Marko Arnautovic

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Marko Arnautovic Signs

Post by Colours never run »

Faithless wrote:
Someone else mentioned it being like Groundhog day selling our best players. I think our Groundhog day(years) is much more the failure to make the most of the deal ether by way of the financial aspect or the players recruited afterwards.

In my lifetime (and just off the top of my head) we've wasted money from Ferdinand, Lampard, Payet (least i think we have although not sure if we've spent it at all) more recently and under valued sales of Defoe, Cole, Carrick, Johnson, Parker even players like Tomkins were worth more than we sold him for. I know we got relegated for most of the undevalued ones but we even managed not to have sell on clauses for some of England's brightest young players.
100% Faithless. For too many times that I care to mention we've bent over when it comes to selling players cheaply. That culture needs to stop or not be as frequent as before. Always gives me the hump when it happens.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

sendô wrote:
West Ham need to show some intent and fast, otherwise we'll continually lose players like Payet, Arnie, Lanzini...
The Board have a reputation for not selling their biggest stars [ apart from Payet ] , there again we haven't had many stars that anyone would be interested in .

Keeping Arnautovic at West Ham would be Sullivan's biggest show of intent for this coming season , he needs to add more quality to the Squad and build a team around the Austrian .
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

I like Arnautovic. I do.

Yet, being 29, this is a good time to let him go.

Same with Hernandez
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Its not a good time to let him go, stupid comment.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

No matter who the owner is, there is only so much they can do to keep a player.

When the player decides they want to go, they will always find away.

I hope he stays, but if he is to go, I hope it's not a long, drawn out saga.
Patito

Post by Patito »

It's never "good" to let your best players go in their prime imo

edit - and I can't see Arnie leaving this window either
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Ozza wrote:
As much as it grates, that tosspot at Spuds has had it nailed for years, there's a reason they've gone from relegation threatened to top four regularly..
Again painful though it is to admit you're totally correct. This might be more of a transfers thread point but they also took real advantage of the relegated sides in the beginning. They hoovered up Carrick and Defore from us, Huddleston and Lennon from Leeds and a raft of other young players, the ones that made it stayed in the side for years and were sold for a profit, the ones that didn't make the grade were still sold for a profit!?

Just a quick glance at the teams that have gone down gives you Sam Field (20/CM) Oliver Burke (21/RM/RW) Tom Edwards (19/RB) that have all played at least a few time in the first team. They'd still cost but the chances of them recouping the outlay is far greater. They'd probably only set us back a couple of Hugills!

Not to mention the possible first teamers available that would improve out first team
Colours never run wrote: 100% Faithless. For too many times that I care to mention we've bent over when it comes to selling players cheaply. That culture needs to stop or not be as frequent as before. Always gives me the hump when it happens.
You'd think that'd be the first thing GSB would've done wouldn't you? No claret and blue specs needed to see it makes good business sense if nothing else.

Reminds me of a line by Cat in Red Dwarf: "Micky Mouse we ain't even Betty Boo!"
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

szola wrote:I like Arnautovic. I do.

Same with Hernandez
Considering it's all paper talk anyhow.....

Arnautovic - Terrible time to sell really, seems perfectly suited to how Pellers seems to set his sides up.

Hernandez - I've seen nothing to suggest he like to do anything out side the box so i'm not sure if he'd fit in - so if it allowed a player to come in that does fit the system...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I'd rather Pellegrini tried to play them up top together. If he's going to use flying overlapping wingers to supply 2 up top regularly, I could think of a lot worse Forwards to be waiting in the box when played properly.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

Colours never run wrote:I'd rather Pellegrini tried to play them up top together. If he's going to use flying overlapping wingers to supply 2 up top regularly, I could think of a lot worse Forwards to be waiting in the box when played properly.
I've no problem with that at all, if he can make it work then all power to him. My reservations are on how quickly we can go from an ultra defensive counter attacking side to a possession based one and tbh the way Hernandez performed in the cup games really angered me so i admit to being less enamoured with him in general, but am incredibly fickle :wink:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Faithless wrote:Hernandez - I've seen nothing to suggest he like to do anything out side the box so i'm not sure if he'd fit in - so if it allowed a player to come in that does fit the system...
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I respectfully suggest you remind yourself of what he offers. Including goals like that against Brighton away.

Get him up top with Arnautovic. Permanently. Pellegrini swarms the box when his sides attack, with 3/4 players always available for the cross. To have Hernandez in and around there would almost guarantee goals. We have to get him smiling, and get him scoring.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Same with Hernandez
From an economics perspective I agree. Chances are he won’t be worth more than he is now off the back of a decent six months.

From a footballing perspective it would be daft to sell him though as a good all round forward is key to making good, modern, football work and there aren’t as many of them as there should be.
Last edited by MB on Fri May 25, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

HammerMan2004 wrote: I respectfully suggest you remind yourself of what he offers. Including goals like that against Brighton away.

Get him up top with Arnautovic. Permanently. Pellegrini swarms the box when his sides attack, with 3/4 players always available for the cross. To have Hernandez in and around there would almost guarantee goals. We have to get him smiling, and get him scoring.
I think i might have kinda answered this above your post in my reply to CNR. If he fit's in Pellegrini's formation i have absolutely no issue. I'm not 100% up on how his 4-2-2-2 works but was under the impression that the forwards had to do a lot of closing down/pressing which is what i'm not convinced about when it comes to Hernandez. That might have been disillusionment on his part but some of his displays lacked effort to say the least, especially in the cup games.

I watched the YouTube link and respectfully :wink: I never at any point said he's not a lethal finisher in the box. It's the outside of the box application that worries me and in that link there's nothing outside the box apart from a couple of clips against Man Utd near the corner flag and a little pirouette in the centre circle.

However if like you say we'll be swarming the box and he'll fit in i'm all for it :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

If Man Utd come knocking for Arnie and he goes - then good luck to him. Bigger clubs than us have lost players to Man Utd despite wanting to keep them.

I don't want him to go, but it's Man Utd - the biggest club in the world. Every footballer's dream.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Faithless wrote:I think i might have kinda answered this above your post in my reply to CNR. If he fit's in Pellegrini's formation i have absolutely no issue. I'm not 100% up on how his 4-2-2-2 works but was under the impression that the forwards had to do a lot of closing down/pressing which is what i'm not convinced about when it comes to Hernandez. That might have been disillusionment on his part but some of his displays lacked effort to say the least, especially in the cup games.
http://www.squawka.com/news/the-questio ... ally/10792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a check of this. The two strikers tend to be a free role and have good off the ball movement. Something I think Hernandez excels at.

:scarfer:
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

After one season?

Behave.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

HammerMan2004 wrote:
Squarka Pellegrini tactics

Have a check of this. The two strikers tend to be a free role and have good off the ball movement. Something I think Hernandez excels at.

:scarfer:
Cheers, very good piece that :thup:

In that case I shall defer any further grumblings and give the Little Pea another go and discreetly return to the topic in question without drawing any attention....Arnautovic he can do one! :wink:
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Top 10 strikers Premier League 2017/18 w/age

Salah - 25
Kane - 24
Agüero - 29
Vardy - 31
Sterling - 23
Lukaku - 25
Firmino - 26
Lacazette - 26
Jesus - 21
Murray - 34

I'm not saying I want to get rid.
The argument though is there, if we reinvest the financial gain.

The buyer being ManUtd means a few millions more.
The player turning 30 soon means no resell value in a few years time (for the buyer) and fewer clubs interested.
Patito

Post by Patito »

He's only just turned 29. I couldn't care less about resale value the bloke is a class player we need him on the pitch scoring goals more than we need the 30/40 million we'd get for him.

We'd have gone down last season if we didn't have him I reckon.
essexguy

Post by essexguy »

Arnie kept us in the premier league. If we hadn't had him we would have been relegated a long time ago.

It would be barmy to sell easily our best player.

Problem is his mentality, it won't take much for him to become unsettled and if he really wants to go to Man Utd then its better let him go than go back to being as he was at Stoke which you didn't know whether he was going to turn up or not.

Anyway we cannot sell for anything less than 50 million.