Chelsea...worst ever winners ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Chelsea...worst ever winners ?

Postby TheHandOfDog on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 pm

I dislike Chelsea as much as the next guy, maybe even a bit more due to a family member supporting them. But they are the 2nd highest scorers in the league so far this season and when they won it under Mourinho in 14/15 they were 2nd highest scorers also. And let us not forget that in 09/10 under Ancelotti they scored over 100 if I remember right, smashing quite a few teams for 6+ goals.

I think Leicester are the worst ever winners. The players especially.
TheHandOfDog

Postby D C on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 am

Lots of goals scored does not necessarily equal good football, they scored 3 at City and were diabolically cynical, 3 counter attacks though. Under Ancelotti was the most entertaining they were though IMO of course.

I think they're pretty average and I find it jokes that the media is singling out any one of the back 7 individually since playing in a system like that as a defensive player is the easiest job in the world.
D C

Postby SirStoneyOfBow on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 am

I always felt that Jose Mourinho's Chelsea sides were far worse in terms of "entertaining champions", and it may be down to his attitude and hypocrisy towards other teams. I often recall those Chelsea sides getting lucky more than once and held onto single digit leads and scraped through. I found it unforgivable a man could be so salty when results don't go their way and make claims like 'parking the bus' or 'the better side lost' when playing similar negative tactics to hold onto a lead.
While Conte's Chelsea aren't leaps and bounds above it on the pitch I don't find myself resenting their style of play as much. It's not as entertaining as the Ancelotti team that won a few years ago but they are easily the best team in England this season.
SirStoneyOfBow

Postby Jeffcoate321 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:07 pm

D C wrote:I think they're pretty average and I find it jokes that the media is singling out any one of the back 7 individually since playing in a system like that as a defensive player is the easiest job in the world.

easiest job in the world? we were still ***** playing with three at the back.
this Chelsea side is class. Not the best, but certainly not the worst title winners.
Jeffcoate321

Postby Estuary on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:20 pm

They wouldn't be in my top three best, but they are a very good team. You can't play that disciplined counter attacking without being well coached and having good players. They are much better than a Mourinho team, they remind me of Clough's Forest, very solid back line, and lightning fast counter attacking.
Personally I find teams like City very boring to watch, they have so little character as players and as a team.
Man Utd style wise have been the best team coming to UP over the decades, far more exciting to watch than Liverpool were in the 70's and 80's.
Estuary

Postby LeonRivers on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:22 pm

You will never find an uglier winner of anything than Leicester's title winning side. Proper scummy.
LeonRivers

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:49 pm

I would not be bothered one iota if we won the Premier League title and people referred to us a the "worst ever winners" - as I am sure Chelsea dont give a **** either, and they are far from the worst ever winners. That title belongs to Leeds United. Their title-winning side of the 70's left a lasting impact on me, as they did on the shins of most of their opponents back then, dirty cheating bastards.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby WoodfordJnr on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:05 pm

I wouldn't say they are the worst winners ? scored 59 goals so far this season with 10 games left... even they score 1 goal per game for the rest of the season they'd of beat Leicester's scoring tally.
WoodfordJnr

Postby SpongeBob's Pants on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Chelsea are better to watch under Conte then they were under Jose.

Agree with this.

Hazard and Pedro cause havoc, with a bit of creativity added from others.
SpongeBob's Pants

Postby Nr9iron on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Exactly true mate,they have been a very very boring side with what's at their disposal and in Kante they have someone who does a hell of a lot of work but to me is not a great player,in the whole which I have been saying for years clubs have athletes not footballers. We were lucky we saw some good players and some bad ones.
Nr9iron

Postby Westbourne Bill on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Not only would I agree that Conte's side are easier on the eye than Mourinho's team , but without Terry , Lampard , Cole and Jose himself they're marginally less detestable. Apart from Costa, Hazard and Fabregas of course.
Westbourne Bill

Postby simon1982 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 pm

hammer1975 wrote:Perhaps it's become an era of athletes over skill. Teams that physically grind out results seem to have become all the rage. Ref's allowing all the little stuff not helped with that, the 'big six' are in a class of their own for sharing around little trips to break counters early when they play against teams like us.

In regards to your last point it's very clever and something I wish ours would take on board. As a team we are so wet behind the ears.
simon1982

Postby ammo on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

LeonRivers wrote:You will never find an uglier winner of anything than Leicester's title winning side. Proper scummy.

Spot on.

I think Romford said earlier in the thread that Leicester last year attacked more than Chelsea this year - I totally disagree. I think Chelsea are prepared to take the game to the opposition whereas Leicester sat back, soaked up the pressure and then when regaining possession kicked a long ball over the top to Vardy at virtually every opportunity. I am sure Chelsea's possession stats are far superior to Leicester's last year.

Pedro, Hazard, Costa, Willian and Fabregas are very good footballers, no matter what we think of them as people. I really would not put any of Leicester's current team in the same bracket as them. Kante knew - he made the right decision it would seem.
ammo

Postby StevePottsGoalsReel on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:06 am

LeonRivers wrote:You will never find an uglier winner of anything than Leicester's title winning side. Proper scummy.

Nah, at least Leicester had the occasional flair player like Mahrez and, erm, Marc Albrighton.

The correct answer to this is Greece 2004 and possibly always will be. Basically a Pulis-esque pub side winning a tournament full of players like Zinedine Zidane and Cristiano Ronaldo.
StevePottsGoalsReel

Postby rciron on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Good team, good. manager as their league position shows but I hate the muggy pony ***** :thdn:
rciron

Postby Jumby on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:01 am

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote:The correct answer to this is Greece 2004 and possibly always will be. Basically a Pulis-esque pub side winning a tournament full of players like Zinedine Zidane and Cristiano Ronaldo.

James Buster Douglas made me fall in love with underdogs and that Greece side reaffirmed that love. A team that tackled, marked and tracked as if their lives depended on it and gave the ball to Theo Zagorakis to work some magic, which he often did in that tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJyV-PM74b8

When they won the final I remember me and my mate laughing hard whilst his dad was just gobsmacked, he'd put money on Ronaldo scoring and Portugal winning!
Jumby

Postby hammerman11 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:52 am

doubt chelsea will care. all winners are despised apart from leicester last season.

Hate chelsea with a passion but would love us to play like them. strong fast free scoring good tactics.

Chelsea have always had players one could hate and this side is no different costa is a horrible player but he scores and unsettles teams. fabregas a snidey player but sets up goals and scores.

chelsea fullydeserve the title. They are the best team with the best player in the league, Kante.
hammerman11

Postby JerseyHammer on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:56 am

Be interesting to see how they cope with Europe next season.
JerseyHammer

Postby hammerman11 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 am

They will cope fine as they are a more solid team than city,arsenal or spurs. I hope they dont win the champs league but they will do well.

They have the money to strengthen and will make 30-40m purchases. Different league to us I am afraid.
hammerman11

Postby RayleighHammer23 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:31 am

They are by far the best team we have played this season. (Home League game).
RayleighHammer23

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion