OS to host rugby match - in MARCH

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: OS to host rugby match - in MARCH

Postby Jumby on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:42 pm

We were made out to be stealing from the taxpayer by making use of an otherwise fairly useless stadium. For 20 plus games a season they get all the food and drink money, they get 2.5m a year and, of course, no doubt lots of other little things.

What a colossal f**k up this has been
Jumby

Postby hammer1975 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:09 pm

As long as they don't rip the pitch up or signs all need to come down at stupid expense like the athletics does this cause any real issues?
hammer1975

Postby Hammer.CA on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:40 pm

61dicksey wrote:I reckon this will not be the highest scoring game at the O/S next season :oops:

Nice try.
Hammer.CA

Postby smuts on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Colours never run wrote:So not only are we having to accommodate Athletics this season by having 3 of our home games rearranged, we also have to put up with Rugby carving up the pitch at the business end of the same season as well. If the Board had a veto, they are bang in the wrong to allow this. They need serious questioning over this and why they allowed it, if they were allowed too at all..

It just gets worse all the time. We've been sold a pup. And we rent one as well..........
smuts

Postby e-20 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:07 pm

Jumby wrote:We were made out to be stealing from the taxpayer by making use of an otherwise fairly useless stadium. For 20 plus games a season they get all the food and drink money, they get 2.5m a year and, of course, no doubt lots of other little things.

If I remember right they get plenty of the advertising income too.

Yes all that stick we took about getting it on the cheap and the Daves and Brady could say nothing about all the associated money's we had to give up or indirectly goes to the owners because if they did they would be revealing to the fans just how poor a deal it is with all the added hostility that would have caused, everything had to be presented as a positive so the 'deal of the century' was allowed to be fed virtually unchallenged beyond 'its a good deal for everyone' . And the press of course had no motivation to help them out on that one.
e-20

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:27 pm

I fear the call for more multi purpose will extend after mayors report as they just have to justify the legacy and make it pay .It wouldn't surprise me if it's the reason the heads groundsman has left.
bubbles500

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Shame it's a Union game, that's the code that hacks up the ground with rucking and scrums.

Still, the board must be happy with it because her highness assured us the club can veto any event during term time.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby last.caress on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Diogenes wrote:I believe we have to accept we have what we have

We do. We accept that the present owners sold our home of a hundred years in exchange for rented space in an athletics stadium almost totally unfit for football.

Diogenes wrote:a successful stadium is in everyone's best interest rather than an unsuccessful one with all the potential negative connotations that would continue to ensue.

Of course. But we don't have a successful stadium, we rent an unsuccessful one. Pretending the stadium is fantastic simply because we're stuck with it for the foreseeable won't make it so. I caught my plumbags in a car door once; I tried to call it a lovely blow-job but, alas, it was agonising plumbag-door-slam trauma. Which, coincidentally, is almost exactly the same feeling as waking up every morning and remembering that your football club is owned and run by David Gold, The Sullivan clan and Karren Brady.
last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultima.carezza, prega per la tua morte.

Postby Rio on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:09 pm

I can't see the problem. And not just as I like saracens and will get a chance to see them without chocking all the way to he other side of London.

It's one game. Reading have London Irish playing their every week. Old Trafford hosts rugby league regularly. Wembley' pitch problems have only come to the fore because the pitch doesn't get the sunlight as opposed to the old stadium design. That coped well once the pitch was taken seriously in the 80's onwards.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Skipper on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:41 am

Rio wrote:I can't see the problem. And not just as I like saracens and will get a chance to see them without chocking all the way to he other side of London.

It's one game. Reading have London Irish playing their every week. Old Trafford hosts rugby league regularly. Wembley' pitch problems have only come to the fore because the pitch doesn't get the sunlight as opposed to the old stadium design. That coped well once the pitch was taken seriously in the 80's onwards.

Quite agree.
Skipper

Postby vietnammer on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:45 am

Worst news would be 'OS to Host Football Match'. We might be second-string yet.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby ereford ammer on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:50 am

Jumby wrote:We were made out to be stealing from the taxpayer by making use of an otherwise fairly useless stadium. For 20 plus games a season they get all the food and drink money, they get 2.5m a year and, of course, no doubt lots of other little things.

And yet according to her majesty, this was the greatest stadium migration in history, Brady out.
ereford ammer

Postby eastsider on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 am

As a rugby and a Saracens fan I am happy as Larry about the game taking place.
I do get the worries about the pitch though........

I would highly recommend giving it a try (no pun intended!!) :D
eastsider

Postby mushy on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 am

bubbles500 wrote:I fear the call for more multi purpose will extend after mayors report as they just have to justify the legacy and make it pay .It wouldn't surprise me if it's the reason the heads groundsman has left.

Bubbles, even by your standards, that is surely some real stretch of the imagination.
Why would the head groundsman leave because of one Rugby game?
mushy

Postby bubbles500 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Bubbles, even by your standards, that is surely some real stretch of the imagination.
Why would the head groundsman leave because of one Rugby game?[/quote]

Not sure that's what I said,it was more in reference to implications of mayors report which the club could possibly already have.It would seem logical that report could recommend that a lot more events are played at the stadium to make it financially viable.This may have been relayed to the groundsman,who may have thought **** that.Granted there's quite a few ifs and maybes in my theory haha.
bubbles500

Postby Graza on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:55 pm

So in March when we are not unlikely to be balls deep in a relegation battle, and the weather is not unlikely to be awful, we are not unlikely to have a ruined pitch...

Let's hope Carroll is on his annual 3 game run out so we can hoof the ball at him.
Graza

Postby Thekorean on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 pm

It's a one time thing, and Huddersfield shares ground with Giants regularly.

What is the big deal here?
Thekorean

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:51 pm

The Giants play Rugby League which doesn't have rucks, mauls or proper scrums. Union does, and these are what damage the pitch.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Rio on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Reading's pitch hasn't suffered that badly
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Kialos on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Not a clue about club rugby, where would these teams normally play their games?
Kialos

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion