Hammers On Loan 2017/18

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Hammers On Loan 2017/18

Postby LeonRivers on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Here's last season's thread, for anyone wanting a reference: Hammers on Loan 2016/17

I'll keep this OP updated with all the stats for our players out on loan this season.

2017/18 Loans:

Toni Martinez - Real Valladolid : 31st January - end of season
Appearances: 2(9) - includes Playoffs: 0(1)
Goals: 1
Yellow Cards: 5

=========== Expired Loans =================

Josh Cullen - Bolton Wanderers: 1st August - 1st January
Appearances: 9(3)
Goals: 0
Yellow Cards: 1

Moses Makasi - Plymouth Argyle : 31st January - 17th April (injured)
Appearances: 6(1)

Reece Burke - Bolton Wanderers: 1st August - end of season
Appearances: 23(3) - includes EFL Cup: 1
Yellow Cards: 3
Man of the Match: 1

Martin Samuelsen - Burton Albion: 17th January - end of season
Appearances: 7(2)
Assists: 1
Yellow Cards: 1

Reece Oxford - Borussia Mönchengladbach: 20th June - end of season
Appearances: 6(2) - includes DFB Cup: 1
Yellow cards: 1

Robert Snodgrass - Aston Villa: 25th August - end of season
Appearances: 40(2) - includes Playoffs: 3
Goals: 7
Assists: 15
Yellow Cards: 11 - includes Playoffs: 2
Man of the Match: 2
Last edited by LeonRivers on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 am, edited 62 times in total.
LeonRivers

Re: Hammers On Loan 2017/18

Postby Bury Me @ The Boleyn on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Kudos to you for spelling out M'gladbach. :lol:
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Postby LeonRivers on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:02 pm

:D freestyled it as well. the 'oe' now updated to 'ö'
LeonRivers

Postby LeonRivers on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:03 pm

West Ham defender Reece Oxford joins Borussia Monchengladbach on loan

Borussia Monchengladbach have announced the signing of West Ham defender Reece Oxford on a one-year loan deal.

Oxford, 18, spent the second half of last season on loan at Reading but made only five appearances as they reached the Championship playoff final.

Announcing his arrival, Gladbach said: "Borussia Monchengladbach have agreed a loan deal with West Ham United for Reece Oxford. The 18-year-old defender will join the Fohlenelf on a contract running until June 2018."

Gladbach sporting director Max Eberl added: "Reece Oxford has played for England at youth level and is considered one of the country's best young defensive talents. This loan deal gives us the chance to add a very interesting player to our squad. On top of that, we've had good experience with signing young Premier League players in the recent past."

Oxford, who made his senior debut at the age of 16, remains under contract at West Ham until 2021 and has so far appeared in seven Premier League matches and two Europa League qualifiers for the Londoners.

West Ham boss Slaven Bilic said: "This is a fantastic opportunity for Reece to continue his development and experience top-level European football on a regular basis. He will play in a league which is very technical, which can only help him immensely, and he will also learn a new culture and gain valuable life experience.

"We believe Reece has a very exciting and successful future here at West Ham, and he now needs regular first-team football to ensure his progress continues. We wish Reece all the very best in this adventure, and look forward to welcoming him back to the club at the end of the season."

Full Story Here: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-t ... ch-on-loan
LeonRivers

Postby Loftyhammer on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Great work Leon...this thread always a favourite of mine :thup:

Will be fascinating to see how Reece gets on....should be the making of him both as a player and a person...if he wants make a proper go of it
Loftyhammer

Postby LeonRivers on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:29 pm

Walsall want to swoop for West Ham youngster for a second time in two seasons

West Ham U23 midfielder George Dobson could be set for another loan spell back at Walsall next season.

The 19-year-old centre midfielder enjoyed a successful loan spell at the Bescot Stadium last season, making 21 appearances for the club before returning to the U23s and helping them to PL2 play-off glory and promotion to Division One of the youth structure. Walsall boss Jon Whitney has kept in touch with Dobson and his agent and is hopeful of securing another loan move in the coming days and told the Express & Star: "George I am still in discussions with. I am still speaking with his agent. I watched him at the end of last year playing for West Ham U23s. I'm still in touch with George. There is nothing definite on that at the minute but we are still in touch "It is still in the pipeline but I'm not sure which way it will go yet."

Dobson had previously left the door open for a return to the Midlands, saying at the end of last season. He said: "I'll go back to West Ham at the end of the season and I've got one more year left on my contract and we'll see what happens from there. I want to be able to go back out on loan next season and Walsall is definitely a club I am interested in coming back to. I don't know what West Ham want to do but I am open to everything."

Full Story: http://www.football.london/west-ham-uni ... m-13239380
LeonRivers

Postby LeonRivers on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Bolton Wanderers make ambitious bid to sign two West Ham youngsters on loan next season

Bolton have registered their interest in taking West Ham pair Josh Cullen and Reece Burke on loan this season.

The two highly-rated youngsters have worked with Phil Parkinson before at Bradford City and are on the Whites’ shortlist if the Hammers decide to send them out for more experience. Cullen was considered last season before a surplus of midfielders in the Wanderers camp made the manager look elsewhere. The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international has got four senior appearances under his belt with West Ham and has been tipped for a regular spot in Slaven Bilic’s squad this time around.

But Parkinson has marked the 21-year-old’s card if his club decides a year in the Championship would be better for his development and the Whites could have a midfield spot to fill if Jay Spearing’s contract talks do not go according to plan.

Whereas Wanderers may have to sit and wait to see if Cullen is allowed out on loan this term, West Ham have already indicated Burke will be available after a spell with Wigan Athletic last season was blighted by injury.

In May, Hammers co-owner David Gold controversially expressed doubts about whether his club’s younger players would be able to push past senior professionals to command a regular Premier League spot. Since then, defender Reece Oxford has been loaned out to German giants Borussia Monchendgladbach. Wanderers would be able to offer regular football and have the fact Parkinson is well-known to both players counting in their favour. Burke played under the Whites boss at Bradford two years ago and won the Bantams’ player of the year award aged just 19. He is primarily a centre-half and has 12 appearances for his parent club, including experience in the Europa League.

Full Story Here: http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/15 ... loan_deal/
LeonRivers

Postby LeonRivers on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Burke and Cullen Join Bolton on Loan

PROMISING West Ham United youngsters, Reece Burke and Josh Cullen have linked up with Championship outfit Bolton Wanderers on a five-month loan deal.
The move sees both players reunited with Trotters manager, Phil Parkinson, who loaned the pair during the 2015/16 campaign when he was in the hot seat at Bradford City.
Speaking to the Hammers official website about the deal, manager Slaven Bilic said: “This is a perfect opportunity for Reece and Josh to continue the fantastic progress they have made in recent seasons.
“They are both very promising young players, who have shown that they have the right attitude, temperament and quality to have a successful future at West Ham United if they continue in the same manner.
“I have been really impressed with the impact they have made with us during pre-season but it is important that they continue to play serious, competitive football at this stage of their development.
Bilic continued: “I have had a few good, long chats with them both recently – they know what they have to do, and we agreed that playing regularly at this level will be far more beneficial for them.
“The Championship will give them the opportunity to test themselves against teams and players who will be fighting to get to the Premier League, and it will be a great experience for them.
“Bolton are a good club with an excellent manager in Phil Parkinson, who knows both Reece and Josh well, and we will be keeping a very close eye on their progress.
“I wish them all the very best in this adventure, and we look forward to welcoming them back to the Club next year.”

Full Story Here: http://www.barking-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=126791
LeonRivers

Postby sanchoz on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:57 am

Bolton Wanderers target at least two more signings in window after loaning West Ham pair Cullen and Burke

Chairman Ken Anderson told The Bolton News yesterday he was pleased with the overall strength of the squad and remained on track with his plans to reduce playing staff costs.

“Overall we have reduced salaries but not sacrificed quality,” he said. “I am very pleased we have got the two young lads from West Ham in – and we’d like to have done that sooner but we were in the hands of their parent club on the timing.

“We have had challenges recruiting players, which are well-documented, and have not been able to pay transfer or loan fees. When negotiating with clubs like West Ham and Newcastle there have been times when other club have offered a lot more in terms of wages.

“But I am confident we can continue to do business and bring in a couple more players before the end of the window to strengthen areas identified by the manager.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... Wanderers/

Bolton Wanderers complete double loan signing of West Ham United's Josh Cullen and Reece Burke

WANDERERS have completed the loan signing of West Ham duo Reece Burke and Josh Cullen.

The Hammers pair arrive at the Macron Stadium initially until January after travelling back from the Premier League club’s pre-season tour of Austria and Germany on Monday.

But it is understood there is an informal agreement between the two clubs to extend the loan in the New Year to the end of the season.

Tipped as future first team regulars at the London Stadium, Burke and Cullen have been on Wanderers’ radar all summer.

Phil Parkinson had hoped to bring them in at the start of pre-season but Hammers boss Slaven Bilic wanted to take a closer look at them on tour before granting permission for the move.

Burke is a centre-half who can also play right-back, and has been in the West Ham academy since the age of nine.

He played under Parkinson on loan at Bradford City two seasons ago and took the Bantams’ player of the year award but suffered an injury while on loan at Wigan Athletic last season, and was restricted to just 10 appearances.

In all he has played in 12 first team game for West Ham, making his Premier League debut in April 2015 against QPR

Cullen also linked up with the Bolton boss at Bradford, and also spent last season on loan at Valley Parade in League One.

He has played four senior games for the Hammers but has also racked up nearly 60 appearances in League One and a call-up to the Republic of Ireland Under-21 team.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... n_signing/
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby sanchoz on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Cullen and Burke raring to go at Bolton

They say a week is a long time in football. For Josh Cullen, that well-worn cliché could be altered to just two days!

On Sunday morning, the 21-year-old Hammers midfielder woke up at the Landhaus Wachtelhof Hotel in Rotenburg, Germany, hours after playing 60 minutes for Slaven Bilic’s team in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Werder Bremen in the second leg of their Betway Cup clash.

Just 24 hours later, he was back at the Club’s Rush Green training ground, putting pen to paper on a new three-year contract, before then heading straight up the M6 with fellow Academy graduate Reece Burke to sign a five-month loan agreement with Bolton Wanderers.

The Hammers pair met their new team-mates and manager Phil Parkinson at their first training session on Tuesday morning and, with a Championship curtain-raiser against Leeds United at the Macron Stadium lined up on Sunday, a whirlwind 48 hours left Cullen in excited mood.

“I'm looking forward to it,” he said. “I spoke to the gaffer and we've both agreed that the best thing for me is to go and get some time in the Championship and we'll take it from there.

“Obviously the manager still sees my future here and he has said that to me.

“I've signed a new contract, so that's good, and I'll keep playing games and hopefully come back in January or next season and play for West Ham, because that's my dream and what I'll continue to try and do.”

Having impressed Bilic and his staff during both his loan spell at League One Bradford last season and at the pre-season training camps in Austria and Germany in recent weeks, Cullen’s new deal at London Stadium is a clear sign that his long-term future is very much in the claret and blue.

However, with the likes of Pedro Obiang, Cheikou Kouyate, Mark Noble, Manuel Lanzini and Edimilson Fernandes vying for central midfield berths at London Stadium, the opportunity of regular first team football in the Championship – with a manager he knows well and respects – will ensure a more productive 2017/18 campaign for the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international.

“Phil Parkinson being at Bolton was obviously a big factor in my decision,” he said. “I know how he works, he knows how I work and we had a good relationship when I worked with him before, so I'm looking forward to linking back up with him.

“Hopefully I can get the games under my belt and put good performances in and keep learning and get more experience.

"They've just come up so it's going to be a challenge as we'll be playing against some massive clubs who have come down from the Premier League, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

“And it'll be good to have Reece up there with me as he's a great lad. Hopefully we can both do well.”

The pair could make their Trotters debuts in Sunday's Championship opener against Leeds United and Burke cannot wait.

He said: “I’m really glad the deal is done. I can’t wait to get started and our first game is this week, so hopefully I can train well and get a chance to start in that one. I’ve not played against Leeds before but it’s a big game and I’d love to be involved.

“I’m going to work hard and try and get as many games as I can this year; that’s what a loan move is all about.

“Last season didn’t go as well as I wanted it to because of injuries but hopefully this season will be different.”

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... -go-bolton
sanchoz

Postby sanchoz on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Phil Parkinson says loan stint at Bolton Wanderers will be good for West Ham United's Josh Cullen and Reece Burke

PHIL Parkinson is only too happy to give Josh Cullen and Reece Burke the chance to further their reputation in the Football League.

West Ham’s highy-rated pair linked up with Wanderers on loan this week after spending all summer under the watchful eye of Slaven Bilic.

Parkinson worked with both players at Bradford City and thinks the chance to play regular senior football will be better for their career than staying under the Hammers’ umbrella.

“West Ham are particularly good at letting their young players out and push them into league football,” he told The Bolton News.

“Quite often Under-23 and academy managers want to keep their players to win that level of league.

“When we first took Josh to Bradford he’d been on the bench for West Ham the previous week.

“Getting away from London, standing on your own two feet, having that maturity all helps. They will thrive on it and I know both of them are excited about spending the season with us.”

Parkinson was forced to wait for six weeks to get the deal over the line but was never in any doubt he would be able to factor Cullen and Burke into his plans for the Championship.

“They are two good players and we had to be patient but Terry Westley at West Ham has been brilliant, kept us informed on a weekly basis,” he said.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... Parkinson/

ALAN HOUGHTON'S FANS' VIEW: Bolton Wanderers 2-3 Leeds United

AT last the day had arrived – our first match back in the Championship.

For the first time in a long while, we have been looking forward to the kick off of the new season..........

This team will get better as the new players bed in.

Reece Burke looked comfortable when he replaced David Wheater and Adam Armstrong showed some badly needed pace when he came on.

MARC ILES' BIG MATCH VERDICT: Bolton Wanderers 2-3 Leeds United

A ball hadn’t even been kicked before Wanderers had their first two casualties of the new season.

Ameobi’s knee injury was confirmed by the club mid-morning – the winger missing six weeks of action – while the absence of Pratley on the team-sheet was put down to a virus.

That meant full debuts for West Ham loanee Josh Cullen and Stephen Darby plus first appearances for Will Buckley, Antonee Robinson, Aaron Wilbraham, Adam Armstrong and Reece Burke on the bench.

David Wheater limped off on the hour, replaced by Reece Burke

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ds_United/

comment from below the above article:

In general, we got better as the game wore on. Reece Burke looked real quality when he came on - and in good physical shape. Hopefully we won't miss Wheats who got injured.

"We got caught on the back foot against Leeds United," says Bolton Wanderers defender Andy Taylor

Parkinson named Stephen Darby and Josh Cullen in his starting line-up and had another five potential debutants on his bench against Leeds and Taylor believes there will be a spell of settling-in for some of the Macron new boys.

“We’ve got a few new signings but it’s no excuse, we’ve had all of pre-season to get that sorted,” he said. “We have had a few come in over the last week or so but I think they have integrated quite well.

“I’m sure in the coming weeks things will continue to gel and we’ll be fine in the end.”

“The lads who were on the bench came on and did very well, I thought, and we’ve also got players who were sat up in the stands who can come in and do a job for us.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... dy_Taylor/

Comment from below the above article:

Cullen - combative and energetic debut, looked a little isolated at times and needs someone in the re with him

Subs - Burke - looks the part and could be a useful player for us this year.
sanchoz

Postby sanchoz on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:15 pm

Loan watch: Cullen and Burke debut for Bolton

Josh Cullen and Reece Burke both made their Bolton Wanderers debuts at the end of the week which saw them move on loan to the Macron Stadium.

The Trotters took on Leeds United in their Championship opener on Sunday, but were beaten 3-2 in an entertaining clash in the north west.

Hammers midfielder Cullen, who impressed in League One on loan at Bradford City last campaign, started the match for Phil Parkinson’s men, but the visitors took the lead early on when Kalvin Phillips found the back of the net after seven minutes.

The division’s 2016/17 top goalscorer Chris Wood then doubled Leeds’ lead to complete a disastrous first half an hour of the season for Bolton.

Gary Madine pulled one back with six minutes remaining in the opening period, but Phillips was on hand to double his career Championship goal-tally in less than a half of football when he tapped home before the break.

An Adam Le Fondre penalty gave the hosts hope in the second half, but Wanderers – who handed Burke a debut from the bench in the 53rd minute – could not equalise.

Parkinson’s outfit have an opportunity to bounce back immediately on Wednesday when they take on Crewe Alexandra in the Carabao Cup first round.

Meanwhile, Borussia Monchengladbach took on Leicester City in their final pre-season clash of the campaign on Friday, though Reece Oxford missed out with an ankle problem.

The Foxes ran out 2-1 winners, with Jamie Vardy bagging a brace to turn the game around after Thorgan Hazard had given the German side the lead early in the second half.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... but-bolton
sanchoz

Postby Jumby on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:43 pm

I was very surprised that Parkinson didn't start Burke, after seeing him clean up the awards when he was at Bradford, but I expect that will soon change after yesterday.
Jumby

Postby thejackhammer on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Jumby wrote:I was very surprised that Parkinson didn't start Burke, after seeing him clean up the awards when he was at Bradford, but I expect that will soon change after yesterday.

Cullen only started through injury, I think he wanted to integrate them slowly as they've only just arrived.

I would imagine them both starting most games
thejackhammer

Postby sanchoz on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 pm

MATCH VERDICT: Crewe 1 Bolton Wanderers 2

Derik Osede made a welcome return in defence and with Reece Burke and Will Buckley also making their first starts, the Whites looked altogether more comfortable in possession than they had in the first 45 minutes against Leeds.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... nderers_2/

Some images from the match:

sanchoz

Postby Alfiehammer on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Work in a gym, every knows I'm a West Ham ST holder (o I suffered yesterday and probably today) so get to talk to a lot of fans of other teams. One of the young lads I used to train is a millwall season ticket holder and asked him what he thought of Burke/ Cullen after the millwall/ Bolton game. He said both, specially Burke were the better players on the day a d they are definetly fine for the championship, but he couldn't see anything that said they would be premier league level either.

Just saying.
Alfiehammer

Postby Jumby on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:26 pm

I saw plenty in Burke, over two years ago, to suggest he could cut it at Premier League level. We kept clean sheets in the Premier League with Burke at centre half.
Jumby

Postby LeonRivers on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Cullen is a very unspectacular player. The job he does will not allow him to stand out. His ball retention and passing range is superb though. He should be a decent premier league player at least, in my opinion.
LeonRivers

Postby sanchoz on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:38 pm

MILLWALL 1 WANDERERS 1: Match verdict, pictures and players ratings

On-loan youngster Reece Burke overcame a bout of illness to put in a mature display at the heart of the defence, his pace and reading of the game standing out in his first full start.

And fellow Hammers academy graduate Josh Cullen showed he has bought immediately into Phil Parkinson’s endeavour-heavy philosophy now looking right at home in the Championship after two seasons with Bradford City.

Wanderers have areas to work on, particularly in possession. For spells of the first half Parkinson’s side invited pressure on themselves by flinging seemingly aimless high balls up towards Gary Madine and Adam Le Fondre – both of whom cut frustrated figures for much of the game. Once Jem Karacan and Cullen established some order in the middle of the park, the afternoon immediately became more comfortable.

Cullen’s tracking back was good to see and one sliding challenge on Jed Wallace inside the penalty box brought a deserved ovation from the Bolton fans behind the goal.

Burke wasn’t to be outdone and though he had fallen ill on the day his speed of thought prevented any great drama in the Wanderers box in a tight and competitive first half.

WANDERERS (3-5-2)

MARK HOWARD 7

DORIAN DERVITE 6

REECE BURKE 8

MARK BEEVERS 7.5

MARK LITTLE …6

JEM KARACAN …6.5

JOSH CULLEN 7

DARREN PRATLEY 6

ANDY TAYLOR 6.5

ADAM LE FONDRE 6

GARY MADINE 6.5

Subs: Morais 7, 53 (for Little), Armstrong 6, 69 (for Le Fondre), Wilbraham 83 (for Madine).

Not used: Alnwick, Robinson, Derik, Buckley.

STAR MAN: Reece Burke

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... s_ratings/

Bolton Wanderers boss Phil Parkinson is happy with West Ham loanees Reece Burke and Josh Cullen after Millwall draw

PHIL Parkinson praised Irons loan pair Reece Burke and Josh Cullen for putting the mettle into Wanderers’ draw at Millwall.

The West Ham youngsters played a central role in getting the Whites off the mark in the Championship with a point at The Den.

Filipe Morais cancelled out George Saville’s second-half strike with a fine free-kick but Parkinson gave special credit to Burke and Cullen for helping to secure a result.

“Young Reece showed great maturity out there,” he said. “He won’t want me telling you this but he was ill before the game and at half time but he had no hesitation at all about staying on the pitch.

“It’s not easy for West Ham players to come and play at Millwall but I thought both him and Josh Cullen did really well.

“He’s playing against two wily old foxes in Morison and Gregory who are pulling every trick in the book. At times they were clever drawing files.

“But when I met Reece again this summer I felt there was an obvious maturity in him and I have been really pleased with him.”

Cullen also impressed the Wanderers boss in his second start for the club.

“Josh has played in League One for the last 18 months and the pace is quicker but he adapted again and got better as the game wore on,” he said.

“He picked up a lot of pieces when the ball came back to him and served the wider centre-backs and full-backs.

“He has got that habit of always showing for the ball. We said that before the game that we’d need the bravery.”

Parkinson admits goal-scorer Morais may not yet be ready to start games after recovering from a knee injury but was pleased to see him come up with the goods after entering as a second-half substitute.

“Fil is not ready to be starting the game yet but he is capable of producing moments of quality,” he said.

“Chances were few and far between. It was a tight game and it started at 100 miles per hour, as we expected.

“We took the sting out of the game for periods of the first half and then in the second, did we start poorly? I don’t think we did, but it was a scrappy goal.

“In that instance all you can ask for is the response and we gave one.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... wall_draw/

Bolton Wanderers defender Mark Beevers happy to take Millwall boos to save West Ham pair Josh Cullen and Reece Burke

MILLWALL old boy Mark Beevers was happy to play pantomime villain if it saved team-mate Josh Cullen and Reece Burke from “special treatment” at The Den.

Fans in South London normally reserve their hottest receptions for anyone with links to fierce capital rivals West Ham.

But Hammers loanees Cullen and Burke got away relatively unscathed as the Millwall support turned their sights on the big defender – who had the last laugh, clearing two goal-bound efforts in the second half to preserve a point for Phil Parkinson’s side.

“I think Josh and Reece will be quite happy I was in the team today,” Beevers joked after the game.

“I played here for four years and I know what it’s like – you’re going to get a bit of stick.

“You can’t take it seriously. To be honest I’d like to think after four years I’d get a warm reception but it’s how it is.

“They were a big part of my career so far and it is nice to come back here and see a few old faces, chat to a few of the boys and the manager.

“I expected it. Those kind of things you have to block out of your mind and concentrate on what you are doing on the pitch.”

Beevers has been impressed by defensive partner Burke since he stepped into the back three for the injured David Wheater.

“He’s a quality young player and to be in the middle of a back three you have got to have broad shoulders and be able to talk to the players in front of you,” he said. “There’s a lot of decision-making to be done and I thought he got it all spot on.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... nts-anchor

The Whites’ loan star Burke maturing nicely

HE is barely out of his teenage years but Phil Parkinson has an old head on young shoulders in Reece Burke.

The 20-year-old anchored the Whites’ back three in the cauldron of The Den and showed great poise and leadership way beyond his tender years.

Burke who, along with another White-hot prospect in Josh Cullen, is with the Wanderers squad on loan from West Ham United until the turn of the year. And they are really catching the eye as they continue their development.

While many will have been surprised it seems it is nothing less than Parkinson expected when he sent on a more-than able replacement for David Wheater in the opening-day defeat to Leeds.

“I’m pleased with Reece, he’s a player I’ve worked with before at Bradford,” he told The Bolton News.

“He adds something different to the team, so we were keen to bring him in, he’s got qualities, good pace which is important but also he’s got quality on the ball.

“But first and foremost he’s a defender and when he was called upon he defended well.”

Parkinson knew what he was getting in Burke, as he took him to Bradford City on loan two years ago. His faith in the youngster was repaid when he won the club’s player-of-the-year prize.

And he is not short on experience either, having played top-flight and Europa League football for his parent club as well as gaining England under-18, u19 and u20s caps.

So, despite him having had an injury-hit season with just 10 appearances for Wigan Athletic last time around, making the move to join up with him again was an easy decision for Parkinson.

“I had no doubts about Reece going in the centre at all. In that position in the middle of the back three it’s important to be a good communicator and he really is, and for a young man he’s showed really good leadership qualities so far,” he added.

Burke and his team-mates can expect another hard day’s night tonight at Birmingham City, with the aerial threat Harry Redknapp’s Blues possess.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... nts-anchor
sanchoz

Postby Sir_Trevor on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 pm

I see that Bolton drew 0-0 away at Harry's Brum tonight - a clean sheet for Burke, who played the full game along with Cullen.
Sir_Trevor

Next

Return to General Discussion