Joe Hart signs

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Joe Hart signs

Postby Jumby on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Hopefully he means that Hart will play against his old club and then f**k off to Newcastle to take them down.
Jumby

Postby thejackhammer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:05 am

Vienna wrote:I really can't understand why Moyes keeps saying this:-

“Joe will play on Sunday, but Joe will play a lot of Premier League games this season as well.

Does he not expect Adrian to keep playing well, has he no faith?. Hart is right up there as one of the worst keepers we have ever had.

Because ‘Adrian is better so Hart can get used to the bench’ isn’t a good way to keep a player that will only be here for a few more months motivated.
thejackhammer

Postby rciron on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Jumby wrote:Hopefully he means that Hart will play against his old club and then f**k off to Newcastle to take them down.

:thup:
rciron

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Captain Slaphead wrote:And that there was some dim-and-distant regulation about only being registered for two clubs max in a season -- which I assume he's "achieved" through Man City & WH ?

He can be registered with a max three clubs during one season (and only one at a time). However, he is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby Lovejoy2 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:28 pm

“Joe will play on Sunday, but Joe will play a lot of Premier League games this season as well.

Does he not expect Adrian to keep playing well, has he no faith?. Hart is right up there as one of the worst keepers we have ever had.

But surely by playing Hart today it'll make him cup-tied for any other club he might join and make them less interested in signing him??
Lovejoy2

Postby Rio on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Because there’s no greater way to demotivate a player than say, he ain’t playing again this season.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby westlondonhammer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Rio wrote:Because there’s no greater way to demotivate a player than say, he ain’t playing again this season.

Indeed...especially if Adrian gets injured, suspended or his 'purple patch' ends.

We are lucky in many ways to have such a high calibre alternative waiting for a chance. A flawless performance today is needed from him...
westlondonhammer

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 am

From today's Times. Mods - feel free to pull this if I'm contravening any rules by posting paid content from a daily:

JOE HART INTERVIEW
Joe Hart: ‘If you’re not optimistic, you won’t be ready to fight’
In his first exclusive interview since his move to West Ham, Joe Hart talks about the fight for his World Cup place and what makes him tick as a goalkeeper

Henry Winter
January 13 2018, 12:01am,
The Times
Football
Hart says that Southgate has been nothing but positive towards him but there is great competition for the England No 1 spot
Hart says that Southgate has been nothing but positive towards him but there is great competition for the England No 1 spot
IAN TUTTLE FOR THE TIMES
Save
Even during these difficult times for Joe Hart, he remains totally focused on his craft. Now fighting to get a start for West Ham United on loan from Manchester City, the goalkeeper with two titles and 75 England caps spends hours analysing goalkeepers from all over the world, and scrutinising any changes in attackers’ approaches one-on-one.

Hart is particularly fascinated by the mechanics of Mesut Özil’s new trick — that dinked finish to beat Liverpool’s Simon Mignolet in Arsenal’s 3-3 draw last month. “It’s almost like a slower ball at cricket,” Hart says. “The ball dies on you, even though it looks like he’s swung through and it should be coming at you at pace.

“There’s so much variety now. A free kick that’s becoming more common is under the wall. [Philippe] Coutinho’s used it a lot. If you have four big guys jumping up, it’s almost impossible to get the free kick up and over. We played Brazil and Marcelo was countering it, so the wall would jump as high as it could and he almost lay down behind the wall.

“I think 100 per cent in the future there will be a goalkeeper, goalkeeper coach or coach who will just say, ‘Don’t bother with a wall.’ Until then, I want as imposing a wall as I can. And you also have to be aware of the ‘reverse’. Yohan Cabaye can reverse a free kick to whip it back hard, back on me.”

Hart is sitting in a hotel by the Thames, reflecting on the many challenges he faces, physical as well as mental. To a question beginning: “You’ve had a great club career . . .” he replies: “In the middle of one, yes.”

He is quietly determined. His goalkeeping proves that. “I’ve had a few hits [boots in the face]. I hear the impact, which stuns you. I can’t tell whether I’m cut. I wait until I see the doctor, and you can read a doctor’s face. I gashed my eye [for City against Crystal Palace in 2013, five stitches], but as long as you can put it back together, you go again. With the competition, I can’t afford for something not that important to affect what I’m trying to do.

Hart has not played in the Premier League since conceding four goals in the defeat away to Everton in late November
Hart has not played in the Premier League since conceding four goals in the defeat away to Everton in late November
SAM BAGNALL/GETTY IMAGES
“There are ways of wheeling yourself out there. The index fingers on both hands hurt constantly. Even if I’m in pain, if I can physically get through the start of a game the pain goes with concentration. The way my body works is that I’ve only got room for one serious bit of pain. If it’s my ankle at the moment the stiffness in my lower back goes.

“Gary Lewin [the West Ham medic] was telling me that Oleg Luzhny [at Arsenal] had chronic back pains, and went back to Ukraine, came back and said, ‘I’m fully cured.’ They got a bowl, filled it with bees, put it on his back and stung the life out of him, which took all the shooting pains in his back away because the pain focused on the stings.”

The 30-year-old understands the risks of his profession. He winces at the memory of the injury sustained by Petr Cech when colliding with Reading’s Stephen Hunt in 2006. “That could have been it for him, a straight knee inside of his skull,” Hart says. “It could have been not just the end of football but the end of him. The fact that he’s getting on with what he’s doing is massive respect for him.” He admires resilience, also embodied by Ederson, the City goalkeeper who needed eight stitches after encountering Sadio Mané’s raised boot in September. “It hurt him, but I don’t think it would mentally affect him. He played four days later.”

Discarded by Pep Guardiola, Hart is still revered at City, where they remember with gratitude some of his astonishing performances, such as a string of saves against Borussia Dortmund on October 3, 2012. “My first save I got the tiniest touch to a shot [from Mario Götze] that got the post,” he says. “People weren’t sure whether I’d touched it or not.”

His display against Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez and Neymar at the Nou Camp in March 2015 was arguably greater. “We were getting pummelled. It was a constant barrage. I had three of my friends sat in the family bit, it was funny being able to zone out, look over and laugh with them about the madness going on in front of me.” Hart made seven incredible saves, and was embraced by Suárez. “I’ve always had good battles with Suárez. There’s mutual respect there. I’ll say, ‘Good goal,’ or if I make a good save, sometimes they’ll come and give you a tap [of appreciation].”

A year later, on England duty, Hart frustrated Slovenia’s Jasmin Kurtic in Ljubljana, pushing a header left-handed on to the bar and then touching it away with his right. “Sometimes when the ball flashes past you, you can’t move. I remember going after it, and saving, I didn’t know I’d done the second bit. That was instinct.’’ In England’s last game, Hart thwarted Paulinho, of Brazil, with his chest. “He smashed it at my chest. To get my body out of the way to save it with my hands would have taken more time. I had to save it wherever.”

He works hard on his penalty-stopping technique. Of the 14 penalties Hart has saved out of 54, notable scalps include Wayne Rooney, Messi, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho and Cesc Fàbregas. “Frank [Lampard] as well,” he adds. “I’m fascinated by penalties. I love shootouts.

“I totally convince myself I know exactly what’s going to happen, that I know what they’re thinking, whether they’re going to stutter, wait for me, whether they’re nervous. I’m wrong a lot of the time but in my head everything’s fine. As soon a penalty is given, I think, ‘I’ve got this.’ ”

England’s goalkeeper was embarrassed by Andrea Pirlo’s “Panenka” for Italy at Euro 2012. “To do that, it was like, ‘Well done, next penalty, move on.’ ” He would consider staying in the middle. “Definitely now. It’s become such a common penalty, the Panenka, and also just putting your head down and blazing it.

“Simon Mignolet saved one off ‘Vards’ [Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy when Liverpool defeated them in September] because Jamie has no disguise to what he’s doing, he just runs up and blazes it as hard as he could.”

Hart talks to his team’s penalty-takers, recalling how Alan Shearer took them differently in training before big games to how he would then take any in the match. “I always give advice to my penalty-taker when they practise, like Alan, to take some seriously, miss some, but have your one you want to take in the mix because there are eyes and ears everywhere.”

Hart grew up learning from Peter Schmeichel’s star-jump saves. “He gave you the style to make the save when nothing’s in your favour,” Hart says. “He put people under pressure. If they’re three yards out, and a goal is a given, you can be really aggressive and dominant even though you’re 40-60 against. There are not so many strikers who can stay ice-cool with the madness of football, with defenders trying to get back. Sometimes the coolest one wins out of the goalkeeper and striker. Not everyone’s as cool and calm as Messi.”

He also admires the man in goal for Barcelona, Marc-André ter Stegen. “He’s phenomenal. He’s ridiculous with his feet, I’ve never seen anyone so calm with distribution,” Hart says. “He’s got these massive hands, he’s very confident in all the saves. David De Gea just saves everything. That’s a style [using his feet to save] he became comfortable with at Atletico Madrid and his coach now [Emilio Álvarez] is the one he had at Atletico. He’s very calm and puts a lot of pressure on the striker. His performance against Arsenal recently was brilliant.

“We have our own boys doing really well, the English boys: [Nick] Pope, [Jack] Butland, [Jordan] Pickford, Tom [Heaton], Big Frase [Fraser Forster]. There’s a lot of talent in this league. I played against Dean Henderson for Shrewsbury [on loan from Manchester United] and he has barely let a goal in this season [13 in 23 League One games].

“It was humbling to go back and play at Shrewsbury Town at the weekend [in the FA Cup]. That’s where I started. I was glad I went now I’m older, have had good and bad happen to me, than go there when I was 25 when everything was going my way. It’s my town. I was seeing kids after the game [when signing autographs] and I knew the parents. I’ve still got a strong group of friends there, my family still lives there. All through the years, people bump into my family and my friends, who tell me, ‘Oh, so and so asked how you were, they send their best.’ ”

Hart faces a fight to for his place with Adrián taking over as Moyes’s first-choice goalkeeper
Hart faces a fight to for his place with Adrián taking over as Moyes’s first-choice goalkeeper
IAN TUTTLE FOR THE TIMES
Shrewsbury fans saluted Hart, a nice change from some of the spleen elsewhere. “Getting unanimous praise is never going to happen, especially now,” he says. “In a stadium, I’ll get pelters from 360 degrees, getting tanked by people who are at a distance, who pay their money to come in, and I suppose I’m one of those figures who people aim things at. I just try to be the best I can be.

“The one really good thing is when someone comes up, and I’m one-on-one with someone, it’s always a nice conversation. There are a handful when someone comes up and says something terrible or aggressive to my face. The amount of stuff that gets said from a distance, you brush it off. If you want to fight with someone saying bad things about you, you’d be fighting 24 hours a day.

“I feel appreciated by my team-mates, my family and friends and by my managers. They are the most important people to me. Gareth Southgate’s been great for me. He’s kept it simple when explaining, ‘Whenever you’ve played for me, you’ve been bang on. You’ve helped my team I am picking to progress.’

“Whether he’s saying I am England’s No 1 I still don’t doubt he can change his decision. I’m fully aware of that. It [Southgate’s backing] is appreciated but I’d never rest on it. There’s going to be some big decisions coming up, and as long as I’ve got my name in the mix that’s the most important. To fit 23 players into a squad, with 40 to 50 of us trying hard to get in, is big.”

He knows he needs to be starting for West Ham. “Of course I do, especially to push for a starting place with England, I definitely need to be playing,” he says. “It’s something I’m working every day to be back in.”

David Moyes understands his situation. “He does, but his priority is West Ham. He’s not England manager. His priority is picking the best team for West Ham first and foremost to survive in the division and secondly to push up as high in the table as they can.

“I love being a part of England, love seeing the guys develop. When you’ve got the ammunition that England have got . . . I’m very optimistic going into the World Cup. I’m optimistic in everything I do. Unless you’re optimistic, you’re not ready for the fight. My first World Cup [in 2010] was heartbreaking. I felt frustration because I wanted to play. It’s not easy giving your best every day and no real carrot. But I loved being there for Greeny and Jamo [Rob Green and David James] and supporting the team as best I could.

“If I was to take one experience from sitting on the bench, and being part of a World Cup squad, is I’ve never kicked balls like that before from the sideline. Mental. It’s England, it takes over your passion. When Frank [Lampard] ‘scored’ against Germany, we were about eight yards on the pitch, celebrating.”

His love for England extends to cricket too. “With the Ashes, I try to nick an hour late at night. I love the radio commentary, Test Match Special. They’re really funny. They always find a way of bringing in Glenn McGrath and Adam Gilchrist and they’ll have a little go at each other. I just want England to win, and if they don’t, fine, I’ll still stick by them.

“Joe Root’s fantastic. I used to play county cricket against Moeen Ali. He was a fast bowler at Warwickshire [Hart bowled left-arm over at Worcestershire]. I don’t play now. I don’t get any time and I wouldn’t want to needlessly risk my livelihood. I want to play when I finish. I’m the only guy in football, apart from the Nevilles, who does like cricket. I get battered for it.”

Back to football, Hart praised the passion of England’s supporters. “Even in Malta, when there weren’t positive vibes, the away support was strong,” he says. “I don’t reckon there’s any other country that travel and support like we do. I’ve got friends who travel with England and they tell me it’s the best times of their lives. I’ve got friends who were mixed up in the pre-Russia thing in Marseilles, saying it’s one of the scariest things they’ve ever seen. They were fine. They’d still turn up at the next game and I imagine they’ll all be there in Russia. Whether I’m playing or not for England, I’d be involved somehow, as a fan, 100 per cent. I’d travel, build great friendships.”

England means everything to him, so mistakes still haunt him, such as the defeat by Iceland at Euro 2016. “I should have saved the second goal,” he says. “I hurt.”
DasNutNock

Postby AlfieG on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:59 am

If he does go this window is anyone out there really bothered.?

He's been totally underwhelming......
AlfieG

Postby rottiel on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:02 pm

AlfieG wrote:If he does go this window is anyone out there really bothered.?

He's been totally underwhelming......

Totally agree, what a waste of £100k a week he's turned out to be.

I was all in favour when he came as well..
rottiel

Postby szola on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Never needed him at the club. Was only brought in to sell tickets.
szola

Postby Hammerite on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm

'Marquee' signing on loan, right up Sullivans alley (!), which didn't improve the first 11, and not even sure it improved the squad.

Anyway, nice the see alleged model pro's not toughing it out and knuckling down when they lose their place...oh, wait a minute...

Absolute waste of £100k+ per week, when will these idiots ever learn?
Hammerite

Postby marshboy on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:59 pm

i have a feeling he will sign for Celtic in the next few days
marshboy

Postby HammerMan2004 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:00 pm

marshboy wrote:i have a feeling he will sign for Celtic in the next few days

Gordon out for 12 weeks. Could be our salvation.
HammerMan2004

Postby jastons on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:46 pm

Joe Hart was a signing we never needed to make. What a waste of money.
jastons

Postby Jumby on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Although it's not hard with us, whenever I say a signing is going to be s**t, they're s**t. Although I don't think Hart was s**t, he was a complete waste of time, effort and money.
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 pm

marshboy wrote:i have a feeling he will sign for Celtic in the next few days

Alan McKnight could play for Celtic, they'd still win the league.
Jumby

Postby Het-Field on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 pm

I don’t believe that this was a poor, or unnecessary signing (on paper). As beloved as he is, Adrian can be upgraded on. Also, Hart is England’s Number 1, a PL winner, with Champions League experience, and with major international tournament experience. The top clubs don’t need upgrades in the keeper department, and this made Hart available outside of the Top 6. Had Hart settled, he could have ended up being an inspired signing, and we could have have got him for a fraction of what it would have cost for a similar keeper.

Unfortunately, it has not turned out to be a successful match. It was a worthy experiment.
Het-Field

Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Postby MB on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 pm

I agree that Adrian can be improved on, but Hart (even on paper) was not an improvement. He isn’t a modern keeper. He is a keeper with some glaring technical flaws and we have seen just about every one at some point this season. He has made some good saves too, but these days keepers are judged on the ones they don’t save.

Anyone who watched him last season knew what we were getting and that ultimately it would prove a waste of money that was better spent elsewhere in the team.

It was a vanity signing by Sulli, possibly as a result of Bilic falling out with Adrian.

Yet another case of too much spent on the wrong player (on loan...) at the expense of something we needed.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby Puff Daddy on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 pm

MB wrote:I agree that Adrian can be improved on, but Hart (even on paper) was not an improvement. He isn’t a modern keeper. He is a keeper with some glaring technical flaws and we have seen just about every one at some point this season. He has made some good saves too, but these days keepers are judged on the ones they don’t save.

Anyone who watched him last season knew what we were getting and that ultimately it would prove a waste of money that was better spent elsewhere in the team.

It was a vanity signing by Sulli, possibly as a result of Bilic falling out with Adrian.

Yet another case of too much spent on the wrong player (on loan...) at the expense of something we needed.

and at a £100k a week wages and he's been with us since when?

I would rather not even begin to work out how much he has cost us, or should I say, how much we have unnecessarily wasted on him. Unless less, of course somebody else wants to work it out ?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion