The West Ham United Youth Thread - 2017/18

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The West Ham United Youth Thread - 2017/18

Postby Kai Whufcyouth on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56 am

Pre-season games begin today! Friendlies for the U18s and U23s against Bishop's Stortford and Barnet respectively.
Kai Whufcyouth

Postby LeonRivers on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Well at least Quinoa/Quinna has one of the attributes required to make it at West Ham. :lol:
LeonRivers

Postby Bury Me @ The Boleyn on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Don't know if anyone saw but the club released Djair Parfitt-Williams on Friday.

http://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/arti ... an-forward
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Gerorge Dobson gone too.
Bit of a surprise, that.

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017 ... -rotterdam
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby only1post on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 am

On the keeper front Joseph Anang was a new name I hadn't heard of.
only1post

Postby YorksHammer on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 am

only1post wrote:On the keeper front Joseph Anang was a new name I hadn't heard of.

Think I saw him described as a trialist somewhere, but he was certainly with the U17s in Japan earlier this year - https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... an-day-one

The Hammers kicked off the group stage in Osaka with a hard-fought victory over Japanese side Renofa Yamaguchi.

It was a warm day at the J-Green Sakai facility, but the youngsters showed terrific resolve to fight back from a goal down and earn a crucial three points.

Yamaguchi took the lead within the opening 15 minutes. A misplaced Ben Johnson pass allowed the opposing striker a route to goal and he duly obliged, firing past Joseph Anang.

I thought we really rated Dobson, so surprised to see us sell him as opposed to loan him out. Wonder if we've got a buy back clause in there. Playing in the Dutch first division is as good a move as he could hope for one would think. Shame, as he's a lifelong fan as well isn't he? Maybe he'll be back here one day.
YorksHammer

Postby LeonRivers on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Saw a few players wearing different numbers today.

Fletcher in 18
Was Holland wearing Sakho's 15?
Cullen from 39 to 33
Makasi in Fletcher's 24 shirt. Very impressed with his maturity. He didn't look out of place at all.
Rice wore Doneil Henry's 25, I think.
LeonRivers

Postby Bury Me @ The Boleyn on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:56 pm

LeonRivers wrote:Saw a few players wearing different numbers today.

Fletcher in 18
Cullen from 39 to 33
Makasi in Fletcher's 24 shirt. Very impressed with his maturity. He didn't look out of place at all.

Good eye, Leon!
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Postby Kai Whufcyouth on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Anang is a Ghanaian keeper - been with us for a while actually but I'm unsure if he's signed officially. 16/17 years old I think, I'm not too sure. Very talented, could may well play a few U23 games if he can.

U18s drew 1-1 with Palace today and next up for them is a training camp in Slovakia. U23s also beat D&R 2-1, Jahmal Hector-Ingram and Dan Kemp on the scoresheet. Anang started that game and was unlucky as their goal was a penalty.
Kai Whufcyouth

Postby Kai Whufcyouth on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Bury Me @ The Boleyn wrote:Don't know if anyone saw but the club released Djair Parfitt-Williams on Friday.

http://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/arti ... an-forward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Djair left last season apparently, though I'm unsure why. His contract was up anyway and it was a shame to see him leave, I quite liked him.
Kai Whufcyouth

Postby Kai Whufcyouth on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:46 pm

LeonRivers wrote:Saw a few players wearing different numbers today.

Fletcher in 18
Cullen from 39 to 33

Well spotted! I'd expect a few of them to get new numbers in the "30s" should they stay with us this season - maybe even more significant ones depending on transfer activity etc.
Kai Whufcyouth

Postby Kai Whufcyouth on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Anang just waiting for international clearance now!

New look design on the site as well: https://whufcyouth.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... hufcyouth/
Kai Whufcyouth

The Academy

Postby Colours never run on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Is anyone else as excited as I am about the prospect of our latest crop about to come through or just expect most, if not all of them to fall by the wayside?

Granted some have been bought in and only briefly played with the development or youth teams but there's also some that have been around for donkies learning their trade.

Rice
Cullen
Burke
Oxford

Quina
Holland
Samuelsen
Martinez

There appears to be a lot of talent there to work with before considering anyone else. Who do you think makes it in the Premier League?
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Longaz on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:37 pm

Colours never run wrote:Is anyone else as excited as I am about the prospect of our latest crop about to come through or just expect most, if not all of them to fall by the wayside?

Granted some have been bought in and only briefly played with the development or youth teams but there's also some that have been around for donkies learning their trade.

Rice
Cullen
Burke
Oxford

Quina
Holland
Samuelsen
Martinez

There appears to be a lot of talent there to work with before considering anyone else. Who do you think makes it in the Premier League?

I'm pretty sure Rice, Oxford and Quina will all make it as premier league players. I reckon Burke, Holland and Martinez are all in with a shout but perhaps not as promising as the previous 3. Not so sure about Cullen and Samuelsen. I had big hopes for Samuelsen in he's first season with us but he seems to have hit a bit of a wall. All 8 places seem very talented but I doubt any club has produced 8 premier league players from their youth team within a couple of years of each other.
Longaz

Postby Colours never run on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 am

Southampton, Everton or Spurs in recent years have probably been closest to doing that.

But that's not a bad assessment. I think Holland might be a dark horse of the lot catching many unaware after just arriving on the scene but he does seem to have grasped his opportunity to date. Touch of the young Lampards about him whenever he gets in and around the box although he can also dribble with the ball which the fat **** could never do. I've also not given up on Samuelsen and think being out of the limelight will do him bit of good.

I do expect most of our young defenders to make it as squad players in the Prem at least (not necessarily with us) and of course I have high hopes for Martinez.

It's weird but out of everyone, its probably Cullen I find least likely to make it permanently with us and feel we might let him go if he doesn't make it now. I'm not sure whether he's got the robust build and stamina for the role in the middle of the park at the highest level. Although so far so good from him, More of a hunch and hope he too can make it.

I can only see a lot of promising signs for the youth in our Club right now at just the right time transitioning into the new surroundings. We need a deep decent squad with talented kids in the background and the Clubs clearly invested a lot of time, effort and money into making it a success and I'm highly optimistic it'll work.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Patito on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 am

It's unlikely but I can see all of those bar Samuelson making it. Would love us to have more Academy graduates in the squad, it would be something to be proud of.

Burke, Martinez and Rice have impressed me the most I'd say.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby Chelmo Hammer on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:13 am

Article on the OS really bigging up Rice today:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/31-july/declan-rice-admits-rise-hammers-prominence-has-been-bit-mad

He certainly looks a prospect and I can see him being given the same role that Oxford had in Slavs first season - defensive utility getting a few minutes here and there to get him introduced to Premier League football.
Chelmo Hammer

Postby Colours never run on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Looks like the extensive policy of signing decent prospects continues...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -halmstads

:thup:
Colours never run

Postby Italian Hammer on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Being reported on youtube (indonesian channels) that we have given a trial to Ezra Walian from the same place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i80WwYHS19U

Obligatory clip
Italian Hammer

Postby Colours never run on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 pm

What I like which the Club often get criticised about, is not having any kind of 'plan'. Yet I'm seeing a real concerted effort signing highly regarded young attacking midfielders. A philosophy to encourage as much creative talent as we can in recent times where we produce a conveyor belt of attacking goalscoring lads that will in time bolster the squad with that little special touch. Sure, not every single one will come off but the idea is sound and they're clearly prepared to spend relative big on these youth talents to do it and even be patient depending on which ones come in. Most of them have a similar profile and won't stop in their search for another up and coming talent. Its not something we've really done as a Club on this scale before.

Lanzini - 22 - loan to begin with option to buy £9m
Samuelsen - 19 - comes from Man City
Fernandes - 20 - £5.5m from Soon
Quina - 16 - Comes via Chelsea
Martinez - 19 - £2.5m from Valencia
Holland - 18 - Comes via Everton
Anouar El Mhassani - 16 - Signed from Ajax
Haskabanovic - 18 - £2.7m

£19.7m shows real ambition to try getting some of the best kids around looking for the long term.

It's a policy to be applauded.
Colours never run

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion