We lack toughness these days

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: We lack toughness these days

Postby e17 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm

I thought of Dicksy as soon as I saw Pearce too :thup:

Single handedly keeping us up in 96-97 before Hartson, Kitson & Lomas came in, having the best individual season of any WHU player I can remember in 95-96

Now there's a bloke who took games by the scruff
e17

Postby rossmundo on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:28 pm

We could do with a couple of Tomas Repka style players in the team for sure.
rossmundo

Postby mattyD on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Someone just needs to remind Slav that the game starts when it kicks off. He's very big on not over committing early on but so many times we only start after the other team does something..... and it also seems to reflect in the team spirit. I'm not saying surround the ref like watford or bournemouth did but get in the face of the oppo or the ref if you need to back someone up or put someone in their place.
mattyD

Postby fmgod on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 pm

On paper we have about 5 captains on the pitch

Reid New Zealand captain
Fonte Southampton captain
Noble West Ham/England U21
Koyate International captain
Snodgrass Leeds captain
Last edited by fmgod on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod

Postby Jumby on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Kouyate English captain? I don't see leadership qualities in him at all.
Jumby

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Jumby wrote:Kouyate English captain? I don't see leadership qualities in him at all.

He's the Senegalese captain.....I'm guessing spellcheck error.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Rocketron on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:22 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Could do with some of this......................

Puff Daddy wrote:Jesus Christ

Puff, you claim to be over 50 and a lifelong Hammer.
Why the response to such a well known picture?
Rocketron

Postby Exiledin cardiff on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Rocket I don't think Puff was saying like an exclamation, more along the lines that is who Bonzo resembles in the photo,

I remember Stuart Robson used to put himself about a bit as did big old Clyde Best, We need some characters in the squad, Some who lead from the front and don't shy away, and are not scared of the ball hitting them.

Maybe Slav can get Bonzo in the changing room to give the motivational gee up, there just seems no aggressive leader in the team. We should be tackling like hammers not like the powder puff girls.
Exiledin cardiff

Postby MadMart on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:12 pm

This is indeed an integral part of what we are lacking - can we have a new Tomas Repka please...
MadMart

Postby Believer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 pm

I may well get slaughtered for this but I'd be looking at bringing Nolan back as a coach and Parker. We need players or ex-players who know what we as fans want. I've no doubt that Noble does his bit on the training ground but he can't do it alone.

Nolan, Parker, Ashton, Collison for the youngsters. Grit in the middle of the park, guile up front and class for the kids.
Believer

Postby Colours never run on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:33 am

e17 wrote:Collins is about as tough as a modern day premier league defender gets

How often does he play these days? There's no good having it if we don't use it. I'm not sure the Club will be keeping him on for much longer either, possibly out the door in the summer.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Jumby on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 am

These players are professional footballers, highly paid competitive sportsmen, they shouldn't require motivational speeches, extra coaching on understanding the company they work for etc. it's ridiculous. If I can tackle like my life depends on it, track my man all night and be prepared to put my body on the line at all times in a six a side league that I pay to play in these players should be able to do at least that at their, paid, level, at least.
Jumby

Postby Beavis Danzig on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:45 am

fmgod wrote:On paper we have about 5 captains on the pitch

Reid New Zealand captain
Fonte Southampton captain
Noble West Ham/England U21
Koyate International captain
Snodgrass Leeds captain

ayew captains ghana and nordtveit (wherever he may be) captained monchengladbach too.
Beavis Danzig

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:57 am

I think Noble will be an important player for us after the break. He is the nearest we have to grit and toughness but has been poor this season. Time to deliver now.

we have some time to regroup with only a handful of players away on internationals. Time for slav to clear his head and sort out the dip in form. The next 4 games are crucial for the rest of the season.

Hull, sunderand and arsenal away = 4pts min required.
swansea home = 3pts required.

If we get the 7 pts then we are safe and will play with more freedom. If we dont we will tense up and struggle further.
hammerman11

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:20 am

Puff Daddy wrote:

Jesus Christ[/quote]
Not far off.
DaveWHU1964

Postby Rocket on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 am

Het-Field wrote:Pearce broke his leg twice in 1999/2000, and returned the following season to play 42 games in all competitions. The man was 39 at the time. I wonder what the "Special One" would say about that since he is now championing tired players.

Of course he was able to play 42 games, he'd had a good rest the season before. :wink:
Rocket

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:07 am

Puff Daddy wrote:

Jesus Christ[/quote]
DaveWHU1964 wrote:Not far off.

Indeed, I had him one position higher so to speak .Although I do now have a tune in my head going , Billy Bonds, Superstar, do you think you're what they say you are !

( with apologies to any posters with strong religious beliefs and anyone that liked the Lloyd webber / Rice thing )
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Harry Hound on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 am

the pink palermo wrote:Although I do now have a tune in my head going , Billy Bonds, Superstar, do you think you're what they say you are !

( with apologies to any posters with strong religious beliefs and anyone that liked the Lloyd webber / Rice thing )

This is the tune in my head :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtw5mZ_p3og
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby Burnley Hammer on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:25 am

Believer wrote:I may well get slaughtered for this but I'd be looking at bringing Nolan back as a coach

Not sure he'd want to come back simply as a coach. He's currently doing very well managing at Notts County. Turned their form around with 5 wins and 2 draws since beginning of February, and has steered them away from relegation. They're looking a lot safer now. He appears to have instilled some belief into the team, which must have been difficult as they'd managed to go a stretch of 13 league games without a win before he got the job. I personally think we should have offered him the assistant managers job.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Sloffy on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:51 am

Its not toughness we lack........... its fitness

Consistently conceding late goals, players looking like they are blowing after 70 mins, loads of players always injured - those Europa league qualifiers we looked like a load of Sunday football fatties...........yes I'm aware it was pre-season, but still.

Toughness is over-rated. Fitness and pace are key, We've got none.
Sloffy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion