Youth development

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Youth development

Postby Jumby on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:40 pm

We're above the likes of Newcastle, Huddersfield, West Brom, Burnley, Watford, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Stoke, Brighton, Leicester, Swansea and Man City for bringing our own kids through into our first team picture, in my opinion. I'm not saying we're doing a good job of it but there are more kids making our bench for Premier League games than any of those sides and hopefully within the next year the likes of Burke, Oxford, Cullen and Rice can really push on. Chelsea, for all their stockpiling of promising young talent, don't use any of them, they get to 21, 22 and move on.
Jumby

Postby bubbles500 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:55 pm

2-0 sessegnon
bubbles500

Postby bubbles500 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Jumby wrote:We're above the likes of Newcastle, Huddersfield, West Brom, Burnley, Watford, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Stoke, Brighton, Leicester, Swansea and Man City for bringing our own kids through into our first team picture, in my opinion. I'm not saying we're doing a good job of it but there are more kids making our bench for Premier League games than any of those sides and hopefully within the next year the likes of Burke, Oxford, Cullen and Rice can really push on. Chelsea, for all their stockpiling of promising young talent, don't use any of them, they get to 21, 22 and move on.

How can you say we are ahead of Liverpool ? They have numerous talented kids with prem minutes.And the only reason our bench was full of kids at points last season was because we had no senior bodies because of injury.
bubbles500

Postby Jumby on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Who has come through the Liverpool youth system and stayed in the first team picture there, this century?
Jumby

Postby bubbles500 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:04 pm

I wasn't talking about this century,but if you must probably the best midfielder of his time.Anyways I was talkin about right now .The likes of gomez Alexander-Arnold ojo woodburn .All of who I'd say have a very good shout at becoming regulars and have played decent amount of mins in last 2 seasons.Swansea and Leicester are probably ahead of us as well with the likes of Mawson and chillwell .And it's silly to even mention city and Chelsea they have superbly talented kids .
bubbles500

Postby Jumby on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:16 pm

bubbles500 wrote:I wasn't talking about this century,but if you must probably the best midfielder of his time.Anyways I was talkin about right now .The likes of gomez Alexander-Arnold ojo woodburn .All of who I'd say have a very good shout at becoming regulars and have played decent amount of mins in last 2 seasons.Swansea and Leicester are probably ahead of us as well with the likes of Mawson and chillwell .And it's silly to even mention city and Chelsea they have superbly talented kids .

Gerrard came through in the 90's.

Hold up a second, if you're crediting Swansea with the development of 23 year old Alfie Mawson, who they signed from Barnsley a year ago, we can claim the credit for Lanzini. I'm talking about players that come through the youth ranks. It's not silly to mention Chelsea or Man City at all, they are brilliant examples of what I was saying, name a player from either side that came through their ranks and is a regular in their first team? You can't because there isn't one. They might have loads of kids, but they never ever break into their first team sides. Since the money came into Man City not one youth player has come into the first team picture and stayed there, whilst the ones that were there before the money, Johnson, Richards and Onuhoa, were pushed out. Liverpool are no further ahead of us at this point in time, they have as many promising youngsters as us, the future will tell us whether they're good enough or not.
Jumby

Postby steveyrockstar on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Chelsea's academy does seem to be producing some very exciting kids, even if they don't necessarily go on to become regulars in their own first team. Ryan Betrand has gone on to have a very good career, and they've got the likes of Solanke (now at L'pool), Loftus-Cheek, Abrahams etc coming through
steveyrockstar

Postby bubbles500 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 pm

I think the next generation of Chelsea kids could be the ones to break through ,their youth cup winning team was exceptional and the have 6 in England U19s .Same with city but not quite as good as Chelsea.
bubbles500

Postby thejackhammer on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:10 pm

bubbles500 wrote:I think the next generation of Chelsea kids could be the ones to break through ,their youth cup winning team was exceptional and the have 6 in England U19s .Same with city but not quite as good as Chelsea.

They'll all be sold with buy-back clauses.
thejackhammer

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:37 am

Quina should be in action today for Portugal U19 on Eurosport 5 pm ko.
bubbles500

Postby bubbles500 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:49 pm

England U19s on Eurosport now.Looking very good,we have some exceptional talent.
bubbles500

Postby bubbles500 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Great display by England into the semis .some real players to look out for dasilva sterling and chabola from Chelsea at the back were superb .And Marcus Edwards from spurs . came on for 20 mins totally changed the game
bubbles500

Postby continental skills on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 am

Very strong performance by England u-19s against Germany last night.
Mount looks a real talent.
continental skills

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:13 pm

England U19s into final .Marcus Edwards winning the game for England again.Real shame Oxford isn't there.
bubbles500

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 pm

England U19s into final .Marcus Edwards winning the game for England again.Real shame Oxford isn't there.
bubbles500

Postby continental skills on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:59 pm

bubbles500 wrote:England U19s into final .Marcus Edwards winning the game for England again.Real shame Oxford isn't there.

You do keep beating on the same drum, don't you?

Oxford isn't there because he - or the club, or his advisors - wisely made the choice that it would make far more sense for him to settle at his new club, in a new environment, with different training demands, if he wishes to be in contention for a first team place there next season.
The alternative would have been him joining his new club (where he is, after all, only on loan) after the u-19 tournament is over, which would put him well behind most of the others in pre-season at Gladbach. Makes little sense to me in terms of his overall development.
For sure, it would be nice to see him pick up a trophy if England win the final, but he has taken the longer perspective, which I'm sure will benefit him and West Ham more in the long run.
After all, I don't think you'll see many of those u-19 finalist playing for their first teams in the premier league next season.
continental skills

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Totally disagree with you.He's missed out on the experience of a life time.Possibly lifting a trophy with England.For the sake of 2 weeks pre season at a loan club that he's pretty unlikely to much game time with.Ask anyone of the boys with a U20 world cUp winners medal if they'd swap it for 2 weeks pre season with a loan club.
bubbles500

Postby bobd_uk on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:36 am

bubbles500 wrote:Totally disagree with you.He's missed out on the experience of a life time.Possibly lifting a trophy with England.For the sake of 2 weeks pre season at a loan club that he's pretty unlikely to much game time with.Ask anyone of the boys with a U20 world cUp winners medal if they'd swap it for 2 weeks pre season with a loan club.

But, if that 2 weeks pre season leads to regular match time in the Bundesliga, then it will be worth far more to his development than an U20 tournament. If he doesn't play much for them this season then I'll agree with you.
bobd_uk

Postby bubbles500 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:13 am

But, if that 2 weeks pre season leads to regular match time in the Bundesliga, then it will be worth far more to his development than an U20 tournament. If he doesn't play much for them this season then I'll agree with you.[/quote]

Still have to disagree.He barely played last season so was not in need of a rest.The U19 could have formed part of his pre season and then had it tailored next week when he went back.With still a month to go till season starts.I really hope he gets game time but it's hard to see how.They have an established CB pairing and he will be competing with 3 other CB to be 1st reserve.I still think the general life experience will be good for him and s tougher training program.But I honestly believe he could have done both.
bubbles500

Postby bobd_uk on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:51 am

bubbles500 wrote:But I honestly believe he could have done both.

Was he actually even asked though? We're speaking as though he had the choice when it could, in fact, just be that he wasn't selected?
bobd_uk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion