Pablo Zabaleta: two-year contract signed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Pablo Zabaleta: two-year contract signed

Postby Patito on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:57 am

hammerman11 wrote:zabaleta is fine as a RB with a right side midfielder who tracks back and supports him. a RWB he is not .

we dont do that and thus zabaleta is being targetted and found wanting.

Oh dear
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby MB on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 am

fmgod wrote:Thought he was out of position 90% of the time, far too forward(luck Huddersfield are rubbish) but performed well, an incredible amount of running and effort

Depends what position you think he was playing. The way Fonte waa slotting in made it look like Zab was meant to be playing right midfield rather than right wing back.

So i would say it was a plan rather than him being out of position.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby fmgod on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am

The problem is that's fine against Huddersfield as they are dreadful but he was the same in the other games and we've been punished, I don't mind him getting forward but it's a bit of a joke he is basically playing right wing at times, massively out of position
fmgod

Postby MB on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:28 am

True enough, we couldn't do that every week and better teams would have targetted Fonte and Collins more than we saw last night.

That is when the central midfielders need to earn their corn or Bilic needs to show he can put the dampeners on Cresswell and Zab.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby Rocketron on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 pm

fmgod wrote:The problem is that's fine against Huddersfield as they are dreadful but he was the same in the other games and we've been punished, I don't mind him getting forward but it's a bit of a joke he is basically playing right wing at times, massively out of position

So dreadful that that was their first defeat of the season and our first win?
Rocketron

Postby Colours never run on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:05 pm

That was more like the Zabaleta I came to enjoy watching before. His first real decent game for us and hopefulmy we'll see more of the same now he's got thst one under his belt. He looked as fit as a flea flying around up and down the wing.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Colours never run on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Rocketron wrote:So dreadful that that was their first defeat of the season and our first win?

And conceding their 1st goals 3 games and 1 half of football later. They deserve more respect for how difficult they can be to break down and we managed it where others have failed under huge pressure to produce it.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby bitter-iron-ny on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Hope that he continues to be left out of Argentina squad. Definitely helped that he didn't have to fly halfway around the world to play 180 minutes of international football.
bitter-iron-ny

Postby WHU Independent on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Apart from his booking I though he played excellently last night and was my personal MOTM. Why?

In no particular order: 110% effort: Really good attacking runs: Top defensive duties: Linked up with the guys in front of him excellent: Never gave up: Good in the air: passionate: committed in the tackle: Superb overlapping: Confident on the ball: determined: Terrified the oppositions defenders, crossed well. Etc etc
WHU Independent

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:12 pm

WHU Independent wrote:Apart from his booking I though he played excellently last night and was my personal MOTM. Why?

In no particular order: 110% effort: Really good attacking runs: Top defensive duties: Linked up with the guys in front of him excellent: Never gave up: Good in the air: passionate: committed in the tackle: Superb overlapping: Confident on the ball: determined: Terrified the oppositions defenders, crossed well. Etc etc

Agree with all of that, but I think it was because he had the confidence that Fonte was behind him to cover when needed, who I thought also had a good game
hammerdivone

Postby Lil Joe 17 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:36 pm

RB's hardly get recognised but considering how important it was for us, how well he has done, how he has proven his "legs havent gone" and (as much as people may hate me for this) how early the board got this signing completed I'd say he's comfortably been signing of the season so far.
Lil Joe 17

Postby TheHandOfDog on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Proving one of the signings of the season so far. Been excellent in my opinion being a RB in a side that has lost 4 of its opening 6 games, don't hear that often.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Junco Partner on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Our only defender I 100% trust.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby 61dicksey on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:35 pm

The man is a consumate proffessional , gives his all , obviously keeps very fit shame we only have one of him.
61dicksey

Postby GaryP on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:37 pm

61dicksey wrote:The man is a consumate proffessional , gives his all , obviously keeps very fit shame we only have one of him.

Excellent again today. He must have had a real culture shock coming here with some of the dross around him.
GaryP

Postby fmgod on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:42 pm

He must do his own training as his fitness levels and considering his age, he looks faster than most of our players years his junior
fmgod

Postby mightyhammer on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:00 pm

fmgod wrote:He must do his own training as his fitness levels and considering his age, he looks faster than most of our players years his junior

Fitter yes, faster no :wink: I really like this guy....was targeted by the oppo at the beginning and unfairly criticised when they got past him (kinda happens when you tag team a player and your teammates don't help out), but he's mustard. I love Antonio, but if he's out, would like to see Byram in front of him, interchanging.
mightyhammer

Postby MilHammer on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:31 pm

61dicksey wrote:The man is a consumate proffessional , gives his all , obviously keeps very fit shame we only have one of him.

Professional is the exact word to describe him. Becoming one of my favorite players at the club.
MilHammer

Postby costa75 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Always thought he was class, and that's what he has been so far for us.
costa75

Postby DrVenk on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:00 pm

MilHammer wrote:Professional is the exact word to describe him. Becoming one of my favorite players at the club.

Me too.

Alongside Obiang, he can sure up the midfield. The lack of presence at DM is really very dire now.

Time to blood Byram for the next 4/5 games at RB.
DrVenk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion