Retrospective diving bans from next season?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Retrospective diving bans from next season?

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu May 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Football Association expected to approve retrospective action

Players who dive could face retrospective bans from next season.

The Football Association will vote on the issue at its annual general meeting at Wembley on Thursday and is expected to approve the proposal.

English football's governing body would need the backing of the Professional Footballers' Association and the Premier League to introduce the rule change.

But it is understood they are broadly supportive and already in agreement.

Under the proposed new rules, a panel would review footage from the weekend each Monday looking for cases of simulation. Any player unanimously found guilty of diving would be given a suspension.

Speaking in December, Burnley manager Sean Dyche said he thought diving would be eradicated from football "in six months" if retrospective bans were introduced.

more...

about time too
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Re: Retrospective diving bans from next season?

Postby Up the Junction on Thu May 18, 2017 12:53 pm

I suspect it'll be the same old story. West Ham in front of the beak every week, Chelsea etc getting away with murder...

They FA/PL were supposed to stop players haranguing referees this season. That lasted what, a month?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Ladzini on Thu May 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Can only be a good thing - but knowing the incompetent FA they will introduce this before VAR - so we will end up with penalties being given - dives spotted after the event which ban the player but then the result remains affected by the penalty wrongfully given.

IMO this has to be introduced alongside VAR.
Ladzini

Postby Mega Ron on Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm

The big teams will get away with it every week.

Expect regular bans for Antonio and Lanzini. If we sign any forwards expect them to get hit with bans also.
Mega Ron

Postby Yea Why Not on Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Good idea in theory but I'd be interested to hear details. For example, what if a player dives over near the corner flag? Does that count? Or are we talking just in the box when trying to win a penalty?! If it is just in the box then what if a player dives just outside the box with the ref thinking he was inside and a penalty is wrongfully given? :D

Massive can of worms is about to be opened I reckon
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby sendô on Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm

About time, but it as mentioned above too late after the event.
sendô

Postby warp on Thu May 18, 2017 1:13 pm

i think it's great, this will definitely show that the big team bias is not a referee's subconscious psychological effect, but it's a well schemed plan.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby ashbanki on Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 pm

The diving is bad enough, but the rolling around "in agony" with the express purpose of getting an opponent sent off or getting a 50/50 challenge in their favour is worse,imo - Maybe a compulsory 5 min medical examination before being passed fit to come back on? Trouble with that is a Mourinho team would never manage eleven players on the pitch at the same time.
ashbanki

Postby fjthegrey on Thu May 18, 2017 1:18 pm

I think it's excellent. It'll work really well. Imagine the scenario.

Hazard dives vs West Ham, pen given, Chelsea beat us. Video's show he dived and his retrospectively punished with a game ban. That game ban comes vs Stoke, with whom we are directly competing for a place in the table. Chelsea are significantly weaker for their game vs Stoke.

Awesome. West Ham really win in that scenario. Flawless.
fjthegrey

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu May 18, 2017 1:35 pm

It is not about whether it works for West Ham but whether it works for the game as a whole. it is clearly a step in the right direction.
If hazard dives against us and gets a penalty, but is then banned, it may make him think twice about doing it again.
The problem is, of course, the interpretation and application of the review process. Will it just be people who go down under no contact at all? Or will someone have to make a judgment if there was insufficient contact? Or what about those who move the body to encourage contact? etc etc. Like everything that is not a definite yes, or no, it will be difficulty to apply consistently as will probably come down to opinion
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Thu May 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:about time too

Amen.
DaveWHU1964

Postby sanchoz on Thu May 18, 2017 1:52 pm

I'd suspect I answer my own question by saying an incident like Phil Jones flopping around like a fish out of water against us earlier this season which lead to a wrongfully awarded red card (later rescinded) would not be covered by this?

Cheating is cheating and dives as well as play acting should be covered.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby Up the Junction on Thu May 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Two-match retrospective ban to be introduced next season. Confirmed by FA.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu May 18, 2017 2:47 pm

from the BBC website

Players who dive in English football will face bans from next season under new Football Association regulations.

Under the new rules, passed by the governing body at its annual general meeting on Thursday, a panel will review footage from the weekend each Monday looking for cases of simulation.

Any player unanimously found guilty of diving would be given a suspension.

The panel will consist of one ex-match official, one ex-manager and one ex-player.

More to follow.

my emphasis
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Upton Carp on Thu May 18, 2017 2:53 pm

BFS not in favour apparently.
Upton Carp

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu May 18, 2017 3:02 pm

More details

How will the new bans work?

The FA defines the new offence for which players will be punished as "successful deception of a match official".

The panel will consist of one former match official, one ex-manager and one ex-player.

Only incidents that result in a penalty, a red card, or a yellow card that leads to a dismissal - either the first or second of two yellow cards - will be punished.

The FA says it will act "where there is clear and overwhelming evidence to suggest a match official has been deceived by an act of simulation, and as a direct result, the offending player's team has been awarded a penalty and/or an opposing player has been dismissed".
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby MD_HM on Thu May 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Upton Carp wrote:BFS not in favour apparently.

Not suprised with Townsend and Zaha in his side... they will be missing for most of the season now
MD_HM

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu May 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
my emphasis

Not really any other way they can do it IMHO. If it is a split 2:1 decision then probably not clear cut enough to warrant a ban.

Will be interesting to see who joins the panel. In an ideal world the ex-referee would stay consistent, but the ex manager and ex player would change monthly, or rotate
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Spammy The Vee on Thu May 18, 2017 4:05 pm

I feel it's a step in the right direction, but who will decide which footage will be reviewed ?
Spammy The Vee

Postby Phil S on Thu May 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Pogba got booked against us earlier in the season

Man U then came up with the explanation that he was avoiding the tackle

love to see what the appeal process throws up in that scenario.

as UTJ says, the surrounding of the ref and dissent was being dealt with really well for a month, then stopped.

I hate cheating and diving with a passion so hope this and later the video ref can cut it out...I have my doubts though.
Phil S

Next

Return to General Discussion