1967 European Cup Winners , Celtic .

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

1967 European Cup Winners , Celtic .

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed May 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Just a heads-up for all you BBC One England chappies - BBC One Scotland are showing ' Glasgow 1967 - The Lisbon Lions ' next Wednesday at 9pm - first British team [ all born within 30 miles of Glasgow ] to ever win the European Cup - I was 11 years old and I remember walking to Primary School when I heard that Celtic had won the European Cup beating Inter Milan 2-1 . Should be good .
The Old Man of Storr

Re: 1967 European Cup Winners , Celtic .

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 pm

I'll definitely being giving this a view. The achievement of winning the European Cup massively underrated regardless of what you think of Celtic as a football club.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Wed May 17, 2017 6:12 pm

I suspect I'm not the only one here who watched it live on the tellybox.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Iron George on Wed May 17, 2017 6:13 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I'll definitely being giving this a view. The achievement of winning the European Cup massively underrated regardless of what you think of Celtic as a football club.

Specially with a side that were all relative locals.
Iron George

Postby bubbles500 on Wed May 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Baffling Scotland can't produce top class players anymore .cant remember last top class player to come out of Scotland
bubbles500

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed May 17, 2017 6:25 pm

bubbles500 wrote:Baffling Scotland can't produce top class players anymore .cant remember last top class player to come out of Scotland

Must be , urrmmmmm, urrrmmmmmm , .....Robert Snodgrass . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Bubbles - it's something I recently discussed with my Celtic loving neighbour , Billy only recently - Scotland used to be raided by the top English clubs in the past and were capable of giving England a game , nowadays even lowly Wales are faring better .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby mushy on Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 pm

I only managed to catch the second half as I was performing with the rest of my primary school class for the one and only time at the Hawkey Hall in Woodford.
I am glad to say the standard of football was much better then our singing.
A truly fantastic achievement by the Lions of Lisbon.
mushy

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Wed May 17, 2017 7:39 pm

bubbles500 wrote:Baffling Scotland can't produce top class players anymore .cant remember last top class player to come out of Scotland

That's not including Christian Dailly, right? Anyway,can't say I'll be travelling to Scotland to catch the programme. Family moved to Scotland shortly after this win & being an English schoolboy in Scotland at this time was not much fun! Learnt how to head-butt though.
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby Doc H Ball on Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Bubbles - it's something I recently discussed with my Celtic loving neighbour , Billy only recently - Scotland used to be raided by the top English clubs in the past and were capable of giving England a game , nowadays even lowly Wales are faring better .

Funny aint it? Nearly every great squad was packed full of sweaties.

Hansen, Dalglish, Robertson, Strachan, Macari, Gemmil, Jordan - an endless list.

We wouldn't buy someone like Tonka or Macca anymore.

I guess it's mainly the same problem affecting the emergence of young English players - cheaper (on the face of it) foreign ready made players seeming a safer bet.
Doc H Ball

Postby ooh look who it is on Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Just a heads-up for all you BBC One England chappies - BBC One Scotland are showing ' Glasgow 1967 - The Lisbon Lions ' next Wednesday at 9pm - first British team [ all born within 30 miles of Glasgow ] to ever win the European Cup - I was 11 years old and I remember walking to Primary School when I heard that Celtic had won the European Cup beating Inter Milan 2-1 . Should be good .

Cheers TOMOS

I will set the video for this :thup:
ooh look who it is

Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Postby Wembley1966 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 pm

If you're elsewhere in the UK you can watch BBC One Scotland on iPlayer - go to BBC One channel and change location to Scotland and watch live programs. Alternatively - Sky channel 951; Freesat 960 or Virgin 862.
Wembley1966

Postby bubbles500 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 pm

You could say it's cyclic but it really has been years .last player to come close is prob Fletcher and that's clutching st straws .i think the kid that went to Germany will be a player name escapes me at moment
bubbles500

Postby Rocketron on Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Heroin,basically.
When Thatcher destroyed Scottish Industry, drugs took a big hold on Scottish Youth.
Rocketron

Postby vietnammer on Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Steven Hendrie?
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Green Hornet on Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 pm

I would've been 6 and bit but remember it quite well.
My Dad told us they were only showing the second half..?

Celtic battered Inter in the second half and thoroughly deserved to win. They got in the final again a couple of years later knocking out Leeds on the way, but eventually lost in extra time against Feyernoord. It's worth checking out the position of the Referee as Tommy Gemmill fired Celtic in front.

I doubt any team will ever match Celtic's achievement in fielding a an entire team of local players. Maybe Athletico Bilbao...
Green Hornet

Postby Adam 'The Smudge' on Wed May 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Stephen Hendry, Alan McManus and John Higgins.
Ah, you meant football?
Robert Snodgrass? :lol:
Adam 'The Smudge'

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu May 18, 2017 7:57 am

Wembley1966 wrote:If you're elsewhere in the UK you can watch BBC One Scotland on iPlayer - go to BBC One channel and change location to Scotland and watch live programs. Alternatively - Sky channel 951; Freesat 960 or Virgin 862.

Thanks for that , Wembley , I didn't know that - another thing about BBCiPlayer is they're bringing in a password system or a signing in system to prevent non-licence payers from watching - even living in the back of beyond for the last 28 years my Mrs has always insisted on paying our BBC fee . I suppose I would have too really . Someone will probably figure a way round it though ! :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Mad Professor on Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 am

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I suspect I'm not the only one here who watched it live on the tellybox.

I certainly did! It was a marvellous performance by Celtic who in the second half totally dominated Inter and completely out passed them. People sometimes forget that it was the Scots who invented the passing game and this was a wonderful display of that art against one of the best teams in Europe. It was not just that the players all came from within 30 miles of Parkhead but virtually all had played elsewhere -invariably in England - and had been at best journeymen. The great Jock Stein welded them into a TEAM that was very good. Ron Greenwood once said 'all i ask of my players is that they pass the ball to another player wearing the same colour shirt'. Well that night in Lisbon, Celtic produced a wonderful example of what that philosophy can lead too. Ron and John Lyall would have watched that game closely.
Mad Professor

Postby Happyhammer52 on Thu May 18, 2017 9:41 am

bubbles500 wrote:You could say it's cyclic but it really has been years .last player to come close is prob Fletcher and that's clutching st straws .i think the kid that went to Germany will be a player name escapes me at moment

You are thinking of Oliver Burke, plays for Leipzig. Done fairly well over there so far. Certainly seems to have made more of impression than Ryan Gould who left Dundee United for Sporting Lisbon.

It is the step from U21 to first team that seems to catch so many Scots out, it really is staggering.

In 2006 the U19 team narrowly missed out on the European Championships, losing 2-1 to Spain. The team from that day was,

McNeil, Cave-Brown, Wallace, Grant, Cuthbert, Ferry, Elliot, McGlinchey, Conroy, Cameron, Adams Subs: Kenneth, Fox, Dorrans, Gilmour, Reynolds

Now how many of them do you know?
Happyhammer52

Next

Return to General Discussion