West Ham Auction on Official site

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

West Ham Auction on Official site

Postby tizzwoz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 pm

On the official West Ham site they have an "auction page". They are auctioning off memorabilia such as player shirts, boots etc from this season. I am trying to find out what charity the proceeds go to but there doesn't seem to be any information about it (or I have missed it). Does anybody know?

Im giving the benefit of the doubt here to our owners/the club. If these auctions are for profit by the club, then that really is disgusting and completely unnecessary ... Surely they are not that foolish. Someone please tell me money raised does go to charity.
tizzwoz

Re: West Ham Auction on Official site

Postby danm79 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:38 pm

As far as I can work out bar the Poppy shirts I believe this is club revenue
danm79

Postby tizzwoz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 pm

onestuartslater wrote:Is it any different to what these clubs do?

http://store.liverpoolfc.com/souvenirs/signed-souvenirs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://arsenaldirect.arsenal.com/Memor ... /signature" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/produc ... GwodWAgIKg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just cos others do it, doesn't make it alright. Im normally one of the few who stick up for our owners/the club. I dont hammer them regarding investment and I believe that despite their fractious relationship with the fans, they have the clubs best interests at heart. What is the real benefit they get from selling off players gear at the end of the season? To make 5k, 10k, maximum 50k? In the grand scheme of football money, that's pennys. Things like this are real opportunity for the club to claw back some decency. If not for charity, why not give this stuff away to loyal fans via a draw? It just feels like yet another attempt to scrape every last penny from fans at a time when everyone (or almost everyone) is calling them out on doing exactly that.

Maybe every club does do this. Maybe it is the norm. It still leaves a sour taste when you think of how it could be of real benefit to a charity or loyal fan.
tizzwoz

Postby onestuartslater on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 pm

No one is being forced to buy them. Everything just seems to be leaving a bitter taste in everyone's mouth at the moment, people will be moaning about paying to go to football soon, it's just a bit dull...
onestuartslater

Postby Vienna on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Can someone please tell me the link?.
Vienna

Postby Ozza on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 pm

onestuartslater wrote:No one is being forced to buy them. Everything just seems to be leaving a bitter taste in everyone's mouth at the moment, people will be moaning about paying to go to football soon, it's just a bit dull...

It's not really dull is it, there is constant, growing dislike of how this club is run. On its own this is irrelevant, however many will add this (which is fairly crass) to a growing list of things to dislike about the owners which they have a right to do, of course no one is forcing you to read it.
Ozza

Postby tizzwoz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 pm

onestuartslater wrote:No one is being forced to buy them. Everything just seems to be leaving a bitter taste in everyone's mouth at the moment, people will be moaning about paying to go to football soon, it's just a bit dull...

If you don't agree with my opinion, fine. But making silly comments like we'll be moaning about paying to watch football is just quite frankly moronic. It is common place for memorabilia to be auctioned off for charity. The fact that our club (and other clubs) decide to do it for personal profit is distasteful and unnecessary and just another example of how out of touch the club are atm. Yes fans will buy it, of course they will but those same fans, i would argue, would rather that money went to charity.
tizzwoz

Postby Pop Robson on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Pop Robson

Postby Stringey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 pm

I m with you onestuartslater, there is still plenty of merchandise going to charity auctions as I ve been to a couple of events lately where the club have donated. This gives fans the chance to buy some memorabilia, if the club make a few quid then all the better, as you say no one is forced to buy it, people need to stop moaning about everything the club does, it certainly is getting dull!
Stringey

Postby brooking_1980 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 pm

If the Board stopped continually doing crass things and acting against the best interests of the fans, no one would be moaning about them.
brooking_1980

Postby Boooogers! on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:47 pm

Since when was a Feghouli shirt memorabilia?

If they can get more than a tenner for it then I say good luck to them :lol:
Boooogers!

Postby Vienna on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Vienna

Postby Stringey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:04 pm

brooking_1980 wrote:If the Board stopped continually doing crass things and acting against the best interests of the fans, no one would be moaning about them.

I'm afraid they would tho, every board I can think of at West Ham since I ve supported them (42 years) have been moaned about, and some a lot more than this current mob. Virtually every club moans about their owner/ chairman with the exception of Chelsea and Man City.
Stringey

Postby onestuartslater on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 pm

'On its own it's irrelevant' - i think this sums it up, people are looking for any stick to hit the board with.

Indeed, I don't have to read it, but I also have a belief that negativity about the club affects the performance of the team I love, so I am at liberty to challenge it, because I want my club to succeed above and beyond whether or not they make money from signed shirts or popcorn...
onestuartslater

Postby Kialos on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Well we can only aspire to reach your level of fandom.

Until then, us mere mortals will have to content ourselves with expressing an opinion about West Ham on a West Ham internet forum.
Kialos

Postby Kialos on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Stringey wrote:I m with you onestuartslater, there is still plenty of merchandise going to charity auctions as I ve been to a couple of events lately where the club have donated. This gives fans the chance to buy some memorabilia, if the club make a few quid then all the better, as you say no one is forced to buy it, people need to stop moaning about everything the club does, it certainly is getting dull!

Another self appointed uberfan, this time telling everyone they don't agree with that they are dull and need to stop giving their opinion. Get over yourself.
Kialos

Postby Kialos on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm

danm79 wrote:As far as I can work out bar the Poppy shirts I believe this is club revenue

As long as the Poppy shirts are going to charity then I'm not bothered about the rest of the stuff as I wont be buying it. If it was all going to charity I may have bought. I buy a lot of signed pics of WH players from a dealer on twitter who splits the proceeds between Dads on the Pitch charity and West Ham Way website. Also Balls to Cancer sell signed sports memorabilia.
Kialos

Postby Believer on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 pm

Looking at the wording below previous sales, the funds went to the British Legion.

I'm not one to side with the board but it seems to me that this a worthwhile exercise going to a fantastic cause.

EDIT - just realised that those were the poppy shirts referred to above. Oh well....
Believer

Postby mental hamster666 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:49 pm

Any links for Randolph's undercrackers?
mental hamster666

Next

Return to General Discussion