they've always had mine as long as they've had an on-line profile for me which is 10+ years.
Albie Beck

Postby Kialos on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 pm

You are right, I have just checked my online account and they do indeed have my DOB, can't remember when I gave it but anyway they can see how young I am 8-)

The other interesting thing I noticed is that I have not ticked the box agreeing to receive offers and information from West Ham United FC's commercial partners. I get fed up getting guff about holidays in Florida and betting. DPA breach anyone!
Kialos

Postby Albie Beck on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Being West Ham they also conflate commercial spammy stuff - sorry messages from partners - with the occasional important announcement. I've decided to take the risk and choose not to receive it :D
Albie Beck

Postby Andy.C on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 pm

It may have been mentioned before but at the Boleyn you often saw stewards checking the lights above the turnstiles to see who's coming in using a child's ticket, never saw this once at the OS
Andy.C

Postby Wembley1966 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Kialos wrote:I'm not 100% certain but I don't think you had to put your DOB down when applying for a ST, it was only if you wanted a concession that you did and then you had to supply proof of age. It was up the the ST holder to apply for a concession, it was not automatically given to you.

I never paid to be a member, but I did register and have an access card 12+ years ago for when I did buy tickets. They must have had my DoB because when I bought a ticket for Peterborough away I automatically got a concession ticket as they classify seniors as 60+. I didn't ask for concession as I assumed it was 65+ and that I wasn't old enough..
Wembley1966

Postby droshky on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Yes they automatically billed me for 65+ 50% off. Then months later they drop the proof business in. As it happens with the away start there's time enough to sort it out, in which case what's their rush?
droshky

Postby Westaam on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:25 pm

droshky wrote:Yes they automatically billed me for 65+ 50% off. Then months later they drop the proof business in. As it happens with the away start there's time enough to sort it out, in which case what's their rush?

What's their rush?

Hmmm.

Thinking back to the appointment centre where they were first selling kids' tickets, just how religiously did they insist on seeing proof of age before selling £99 season tickets?

Do I recall anecdotally reading that they were so keen to fill up the stadium that they weren't bothered to hold up sales by being sticklers for paperwork?

If that's the case, then you can understand why, having succeeded in the daunting task of filling the stadium, they now need to go back and check that these £99 types are kosher.

But, being also concerned as to what their first renewal retention rate would be, especially after our dire season, you can understand why they let everyone renew without doing that checking. It's for the same reason as originally - fear of the unknown, fear of a half-empty stadium. Just wave 'em all through!

But - having seen that the retention rate was healthy, and having an idea of how much additional demand there is for season tickets, particularly as the capacity doesn't look like zipping up to 66,000 anytime imminently - now that they know the stadium is full, they feel sufficiently emboldened to whip out the fake concession toothcomb.

That's why it's retrospective. It's not incompetence; it's an understandable business decision.

What's annoying is that of all the concessionary season ticket holders, there are plenty, if not the majority, who went to the trouble of furnishing proof at the time, who are now being asked to jump through the same hoop again. If the club were highly professionally run, these people would not be bothered again.

The clue is "highly professionally run". But then, maybe again there is a legitimate reason for doing it en masse. If you do it en masse, it's a good way of masking the fact that you cut corners previously.

So, the rush is probably due to the fact that they anticipate that there will be a fair number of dropouts arising from this purge, knowing as they do that their earlier lack of rigour means that there are bound to be a fair number of fake 99s out there; meaning that they will be needing a whole month or more so to re-sell these seats.
Westaam

Postby Jayhammer on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 pm

They are also doing it for the over 65's just had to e mail over my dads ID.
Jayhammer

Postby debaser_74 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:40 pm

I had to "jump through this hoop" for my daughter's ticket today, took a photo of her passport and emailed it to the provided email address. Took about a minute. Or about 0.33% of the time I spend refreshing the transfer thread each day :wink:
debaser_74

Postby Pop Robson on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:31 pm

debaser_74 wrote:I had to "jump through this hoop" for my daughter's ticket today, took a photo of her passport and emailed it to the provided email address. Took about a minute. Or about 0.33% of the time I spend refreshing the transfer thread each day :wink:

Did they reply saying it was ok ?
Pop Robson

Postby debaser_74 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Pop Robson wrote:
Did they reply saying it was ok ?

Having done it on a Sunday afternoon/evening I wasn't expecting anything just yet Pop, judging by previous posters though it should be sufficient.
debaser_74

Postby Pop Robson on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:48 pm

I'd be expecting confirmation that it was ok,

Still 10,000 kids tickets and maybe another 10,000 seniors to be done and dusty by Friday
Pop Robson

Postby Doc H Ball on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:24 pm

My old man who's over 80 got an e mail asking for proof of dob. He had the same seat at the Boleyn for nearly 50 years.

I had a carer's ticket all last year having been in a wheelchair and then on crutches. I don't really need it now although I still can't drive to away games, but that went without them even asking.

I don't mind em clamping down but the 10,000 ghosts were of their own making and questioning your entire fanbase is a bit ripe.

Unlike David Gold, neither of us have ever bunked into a game.
Doc H Ball

Postby Kialos on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:12 am

Doc H Ball wrote:
Unlike David Gold, neither of us have ever bunked into a game.

Or spent 16 years cheering on Birmingham City :thdn:

As you say, they turned a blind eye to what was going on, they would have had all the data re ticket sales as they were taking place. There would have been a massive upturn in kids ST sales which could not be just down to the £99 (which BTW was a great idea for real kids) yet no due diligence appears to have taken place at the time. it was then obvious even to a codger like Gold that 1 in 5 of the people in the ground were not kids yet still no action taken.

I think someone called it earlier, they have had a lightbulb moment and realised they can sell STs to adults instead of imaginary kids for more money. Pity the lightbulb did not switch on at the time people were renewing.
Kialos

Postby Porkeyes on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 am

^^^^ this and on top of it couldn't help bleating from the rooftops about it. Lying through the media about how many young fans we have, what a fantastic family friendly club blah blah lie lie spin spin.
Porkeyes

Postby westhamshares on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:38 pm

can someone post up the original renewal season ticket prices as the link in the thread takes you to the website which now only seems to show the rates for new season ticket holders. and try as I my I cant find the renewal rates. many thanks in advance.
Last edited by westhamshares on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westhamshares

Postby mike1961 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:51 pm

westhamshares wrote:can someone post up the original renewal season ticket prices as the link in the thread takes you to the website with that for new season ticket holders. and try as I my I cant find the renewal rates. many thanks in advance.

I believe they just said renewal prices are the same as last year's prices - there should be a website statement to that effect somewhere.
mike1961

Postby DaveRayleigh777 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:11 pm

Anybody sitting in the 1966 seats?

I decided to upgrade this year as couldn't see a thing last year without me telescope. I'm def not loaded but got a small inheritance so decided to put it towards the best seat I could afford. Probably never get the chance again.

I'm at the back of the lower tier, just wondered if there's much atmosphere, shouting, singing etc round there?
Also anybody know what the squad meet up thing is?
DaveRayleigh777

Postby Chris BMU on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Anyone else renew on finance and then relocate to a cheaper band? Has anyone heard anything from the club or the finance company about a refund of the difference and/or a reduction in future payments?
Chris BMU

Postby Up the Junction on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:19 pm

DaveRayleigh777 wrote:I'm at the back of the lower tier, just wondered if there's much atmosphere, shouting, singing etc round there?

I was in row 27 last season... not much atmosphere in my section as there were always plenty of empty seats (bar the final game of the season). With regards to the view, I couldn't make out who our subs were on the opposite side of the pitch and my (long) eyesight has always been fine.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion