Youth development

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Youth development

Postby bobd_uk on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm

bubbles500 wrote:Cheers for mirror article very interesting.Hard to believe anyone is faster than traore he certainly looks fastest with naked eye.

The fact that it has Noble as our 3rd fastest player tells us all we need to know about the lack of pace in our team! Does anyone know if Quina has pace?
bobd_uk

Postby YorksHammer on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:07 pm

bobd_uk wrote:The fact that it has Noble as our 3rd fastest player tells us all we need to know about the lack of pace in our team! Does anyone know if Quina has pace?

Depends on how you look at it - Noble in that article was less than 200 metres per hour slower than Kouyate who is regularly praised for his speed. He has the same speed as Batshuayi who is thought to be pacey and powerful.

However, overall the stats show that our team is one of the slower ones in the league.

But that said, broadly speaking every player on this list is in a bracket between 34kph and 35kph. Only 10 players clocked a speed of more than 35kph in the league. They're all of a reasonably similar speed, in that respect.
YorksHammer

Postby thejackhammer on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 pm

If these are top speeds reached it doesn't tell us much. Pace is more about acceleration, especially when running with the ball from a standing start.

Traore has real acceleration, meaning he can stop with the ball and burst past people leaving defenders flat footed. Kouyate, Antonio and Masuaku have this too.

Noble might be able to run from one end of the pitch to the other and reach a similar top speed, but someone like Antonio hits that too speed much much earlier.
thejackhammer

Postby bubbles500 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Yeah I think speed over 10 yards is much more useful than top speed.Top speed only really comes into play with balls over the top ,those vardy type runs.A burst of speed all round is much more useful.Actually thought Arthur has looked very fast,but maybe he didn't play enough to feature.
bubbles500

Postby vaz te's bonnet on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:49 am

However all the teams have a balance of big athletic guys and ball players.
Looking at the kids we have in and around they all seem to be quite quick and one thing thats always been the case with our academy is that they are good with their feet.
vaz te's bonnet

Postby Ozza on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:50 am

I'm sorry Mr Gold but as the owner of this great club, you set the plan for what happens to our academy and youth players, dumping your accountability on the manager you employ because "it's all about results and the managers are under pressure" isn't acceptable in my eyes.

And saying that we can't have success on the field AND produce kids, why the hell not seeing as other clubs seem to do it?

We aren't going to win the league, unlikely that we get into the top 6, at best we are a 6-10 team, outrageous that we can't produce kids, in my eye's it's just one other thing you have destroyed about this club!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... y-be-over/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ozza

Postby Kialos on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:11 am

Having seen the shitstorm he created on twitter a few weeks ago he's now decided to say the same thing in the national press. Silly old man.
Kialos

Postby bobd_uk on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:34 am

Ozza wrote:outrageous that we can't produce kids, in my eye's it's just one other thing you have destroyed about this club!

Our problem producing kids goes back further than G&S. We've had very little since the late 90s. I reckon Tomkins and Noble are the only ones since the Cole, Carrick, Lampard, Johnson era aren't they?
bobd_uk

Postby Kialos on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Off the top of my head Anton Ferdinand and Junior Stanislas both play/ed at PL level
Kialos

Postby bobd_uk on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 pm

Kialos wrote:Off the top of my head Anton Ferdinand and Junior Stanislas both play/ed at PL level

Yep, Ferdinand certainly. Stanislas was never really established with us though IMO. Only played 47 games over 3 seasons, so 15 games a season on average. Has only really established himself anywhere in the last 18 months (he left us in 2011).
bobd_uk

Postby Kialos on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:05 pm

I think we are talking about different things, but as far as West Ham playing careers are concerned I get hat you are saying.

I was referring to academy players who reached PL level not just those who played for us. If we can produce and sell good quality players that is also a positive reason why the Academy should be taken seriously by the owners. Forward thinking and well run clubs know this.
Kialos

Postby bobd_uk on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:50 pm

Kialos wrote:I think we are talking about different things, but as far as West Ham playing careers are concerned I get hat you are saying.

I was referring to academy players who reached PL level not just those who played for us. If we can produce and sell good quality players that is also a positive reason why the Academy should be taken seriously by the owners. Forward thinking and well run clubs know this.

Oh, I completely agree with you. We should absolutely keep and develop the academy. My point was just that the academy hasn't produced enough for a long time now. And we're not letting go of players who are good enough for us either. Stanislas is the only one who now gets regular PL playing time and he had a few seasons with Burnley where he struggled, as well as not even being particularly regular for Bournemouth in the championship either!
bobd_uk

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:01 am

I see Oxford has been cut from England U19s,Trott still in squad.So in the 4 big youth tournaments this summer we did not have a single outfield player involved.
bubbles500

Postby fmgod on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:15 pm

And this is why English players struggle, home grown players percentage and a lot of the Prem players that count as home grown probably aren't even English like Clicy, Fabregas etc count as English in the UEFA ruling

England Premier League 69.2%
Germany Bundesliga 49.2%
Spain must be lower than that as they don't even appear on the list

Players have to play to improve, it's simple and the fact not much English players go abroad to play either.
fmgod

Postby hammer1975 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Kialos wrote:Having seen the shitstorm he created on twitter a few weeks ago he's now decided to say the same thing in the national press. Silly old man.

Indeed. No emotional intelligence. Sullivan seems to have been quiet of late.

Getting our academy working should be a massive priority imo.
hammer1975

Postby bubbles500 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Anyone watched Quina in U19s only just realise was on .Think he might have been subbed.
bubbles500

Postby Jumby on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:42 am

As bad as we may seem for developing kids of late we're probably still in the top 10 in the league, there's clubs in there that literally don't bring any players through
Jumby

Postby bobd_uk on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:14 am

Jumby wrote:As bad as we may seem for developing kids of late we're probably still in the top 10 in the league, there's clubs in there that literally don't bring any players through

I doubt it for first team players. Last ones we had were Noble (debut 2005) , Tomkins (debut 2008), Anton (debut 2003) and, arguably, Stanislas (debut 2006). So we haven't produced ourselves a first team player from the youth team in the best part of a decade.

If you take the production of professional footballers in general we'd be quite high as many of our released youth players seem to get pro deals in the lower leagues.
bobd_uk

Postby bubbles500 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:49 pm

England U19s KO at 2.30pm .very talented team with likes of sessegnon Edwards mount .Great chance to go all the way and win it.
bubbles500

Postby bubbles500 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:38 pm

1-0 up in 2 mins mason mount
bubbles500

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion