Wembley anyone (non WHUFC obviously)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Wembley anyone (non WHUFC obviously)

Postby North Devon Hammer on Fri May 19, 2017 1:46 pm

I know that there are a lot of Hammers fans and Kumbers exiled in the West Country who take an interest in Exeter City. They made it through to the play off final last night and will be playing Blackpool on 28th May.
I'll be there to cheer them on and relive some good play off memories involving Blackpool.

Anyone else going? I'll be the the idiot in the West Ham 1960's number 6 home shirt
North Devon Hammer

Location: Surf country where the waves are big but the girls are bigger.

Re: Wembley anyone (non WHUFC obviously)

Postby James P on Fri May 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Went uni in Exeter and glad to see them doing well been a rollercoaster or two for that club. Won't be going as I'm doing the London 10k on Bank Holiday Monday but will be watching.

Out of interest, why are you going in a West Ham shirt. Seems a bit disrespectful. "I'm here but let me make it clear I support someone else." Not sure it's the right thing imo.
James P

Postby hadleighhammer on Fri May 19, 2017 3:44 pm

North Devon Hammer wrote: I'll be the the idiot in the West Ham 1960's number 6 home shirt

You're going to an Exeter game and wearing a West Ham top? Quite disrespectful IMO.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri May 19, 2017 3:51 pm

Yeah personally wouldn't wear a West Ham shirt bit strange imo.

Love the play offs though, hope Exeter do the business to upset Mr Oyston.
Happyhammer52

Postby sendô on Fri May 19, 2017 4:05 pm

It was only a few years ago we played Blackpool ourselves in a playoff final. We've been PL ever since and nearly made the CL last season, they've dropped right down to league 2. Fine margins and all that.
sendô

Postby Sweeney Bod on Fri May 19, 2017 4:07 pm

I went to the Dagenham v Rotherham playoffs a few years ago. There were several West Ham shirts in the Daggers end. As others have said, wearing another team's shirt is a bit disrespectful. We moan enough about tourists wearing other club's shirt at the Olympic Stadium.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Postby Sweeney Bod on Fri May 19, 2017 4:09 pm

sendô wrote:It was only a few years ago we played Blackpool ourselves in a playoff final. We've been PL ever since and nearly made the CL last season, they've dropped right down to league 2. Fine margins and all that.

It only seems like yesterday, but it will be 5 years in a few days time. It makes me feelold, as those 5 years have flown past.
Last edited by Sweeney Bod on Fri May 19, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Postby Ridler on Fri May 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Attended the 1999 (div 1? Can't remember) playoff final, Orient v Scunthorpe at the old Wembley. My daughter was 11. Thought I'd buy her an Orient flag, she demanded a Scunthorpe flag, why I asked 'because it's Claret and Blue' she replied. I persuaded her, as we were sitting with Orient supporters she should have an Orient flag. The seller was selling Scunthorpe flags for £3 and the Orient ones for a fiver. I used my relentless bartering skills to get the Orient flag for £3.50.
Ridler

Postby Ridler on Fri May 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Ridler wrote:Attended the 1999 (div 1? Can't remember) playoff final, Orient v Scunthorpe at the old Wembley. My daughter was 11. Thought I'd buy her an Orient flag, she demanded a Scunthorpe flag, why I asked 'because it's Claret and Blue' she replied. I persuaded her, as we were sitting with Orient supporters she should have an Orient flag. The seller was selling Scunthorpe flags for £3 and the Orient ones for a fiver. I used my relentless bartering skills to get the Orient flag for £3.50.

Div 2 playoff. Man City won the Div 1 playoff, unbelievable.
Ridler

Postby Exiledin cardiff on Fri May 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Anyone says anything about the shirt tell them you're a scout; and you're looking at the number 9's from both teams, as a replacement for Carroll as long as they can stay fit for a week they've got a chance. :P
Exiledin cardiff

Postby North Devon Hammer on Fri May 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Social media suggesting that the majority of Blackpool fans will stay away from the game in protest against the idiots running the club (Oystons,I believe). What a shame for the genuine fans.

Exeter will take 20,000 plus and Blackpool probably less than 8,000.
North Devon Hammer

Location: Surf country where the waves are big but the girls are bigger.

Postby Iron George on Fri May 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Sweeney Bod wrote:It only seems like yesterday, but it will be 5 years in a few days time. It makes me fill old, as those 5 years have flown past.

Five years today in fact !!
Iron George

Postby pharaoh on Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

North Devon Hammer wrote:Social media suggesting that the majority of Blackpool fans will stay away from the game in protest against the idiots running the club (Oystons,I believe). What a shame for the genuine fans.

Exeter will take 20,000 plus and Blackpool probably less than 8,000.

I remember they didn't have many for our game either. Loads of empty seats in Blackpool end
pharaoh

Postby cockney farmer on Sat May 20, 2017 6:46 am

Sorry to put a dampener on this but even though it's my home town the answer is no. I support West Ham and West Ham only , whilst many of my work mates and even family will be making the trip and I wish them well , I couldnt even br motivated to watch Liverpool there when they were down last season in the cup.

I am proud of my city and the fact that through Exeter Chiefs and now City its prominence is raised though sport but when it comes to football loyalty it's one love for me , not digging you out , I hope you enjoy your trip to Wembley but as I mentioned to a few mates Friday , did you make the trip down the North Devon link road when they had Accrington on a Wednesday night ?

And why wear a West Ham shirt for a game involving Exeter and Blackpool.
cockney farmer

Postby marcus6 on Sat May 20, 2017 7:23 am

I'm in the Bradford end later today.

Won't be wearing West Ham gear though, I'm a Bradford fan for afew hours.
marcus6

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat May 20, 2017 7:27 am

marcus6 wrote:I'm in the Bradford end later today.

Won't be wearing West Ham gear though, I'm a Bradford fan for afew hours.

Good work :thup:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby gavind on Sat May 20, 2017 7:44 am

Agree with the above re wearing the West Ham gear, although....

My son plays for the jnrs at South Park, who have a Ryman league team that we watch regular. South Park had a great run in the fa trophy this year eventually bowing out after scoring away at Tranmere Rovers. The whole thing was a great advert for football and there has been a great connection between the fans since.

Tranmere were at Wembley last weekend, a lot of South Park supporters and players went to watch and Tranmere actually asked specifically for them to wear South Park colours so they could all meet and greet! We would have gone ourselves were it not the same day as the scouser game. In retrospect may I should have gone!!
gavind

Postby fmgod on Sat May 20, 2017 8:57 am

Ridler wrote:Div 2 playoff. Man City won the Div 1 playoff, unbelievable.

One of the best game I've ever seen on TV as a kid, I was away somewhere watching it with my dad.

Also went to the Orient game that year where Calvo-Garcia got the winner for Scunthorpe
Last edited by fmgod on Sat May 20, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod

Postby BrisbaneRoad on Sat May 20, 2017 11:11 am

One of the best game I've ever seen on TV as a kid, I was away somewhere watching it with my dad.

Also went to the Orient game that year wear Calvo-Garcia got the winner for Scunthorpe[/quote]

An epically bad game of football that was
BrisbaneRoad

Postby James P on Sat May 20, 2017 12:41 pm

BrisbaneRoad wrote:An epically bad game of football that was

I went to that. Easily in the top five worst games I've ever seen. They scored in the 6th minute and then nothing happened after that.
James P

Next

Return to General Discussion