Perspective

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Perspective

Postby bab_whu on Fri May 19, 2017 12:39 am

Blackpool will play in the League 2 play off final next weekend. I have been a huge critic of the Board and Slav this season but sometimes a bit of perspective is useful.
Whilst we shouldn't gauge our progress against a side like Blackpool it is a stark reminder of what could have happened (they were the better team that day!)

We absolutely should have ambition but some of the abuse levelled at G&S is IMO unjustified. We are trying to go to a place West Ham has never gone before. Likelihood is G&S don't have the funds to take us there (such is football these days) but I do not necessarily see this as their 'fault'.

They have made errors, of course, but we owe a lot to them. Let's hope they can deliver this transfer window.
bab_whu

Re: Perspective

Postby Colours never run on Fri May 19, 2017 12:46 am

Kaz, is that you.. 8-)

I'm one of their fairest supporter/critics on here but I and everyone else deck itrlt doesn't 'owe' them a thing. I do however respect a lot of good work that they have done as custodians but I also acknowledge some monumental **** ups most notably The Stadium move and appointing such a hopeless div in Grant.

They ain't all bad though and I continue to see them in an open mind and try to be as fair and objective as possible.

I do agree with you that it's always good to have a bit of perspective though and not one fuelled by an agenda against them whatever they do because that wouldn't be the absolute truth.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby bab_whu on Fri May 19, 2017 1:00 am

I wish!

And you are right - owe is the wrong word.

I think that is what has annoyed me, the agenda. G&S should be blamed for many things e.g. stadium migration, but to think that they are the sole reason we have not cracked on this reason IMO is misguided.

I respect what they have done for WHU but we have reached a T junction. Pay up or sell up.
bab_whu

Postby Colours never run on Fri May 19, 2017 1:23 am

bab_whu wrote:
I think that is what has annoyed me, the agenda. G&S should be blamed for many things e.g. stadium migration, but to think that they are the sole reason we have not cracked on this reason IMO is misguided.

I respect what they have done for WHU but we have reached a T junction. Pay up or sell up.

For the most part agree with that. I think they've been well intentioned but misguided themselves with the move. Poor judgements railroading the move without giving us a 'proper' say in the first place and then burking up the migration/deal itself, although mainly blame the Baroness for that.

It's basically a mixed bag but I do feel their hearts have been in the right place even if their heads haven't always.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby The Old Mile End on Fri May 19, 2017 6:05 am

My journey started in 1963.

I owe them nothing.

They owe me the Boleyn Ground.

It's all about perspective isn't it.
The Old Mile End

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 am

Sometimes, I ask myself if we need saving from ourselves. I think that puts things into a bit of perspective
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri May 19, 2017 6:42 am

Leeds, Forest, Blackburn and Blackpool have had worse owners than us in recent years and for that we should be grateful. The appointment of a certain Big Sam has probably been their "shrewdist" move to date, when you consider what he has done with Sunderland and Palace in recent seasons and the fact he dropped a division to manage us.

But our board continue to treat us like idiots (I'm sure other clubs' fans would say the same) with the whole stadium move being an absolute shambles that has little or no improvement in 9 months.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby taffhammer on Fri May 19, 2017 7:59 am

bab_whu wrote:We absolutely should have ambition but some of the abuse levelled at G&S is IMO unjustified. We are trying to go to a place West Ham has never gone before. Likelihood is G&S don't have the funds to take us there (such is football these days) but I do not necessarily see this as their 'fault'.

They have made errors, of course, but we owe a lot to them. Let's hope they can deliver this transfer window.

They told us we needed to move to a massive stadium to compete with the top four and get into europe. Until they offer players proper wages and contracts they are not respecting their part of the deal and so deserve all blame thrown at them till then. Because they lied all the way there and still are.

Yes they have run us better than Blackpool but when you think about the losing the place that was the heart of this club it makes you wonder.
taffhammer

Postby WHU_Del on Fri May 19, 2017 8:21 am

taffhammer wrote:They told us we needed to move to a massive stadium to compete with the top four and get into europe.

But that was never going to happen in the first season was it? They need the income from the bigger stadium to fund the better contracts and to be able to afford the better players.
I'm no fan of the Three Stooges, but it's a bit rich to expect them to deliver that after one season in the OS.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby Mega Ron on Fri May 19, 2017 8:27 am

Puff Daddy wrote:Sometimes, I ask myself if we need saving from ourselves. I think that puts things into a bit of perspective

For you I guess it does.

We need saving from them.
Mega Ron

Postby wildkard on Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 am

This is very close to Arsenal moaning about their "plight" and people saying to them "Yeah, but look at Orient!". When it comes to football I think it's basically irrelevant what other teams are going through. The only frame of reference that is of any value is comparing your team against, weirdly, your team. If you get me.
wildkard

Postby fjthegrey on Fri May 19, 2017 8:34 am

Colours never run wrote:I'm one of their fairest supporter/critics on here...

If you do say so yourself.
fjthegrey

Postby Billydinho on Fri May 19, 2017 8:41 am

No other football team have sold their soul and their home to move to a rented athletics track not fit for football.

All for Zaza, Calleri, Nordtveit, Feghouli and soon to be Defoe and Ruddy.

These owners should burn for what they've done, quite frankly. Money grabbing *****.
Billydinho

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 am

I think Billy has the right perspective.
DaveWHU1964

Postby taffhammer on Fri May 19, 2017 9:06 am

WHU_Del wrote:But that was never going to happen in the first season was it? They need the income from the bigger stadium to fund the better contracts and to be able to afford the better players.
I'm no fan of the Three Stooges, but it's a bit rich to expect them to deliver that after one season in the OS.

I didn't say it would be promised and delivered after one season, something that can't be denied is the intent so far in the transfer windows. If you think they are going to spend the right way in this window then your in for a shock. They just want us to stay up and then sell with a big iconic stadium as the selling point. Thing is the longer we are there the more potential buyers are realising its not quite a football stadium. So GSB didn't even get that right, thats how two bob they are.
As for bigger income, well in their own words its an extra 12 mill a year. Not much really.
taffhammer

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri May 19, 2017 9:07 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:I think Billy has the right perspective.

Agreed.

No time for the three of them, and hope they sod off sharpish.
Happyhammer52

Postby Mayday on Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 am

When they took over they had a five year plan to reach Champions league.

A couple of years ago they repeated that statement.

What's the point?
Mayday

Postby LOS on Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 am

WHU_Del wrote:
They need the income from the bigger stadium to fund the better contracts and to be able to afford the better players.

The stadium hardly give us an income boost. Its a farce. We're financially hardly any better off there than we were at Upton Park. I still fail to see what the stadium gives us, and what the true benefit to the club is post move. (I understand the boards motivation, but not how the club is better off as a result) .
LOS

Postby mushy on Fri May 19, 2017 9:22 am

WHU_Del wrote: They need the income from the bigger stadium to fund the better contracts and to be able to afford the better players.

This above gets repeated over and over again.
The income from the bigger stadium is about £11 million according to Sullivan. Thats about the fee for Snodgrass (excluding wages).
This will deflate over time when the corporates realise they are being ripped off (its already happening).

Seriously,what better contracts and players are you expecting?
Reality check for some of you, we sold our soul for a crock of sh*t, not a crock of gold.
mushy

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Fri May 19, 2017 9:23 am

only people to benefit form the move - is them
psychoscoredthelot

Next

Return to General Discussion