1967 European Cup Winners , Celtic .

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: 1967 European Cup Winners , Celtic .

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 am

All but one of the squad born within ten miles of Parkhead.

That's just astonishing and makes the '67 win imho the greatest achievement ever of any British club. Provincial, who'd-ever-paid-any-attention-to-them Forest winning it twice in a row with lots of journeymen as has just been mentioned regarding Celtic would be second in that list imho. Mind you, they were led by the greatest genius English football has ever known.

Celtic's is a feat that will sadly never be equalled although I'd like to think that our 32 out of 33 FA cup winning starters being English would be somewhere on that list too. Although of course we, and I mean the English game in general and not just West Ham, brought players through in those days.
DaveWHU1964

Postby JLCABA on Thu May 18, 2017 10:31 am

First game I ever watched land was really interested in

It was a Thursday night too ?

5 days earlier my Dad had sat me down to interest me in the FA Cup Final contested by Tottenham and Chelsea ... I bailed out after about 3 minutes

10 Months earlier he had sat me in front of the World Cup Final with prophesy that " one day you will Thank me for making you watch this "

God bless you Dad
JLCABA

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri May 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Going to be shown on the rest of BBC One outside of Scotland at 23:15 next Wednesday.

Celtic hero Stevie Chalmers was given three weeks to live years before scoring the winning goal in the European Cup final, a BBC documentary has revealed.

Chalmers was 20 when he contracted tuberculosis meningitis and was given no chance of survival.

But 12 years later the forward, who is now aged 81, scored Celtic's second goal in their 2-1 win over Inter Milan in Lisbon as Jock Stein's team became the first British side to win Europe's elite trophy.

Chalmers' story is told alongside those of his team-mates in 'Glasgow 1967: The Lisbon Lions', which will be screened to mark the 50th anniversary of Celtic's greatest triumph next week.

JOCK STEIN’s managerial ambitions were initially dashed at Celtic because he was a Protestant.
In archive footage to be shown in BBC Scotland documentary Glasgow 1967: The Lisbon Lions, the Parkhead legend opens up on how his first spell at the club ended.

Jock Stein was initially sacked at Celtic because he was a protestant. Stein, who passed away in 1985, was appointed as Celtic reserves manager in 1957. But his ambitions to eventually become manager were brought to a crushing halt after a discussion with then chairman Robert Kelly. In the programme that airs next week, Stein says: “I was a non-Catholic. So Robert Kelly thought I had gone as far as I would expect to go at a club like Celtic.”
Wembley1966

Postby Estuary on Fri May 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Watched this on TV live, very grainy picture from Lisbon as I recall.

As to where the **** has all the Jock talent gone? Was a time when English teams would walk into a Scottish park, shake a tree and world class footballer would drop out. God knows why they cant transition from youth to senior these days, maybe its lack of hunger, maybe its poor coaching, but the days when John Lyall asked his scout "who is the best young prospect in Scotland?" and came back with McAvennie or Stewart are long gone.
Estuary

Postby hammerleroy on Fri May 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Bloody hell Rocketron, Maggie destroys the coal industry and Scottish football as well! Hilarious but if it is true then good for her. Served with dozens of 'em in the Army and 1966 destroyed 'em big time. Still whinging today, all your games at Wembley blah blah blah. Never forget listening to England 2 Scotland 3 at Wembley in 1967 in the Persian Gulf with a load of sweaties. Awful experience I can tell you and it was MY radio we were clustered around! Never mind we only had 9 fit players on the pitch this was their cup final and made them, in their eyes, World Champions! You had to be there. And I still keep hearing that in 1967 Celtic won the European Cup and were British and that the following year Man Utd won it and were English!!! And don't get me started on that hobgoblin Sturgeon! :twisted: Rant over, coat collected!
hammerleroy

Postby Andy Carroll on Tue May 23, 2017 8:47 am

Phenomenal achievement really. A product of a completely different era of the game but one that will not be forgotten anytime soon.
Andy Carroll

Postby Valley Hammer on Sun May 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Watched this on i player last night. Excellent documentary, with not only football interest but social commentary of Glasgow as well.
Valley Hammer

Postby steveyrockstar on Sun May 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Does the current Celtic team not contain any genuine Scottish talent?

Given how many records they broke this year - and the unprecedented manner in which they annihilated everyone else - you'd have thought there must be some talent in their ranks. Mind you, Scott Sinclair was player of the year, so it's probably more just a reflection on the standard of everyone else
steveyrockstar

Postby Big George on Sun May 28, 2017 4:35 pm

Valley Hammer wrote:Watched this on i player last night. Excellent documentary, with not only football interest but social commentary of Glasgow as well.

+1...

really well done piece of TV
Big George

Postby Westcliffspur on Sun May 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Glasgow 1967 is a wonderful documentary. Very moving to hear the remaining Lisbon Lions and the widows of those guys no longer with us. To think a virtual Glasgow District team conquered all before them including all Europe. Celtic won all five competitions they entered that season. They even beat Man Utd 4-1 in a prestigious friendly and won by a single goal to nil at Real Madrid in Alfredo di Stefano's testimonial. This was a big deal at the time as Real wanted to beat the current European champions.

It was a remarkable season for Glasgow as Rangers reached the European Cup Winners Cup final too. They faced Bayern Munich, including Sepp Mayer, Franz Beckabuer and Gerd Muller in Germany and lost by a goal in extra time in the final in Germany.

Kilmarnock reached the semi finals of the Fairs Cup in 1967 too losing to Don Revie's Leeds.
Westcliffspur

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Sun May 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Great programme, really enjoyed it.

One thing though does nobody in Scotland have their own upper teeth?
SammyLeeWasOffside

Previous

Return to General Discussion