Chelsea...worst ever winners ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Chelsea...worst ever winners ?

Postby Romford on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 pm

I cannot remember a team that just gets over the line as much as George Graham's Arsenal 20 years ago till now.

Defensive, nasty and very drilled.

Is this really the way forward ?
Romford
Big X

Re: Chelsea...worst ever winners ?

Postby Mega Ron on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:17 pm

It's the Italian way. Do just enough to win and then back off and hold on to the result.

I can understand it of some teams but with their resources they should wipe the floor with most teams.
Mega Ron

Postby BenniBlanco on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:18 pm

They have also scored some brilliant team goals. The class of Pedro Hazard and Costa has obvious in most games
BenniBlanco

Postby Romford on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:19 pm

BenniBlanco wrote:They have also scored some brilliant team goals. The class of Pedro Hazard and Costa has obvious in most games

I cannot remember too many....and Costa to me is a very lucky boy virtually every week.
Romford
Big X

Postby ammo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Romford wrote:I cannot remember a team that just gets over the line as much as George Graham's Arsenal 20 years ago till now.

Defensive, nasty and very drilled.

Is this really the way forward ?

Sorry Leicester last season for me. Very average, one trick pony way of playing and very lucky (which carried on yesterday).

Chelsea are by far a much better footballing side, it was men against boys when we played them.
ammo

Postby Romford on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Leicester were far more attack minded
Romford
Big X

Postby maltab on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Fair play to Chelsea.They certainly know how to fall about the floor.
maltab

Postby Romford on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:40 pm

maltab wrote:Fair play to Chelsea.They certainly know how to fall about the floor.

Costa is all about giving it then going down when he gets retaliated on...very much in the Mark Hughes mode when he was at Chelsea.

As for the bit about "men against boys" line earlier...I still think if we scored first it would of been interesting. Weren't in City's league...
Romford
Big X

Postby sendô on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Rock solid at the back, highly competitive in midfield and fast and dangerous going forward. They can dominate possession or play on the counter attack yet always look dangerous. Fair play to Conte, he's a great manager.
sendô

Postby Romford on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:45 pm

sendô wrote:Rock solid at the back, highly competitive in midfield and fast and dangerous going forward. They can dominate possession or play on the counter attack yet always look dangerous. Fair play to Conte, he's a great manager.

I can't remember a game when they have dominated anything....
Romford
Big X

Postby ageing hammer on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:53 pm

sendô wrote:Rock solid at the back, highly competitive in midfield and fast and dangerous going forward. They can dominate possession or play on the counter attack yet always look dangerous. Fair play to Conte, he's a great manager.

It's Maureen's team just that they stopped playing for him and Conte took over and told them to play or leave.
ageing hammer

Postby Francoisvander or else on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Average possession of 54% per game, hardly dominating for a team with so much wealth and talent at its disposal.
Francoisvander or else

Postby Iron George on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Agree with Romford that City were far better against us than Chelsea, but over the season Chelsea have been relentless, grinding out odd goal wins when City either win 4-0 or lose.

On their day , when they all fancy it, City are a better team - sadly for those of us that despise Chelsea they have too many days when they don't really fancy it.

And credit to Conte, making players like Sideshow and Cahill look like solid defenders is a feat in itself.
Iron George

Postby aaronhammer on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Chelsea (Conte), Leicester, Chelsea (Mourinho).

All have won it with defensive based tactics which Allardyce and Pulis would be proud of - yet ridiculed by many.
aaronhammer

Postby Yea Why Not on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Romford wrote:Leicester were far more attack minded

Yet Chelsea will score more goals this season than Leicester did last
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby hammers92 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:03 pm

How many of the last 10 years of title winners played attractive free flowing football? I can only think of Pellegrini's City side but that's it. If you want to win this league you have to know how to get the job done on a consistent basis, and the majority of past title winners have done that without playing that great football. It's why Jose has won it 3 times now, why Conte is on his way to winning it and why Fergie did it relentlessly. Something that the likes of Pep and Klopp are gonna have to start understanding, Wenger seems to have completely forgotten.
hammers92

Postby only1post on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Detest the likes of Costa and Fabregas but would I feel the same way if they played for us?
Love the way they break at speed with Hazard, Willian & Pedro and how their wing backs get into advanced positions.
They can do this because of their quality CMs,. Kante would be my player of the season.
I think that Leicester proved last season you do not need to dominate possession and by the end of the season Chelsea would have scored probably ten more goals than them.
As for being dirty only Bournemouth have conceded less fouls.
only1post

Postby hammers92 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 pm

aaronhammer wrote:Chelsea (Conte), Leicester, Chelsea (Mourinho).

All have won it with defensive based tactics which Allardyce and Pulis would be proud of - yet ridiculed by many.

Leicester aside, it's about winning at the top and being successful every season. Clubs like ours who don't compete there have more room to manoeuvre in how we choose to play and style. It's all about winning with the big clubs, nothing else.
hammers92

Postby Romford on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Yea Why Not wrote:
Yet Chelsea will score more goals this season than Leicester did last

So they should with the players they have at their disposal....
Romford
Big X

Postby Romford on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:08 pm

hammers92 wrote:How many of the last 10 years of title winners played attractive free flowing football? I can only think of Pellegrini's City side but that's it. If you want to win this league you have to know how to get the job done on a consistent basis, and the majority of past title winners have done that without playing that great football. It's why Jose has won it 3 times now, why Conte is on his way to winning it and why Fergie did it relentlessly. Something that the likes of Pep and Klopp are gonna have to start understanding, Wenger seems to have completely forgotten.

You think Fergie's sides weren't entertaining ?
Romford
Big X

Next

Return to General Discussion