Pablo Zabaleta: two-year contract signed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Pablo Zabaleta: two-year contract signed

Postby Kialos on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Lil Joe 17 wrote:Since he's over 28 any bad run of form and he never was going to last with our fans.

He's a good player, had a bad few games in a defense thats been poor all season (with him in it all season to be fair). He's not the only person to blame and he's not the only one at fault.

Leave it out with the snark.

Zabaleta is 32, in Jan 2018 he's 33. His age is relevant because most of us, but not you it seems, understand that at that age a player's performance is likely to decline from when they were at their peak. Fans expressing concern about the average age of the starting 11 and of defence in particular are making informed comments. It is a pity that instead of showing a modicum of understanding you chose to come out with the nonsense in your first sentence.

Not one person on this thread has said Zabaleta is the only person at fault either so yet another example of you making comments based on nothing of substance.
Kialos

Postby dvincent on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12 am

I thought that he was man of the match at DCM today. He covered Byram really well and also allowed Kouyate the freedom to get forward. That crunching tackle on Sako was as good as I've ever seen. He might be a little slower, but I wouldn't be suprised if he covered the most distance today.
dvincent

Postby Blow Bubbles on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:15 am

dvincent wrote:I thought that he was man of the match at DCM today. He covered Byram really well and also allowed Kouyate the freedom to get forward. That crunching tackle on Sako was as good as I've ever seen. He might be a little slower, but I wouldn't be suprised if he covered the most distance today.

Agree... mostly - Noble MOM. But he was excellent and with Byram playing well too I’d like to see Zabaleta as a regular at DM now - certainly beats Obiang, even if the latter hadn’t got the injury.
Blow Bubbles

Postby NW5hammer on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:17 am

Zab was inspirational. A true leader. And he took out one of theirs as well. In a game like that you need to be brave and he was outstanding. Of course, he's slow on the turn and will never be able to press energetically but he stopped us sitting too deep.
NW5hammer

Postby Westbourne Bill on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:18 am

Top performance tonight sensing danger and providing a shield in front of the defence.
Westbourne Bill

Postby HammerMan2004 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:20 am

There goes any chance of spending money on a holding midfielder. Cheers Zaba. :lol:
HammerMan2004

Postby DrVenk on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:23 am

Glad for the fella. Have wanted him there all along. His presence really aids whoever plays alongside him.

Incredible work rate and never bottles anything.
DrVenk

Postby bubbles1966 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 am

NW5hammer wrote: will never be able to press energetically

He's possibly the best at it in the team imo because he reads when to do it and he is so assertive in the tackle.

Others are faster in the feet but slower in the brain.
bubbles1966

Location: "It's no good having an orchestra with the 10 best guitarists if I don't have a pianist"

Postby Blow Bubbles on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:32 am

NW5hammer wrote: will never be able to press energetically

bubbles1966 wrote:He's possibly the best at it in the team imo because he reads when to do it and he is so assertive in the tackle.

Others are faster in the feet but slower in the brain.

Absolutely this. He is probably the best football brain we have. His only fault is his speed these days, and as a result gets done down the wing. DM solves this problem AND allows him to play the game he did tonight. All that and he filled the gap we’ve had for years... why didn’t we try this earlier? I suspect Moyes knew but had to wait for Byram to be back fit.
Blow Bubbles

Postby kayahammer on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:15 am

Our new utility man.

That two year contract looking a year too short me thinks
kayahammer

Postby Burnley Hammer on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:05 am

I've been calling for him to play that position since we signed him... naturally Byrams injury prevented it, but hopefully we've now solved 2 problems... a pacier and more energetic right wing back, and a solid defensive midfielder.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby StackerJJ on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:14 am

Showing how DM should be played. He allowed Byram, Noble, Kouyate all freedom last night. Would love to see more of him in that role.
StackerJJ

Postby sanchoz on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:55 am

StackerJJ wrote:Showing how DM should be played. He allowed Byram, Noble, Kouyate all freedom last night. Would love to see more of him in that role.

Main reason being he has the tactical nous to play that role and full/wing back is a young mans game.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby StackerJJ on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 am

sanchoz wrote:Main reason being he has the tactical nous to play that role and full/wing back is a young mans game.

I agree, I remember he played there against us for Citeh and he was brilliant. I was calling for him to play there when we were going through the bad period under bilic, think he made a huge difference and was certainly an upgrade on Obiang IMO.
StackerJJ

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 pm

DrVenk wrote: Have wanted him there all along.

:clap:
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Like a new (midfield) signing..

:arry:
somerset-hammer

Previous

Return to General Discussion