Dortmund explosion (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Dortmund explosion (non WHU)

Postby fmgod on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Not just from a human's being kind of died kind of perspective but an entire first team squad and coaching staff could've of been wiped out, basically over night Dortmund would've been no more in that sense, what 400-500 mil worth of talent gone in one swoop
fmgod

Postby mushy on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:56 pm

likemydreams wrote:crazy how this isnt getting anywhere near the publicity the man utd coach got last season :eh:

That's because there isn't much to see, unlike in our case .
Which begs another question, is this the only team bus in the last 3 years that had absolutely nobody filming it?
Seems strange to me.
mushy

Postby Doc H Ball on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:01 pm

As an aside, anyone reckon the #bedforawayfans thing would work here? Maybe I'm behind the times and it already is somewhere.

I like mixing with away fans when I can, much prefer drinking in their pubs and getting another slant in the game and life in the city we otherwise just pass through. Except Burnley that is...
Doc H Ball

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Doc H Ball wrote:As an aside, anyone reckon the #bedforawayfans thing would work here? Maybe I'm behind the times and it already is somewhere.

It's a great idea. I think it might.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Doc H Ball on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:24 pm

Up the Junction wrote:It's a great idea. I think it might.

I do too, but I have this recurring image of a lentil eater in a cardigan opening his doors to Hornchurch Coaches and regretting it.
Doc H Ball

Postby ageing hammer on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Yes Doc and it was an even more devastating explosion :D
ageing hammer

Postby Nesticles on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:27 am

Borussia Dortmund bombs: 'Speculator' charged with bus attack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39664212
Nesticles

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Well there you go. Perhaps that'll teach some not to jump to conclusions (I suspect not but one can hope).
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby nickkarkie on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:44 pm

He must have watched Quantum of Solace :lol:
nickkarkie

Postby StevePottsGoalsReel on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Well there you go. Perhaps that'll teach some not to jump to conclusions (I suspect not but one can hope).

:thup:
StevePottsGoalsReel

Postby Fishdo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:21 pm

I had £20 on it not being a terrorist attack...!!!

;)
Fishdo

Postby Rocket on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Well there you go. Perhaps that'll teach some not to jump to conclusions (I suspect not but one can hope).

Well said.
Rocket

Postby fmgod on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 pm

This just got odder and odder and I'm not sure I even believe it now we went from Far Right to terrorist, to terrorist with note to now some bloke trying to make money out of it, also sounds like a web
fmgod

Postby Macca1973 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:30 pm

The one time it turns out not to be a terrorist attack and people want to preach about 'not jumping to conclusions' :lol: It's because 99% of the time it is a certain brand of terrorism.
Macca1973

Postby thejackhammer on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Macca1973 wrote:The one time it turns out not to be a terrorist attack and people want to preach about 'not jumping to conclusions' :lol: It's because 99% of the time it is a certain brand of terrorism.

99% of the time a certain group 'claim' it was them.

That same group had already claimed responsibility for this one, saying 'all major sports teams are a target'. Wasn't even them, they were just scaremongering.
thejackhammer

Postby StevePottsGoalsReel on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Macca1973 wrote:The one time it turns out not to be a terrorist attack and people want to preach about 'not jumping to conclusions' :lol: It's because 99% of the time it is a certain brand of terrorism.

That all rather depends on how keen you are to have your own views confirmed I suspect, not to mention which papers you read.

According to wikipedia, there have been 5 terror attacks in the UK so far this decade, two by far-right nutters and three by Islamist nutters. Not quite 99% either way and I doubt any of us could name the perpetrator in the first incident even though he stabbed a man to death and exploded two nail bombs with the stated intention of kickstarting a "race war". It was barely covered in the press at all.

There's a serious Islamist terror threat globally at the moment, but the vast majority of its victims are Muslims. In the west you are literally more likely to die falling out of bed than in a terror attack, Islamist in nature or not. F6ck all those (including the terrorists) that want to make us scared on a daily basis and want us to blindly hate a group of 1.6bn people in order to further their own political agendas.

Anyway, none of that's particularly relevant to a West Ham forum, but given you went there had to get it off my chest.
StevePottsGoalsReel

Postby RedStar on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:51 pm

I've been visiting UK and staying there for a few weeks and my strongest impression was constant fear of invisible threat which was completely pervasive. You look on one side, there are headlines on possible attacks; you look on another, there's five cameras recording you; you close your eyes for a moment at tube station, then some voice over loudspeakers instruct you where to stand... I wouldn't last a year in that kind of society, you all are heroes for persevering. And I did last through couple of wars and bombings, so I know what pressure is. I guess the dark is scarier than the monster hiding in it.

On the other hand, my people were in war with muslims twice in the last 20 years. We did terrible things to them, but be sure they were fast to embrace radicalism the second the first shots were fired, so the idea of them being lambs is laughable for anyone who knows that, for instance, Bosnians had the first mujahedeen brigade in Europe, whose connection to modern world was love for football while radical islam twist was that they were doing it with heads of Serbian soldiers. Albanian muslims, on the other hand, were into medicine, so they massacred Serbs in a way which provided them opportunity to sell their organs in the black market, mostly to rich EU citizens.

What I'm trying to say is - it's normal to jump into conclusion that muslim terrorists did itbecause they are killing people on the streets of EU every few weeks, while other idiots are doing it every few years. You are not racist if you think "Oh, it's them again", but you are kind of missing point there: it's not about radicalisation of islam, it's about islamisation of radicalism.

I've mention the facts about bosnian muslims and Albanians from Kosovo not to portrait them as beasts, but to make my point more clear: if I don't think that muslims are bad in general and my nation experienced things like that with them for... well, centuries, why should you think that after few lunatics went on a rampage?

Trying to love and forgive and not to think too much of yourself will go a long way in every relationship, both between people and between nations, but will also give you strength to defend those values if need arise. And it probably will, one way or another, because people - Christians, muslims, atheist and all others - are too stupid and/or too greedy.

Sorry about all this, I am nervous before this match and when I am nervous I tend to get talkative and preachy. Nothing to see here. Move along, please.
RedStar

Postby ThreeSixes on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:26 am

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote:
According to wikipedia, there have been 5 terror attacks in the UK so far this decade, two by far-right nutters and three by Islamist nutters. Not quite 99% either way and I doubt any of us could name the perpetrator in the first incident even though he stabbed a man to death and exploded two nail bombs with the stated intention of kickstarting a "race war". It was barely covered in the press at all.

There were over 11,000 terrorist attacks and over 28,000 deaths in 2015. The 99% figure is correct, the figures you are quoting are such a small sample size as to be completely irrelevant.
ThreeSixes

Postby StevePottsGoalsReel on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:03 am

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote:According to wikipedia, there have been 5 terror attacks in the UK so far this decade, two by far-right nutters and three by Islamist nutters. Not quite 99% either way and I doubt any of us could name the perpetrator in the first incident even though he stabbed a man to death and exploded two nail bombs with the stated intention of kickstarting a "race war". It was barely covered in the press at all.

ThreeSixes wrote:There were over 11,000 terrorist attacks and over 28,000 deaths in 2015. The 99% figure is correct, the figures you are quoting are such a small sample size as to be completely irrelevant.

Is it irrelevant? I thought this was a discussion about people speculating about the causes of an apparent terrorist attack in Western Europe and how perceptions of that might be skewed. Seems quite relevant to me.
StevePottsGoalsReel

Previous

Return to General Discussion