Pablo Zabaleta: two-year contract signed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Pablo Zabaleta: two-year contract signed

Postby James P on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:09 pm

Rocket wrote:I can never help but wonder whether a player was chosen by the manager or the owners.

It's a ridiculous situation but I agree totally.

This club is screwed in seemingly every single way.
James P

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Believer wrote: I don't believe that of all the RBs out there that Bilic would target one who has clearly lost his pace.

Out of the 10 that took to the field for us yesterday (GK excluded), where would Zabaleta rank,pace wise?
bubbles1966

Postby Believer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:27 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:
Out of the 10 that took to the field for us yesterday (GK excluded), where would Zabaleta rank,pace wise?

Well he is probably quicker than Noble and Collins maybe Ayew. Not sure to be honest but he ain't a patch on Antonio which is my point. He was after playing Antonio as an attacking RB so clearly wanted someone rapid. That ain't Zabaleta IMO. If he was after a player with similar pace to Antonio he would not be looking to sign Zabaleta
Believer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:39 pm

More likely Bilic realised that to play his preferred 4-2-1-3 system he needed a proper right back tgat was an upgrade on Byram.
A vastly experienced international RB became available. It may not be his first choice if he had choice of any RB in the world but was a no-brainer.
Unless of course someone can name a realistic RB target that he preferred above Zab that the owners said no to?
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Believer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:More likely Bilic realised that to play his preferred 4-2-1-3 system he needed a proper right back tgat was an upgrade on Byram.
A vastly experienced international RB became available. It may not be his first choice if he had choice of any RB in the world but was a no-brainer.
Unless of course someone can name a realistic RB target that he preferred above Zab that the owners said no to?

Very possibly the case. However I actually think his preferred formation is more along the lines of 352.

Who knows ? Certainly not me ! :P
Believer

Postby bubbles500 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:50 am

Said all along doing it on the cheap loans and frees 30+ eventually will catch up with you.Didnt actually think it would be this quick.If you look at our xi that finished the game I'd hazard a guess it was oldest combined age in the league.
bubbles500

Postby hammerman11 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 am

zabaleta is fine as a RB with a right side midfielder who tracks back and supports him. a RWB he is not .

we dont do that and thus zabaleta is being targetted and found wanting.

against newcastle our midfield of noble rice and fernandez did nothing and thus zaqbaleta was easily exposed.

surely bilic is aware of this and should deploy a system that provides some cover.

picking that midfield 3 handed the game to newcastle who outfought out passed out run our lot for ease.
hammerman11

Postby noblecause on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 pm

Deserves a bump after tonight. Our hardest running, hardest working and best player tonight. Never gave up pressing, leading to forced errors and possession for us. Thought his legs had gone if you listen to some.
noblecause

Postby aaronhammer on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Incredible in the 1st half, was then on the back foot after the yellow in the 2nd half, just shows what many of us have been saying for a few years about missing a good right back!
aaronhammer

Postby hamstas_paradise on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:28 am

Yes he was terrific tonight pressing, tackling and getting forward. You could see the quality and he didn't look Leggy to me. Huddersfield weren't great but they were a relatively young side so ought to have had some quick players but PZ never looked short of pace.
Last edited by hamstas_paradise on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
hamstas_paradise

Postby Pepin on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:58 am

I heard his legs have gone from too many experts. I made my own opinion based on what I saw today. I am perfectly fine with his pace and stamina tbh.
Pepin

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:34 am

Superb energy tonight , may not be the great wing-back of old but a fantastic right back still and full of passion .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby kayahammer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:57 am

Pepin wrote:I heard his legs have gone from too many experts. I made my own opinion based on what I saw today. I am perfectly fine with his pace and stamina tbh.

His legs are fine by the look of it. Up and down the right all night. Good show Pab
kayahammer

Postby Iron-on-transfer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 am

Thought Zab was great tonight and his fitness levels considering his age puts some of our other lot to shame. Just shows what a proper training regime at Citeh for 9 years does for a player.
Iron-on-transfer

Postby Burnley Hammer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 am

He was great yesterday, and just as notable was the fact that he received excellent support from fonts, and from obiang.

In fact, if you look at obiangs 8 attempted tackles yesterday, 4 came on the right and 4 on the left. None in the centre. He did a lot to help those wingbacks.

A proper team effort.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:53 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:
In fact, if you look at obiangs 8 attempted tackles yesterday, 4 came on the right and 4 on the left. None in the centre. He did a lot to help those wingbacks.

Good observation, BH :thup:
somerset-hammer

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 am

Gave Antonio a run for his money for MOTM. That sort of pressing and energy is infectious which can only be good for the team.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby fmgod on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 am

Thought he was out of position 90% of the time, far too forward(luck Huddersfield are rubbish) but performed well, an incredible amount of running and effort
fmgod

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:33 am

your legs never go at full back... look at lucas neill coming in and getting our defence sorted

now we have zabs doing the same

brilliant player

I think our best summer signing
mumbles87

Postby fjthegrey on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:33 am

A better player when he isn't having to defend deep. Like virtually all of our full backs.

Played well yesterday. Huddersfield were jank though.
fjthegrey

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion