Pablo Zabaleta: two-year contract signed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Pablo Zabaleta: two-year contract signed

Postby Lil Joe 17 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:30 am

My comment certainly wasnt sarcastic, genuinely believe he has been our best signing
Lil Joe 17

Postby Doc H Ball on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:50 am

He's got great positional sense, but it's like watching Nora Batty on Tramadol. Opposition teams will continue to clip a ball into space when he pushes up field and then we're ****ed. It happened repeatedly today.

If he's been our best signing, then we are in deep trouble.
Doc H Ball

Postby Kialos on Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:13 am

Doc H Ball wrote:If he's been our best signing, then we are in deep trouble.

The good news is that he was obviously not our best signing in the window; the bad news is we are still in deep trouble.
Kialos

Postby Doc H Ball on Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:19 am

:)
Doc H Ball

Postby Clucking Bell on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:20 am

Doc H Ball wrote:He's got great positional sense, but it's like watching Nora Batty on Tramadol. Opposition teams will continue to clip a ball into space when he pushes up field and then we're ****ed. It happened repeatedly today.

If he's been our best signing, then we are in deep trouble.

Let's be honest, every manager in the league has told his players to chip the ball into the place where our right back is supposed to be. We make crap left wingers look brilliant.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby englebert on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:44 pm

I don't think zabaleta is an issue at right back. The way the team plays is. In other clubs it seems every team defends as a team. Wingers help the full backs, midfielders cover. Even players like David Silva put a shift in. Our wide men don't seem to understand the need to defend. Zabaleta gets very exposed and left one on one constantly
englebert

Postby Believer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Where we will improve is if we can get a settled defence. If we are going 4231 then if we can keep Zab, Reid, Ogbonna and Cresswell fit and playing regularly as a unit, we will be better. Throw in a proper DM to play alongside Obiang (if he is still here) and we are good to go.
Believer

Postby bubbles500 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Was quite shocked by Martin keowns comments on MOTD2 .Basically questioned why we are playing him at RB when everyone in the game knows his legs are gone.Surely they signed him to play as a DM.Normally quite rate keown as a pundit.Was talkin like it was common knowledge within the game that his legs had gone.
bubbles500

Postby The Gibbins on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 pm

To be honest, i was well pleased with this signing but it looks clear to me his legs are not up to the task of playing as a right back. He could play as a limited full back but then you have no options in attack. He cannot do this high tempo full back role that you need in the modern game, he gets caught out as he did a few times yesterday and against Man Utd. I think he would be decent as a right sided centre back in a back three and it would give Byram much needed game time in his preferred attacking full back role. I think he showed real improvement at the back end of last season.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby chappo59 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:00 pm

He's probably at the John Terry stage of his career if his legs hadn't have gone City wouldn't have let him go.

As someone said earlier, great positional sense but pace is finding him out
chappo59

Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon

Postby carnage on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:02 pm

His legs have gone, Keown knew it so do most of football. That's why I am surprised he was Bikic's 1st choice.
carnage

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm

If Zabaleta can't get up and down, stop asking him to do it. Keep the full backs tight and tweak the system. Not very team plays with gung-ho full backs.
This is the point re:Bilic. He has had most of preseason to assess what players can and can't do. Find a way of playing that suits them
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Rocketron on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:54 pm

bubbles500 wrote:Was quite shocked by Martin keowns comments on MOTD2 .Basically questioned why we are playing him at RB when everyone in the game knows his legs are gone.Surely they signed him to play as a DM.Normally quite rate keown as a pundit.Was talkin like it was common knowledge within the game that his legs had gone.

If he were RB in a 3 with WBs ahead, it might not be a problem.
The problem is our Manager doesn't want to play that system.
Rocketron

Postby MB on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:11 pm

Most people knew he would need protecting when he signed. That means either limiting his role, playing a more defensive option at right midfield or slotting him in at CB or DM.

Seems Bilic is one of the few who couldn't see this.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby Burnley Hammer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:08 pm

I've been saying from the beginning that he should be playing DM with Byram playing right back. He'd have done a better job in that role than anyone else that's attempted it this season so far.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 pm

Why is Zabaleta getting criticised for the facts that:

a) The midfield can't be trusted to retain the ball;
b) The midfield 'screen' is too slow to cover his arse if he moves forward;

Fonte is copping for it too. And Ogbonna.

The 'heart' of the team needs a ****ing pacemaker fitted.
bubbles1966

Postby Believer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:33 pm

carnage wrote:His legs have gone, Keown knew it so do most of football. That's why I am surprised he was Bikic's 1st choice.

It was the clubs choice. I don't think Bilic has ever come out and stated categorically that he targeted him. Maybe if he was told he can have any of the available free transfer RBs then he picked him but I'd guess he would rather have got Aurier from PSG that Spurs are about to sign. No way did Slav identify Zabaleta as a "must have" signing.
Believer

Postby Rocket on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:45 pm

I can never help but wonder whether a player was chosen by the manager or the owners.
Rocket

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Believer wrote:
It was the clubs choice. I don't think Bilic has ever come out and stated categorically that he targeted him. Maybe if he was told he can have any of the available free transfer RBs then he picked him but I'd guess he would rather have got Aurier from PSG that Spurs are about to sign. No way did Slav identify Zabaleta as a "must have" signing.

You don't know it was the club's choice any more than anyone else on this forum. I expect a Bilic woukd also like Messi as well. Doesn't mean he can have him

No manager outide the top six gets the players they 'want" thy have to deal with what thty can get
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Believer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
You don't know it was the club's choice any more than anyone else on this forum. I expect a Bilic woukd also like Messi as well. Doesn't mean he can have him

No manager outide the top six gets the players they 'want" thy have to deal with what thty can get

I don't know but I suspect. People are suggesting that Bilic picked him. My thoughts are that he didn't. I don't believe that of all the RBs out there that Bilic would target one who has clearly lost his pace. He wanted to play Antonio as an attacking RB so why would he sign a slow and ageing Zabaleta for that position ?

It just doesn't add up to me. Like most of the signings we've made in the last couple of seasons don't make much sense to me. I think Bilic has been quite vocal in his desire for speed and pace so why have we signed Zabaleta, Snodgrass, Arbeloa, Fonte, Nortveidt or even Ayew ? I get Feghouli, and Masuaku but others like those mentioned - do you reckon Bilic asked the board for those ? Do you reckon he asked for any of them ?
Believer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion