Javier Hernandez Signs

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Re: Javier Hernandez Signs

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

He was being played on the wing by the last clueless manager. If he's played up top, he'll get goals as long as we give him the ball when he makes runs.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1272 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:He was being played on the wing by the last clueless manager. If he's played up top, he'll get goals as long as we give him the ball when he makes runs.
Fairly sure thus far he's scored more goals playing from the left than he has up top.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

He's been making good runs into the box regardless of where he's been played. Unfortunately, we no longer have a Payet and the supply of quality passes to him are in short supply. Most of his runs are wasted.
S-H
Has liked: 5725 likes
Total likes: 9642 likes

Post by S-H »

Burnley Hammer wrote:He's been making good runs into the box regardless of where he's been played. Unfortunately, we no longer have a Payet and the supply of quality passes to him are in short supply. Most of his runs are wasted.
Definitely Slavs fault then..
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1272 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Burnley Hammer wrote:He's been making good runs into the box regardless of where he's been played. Unfortunately, we no longer have a Payet and the supply of quality passes to him are in short supply. Most of his runs are wasted.
My favourite example of this is this picture:

Antonio is shooting there - through four defenders and about 35 yards out. Look at Chicharito asking for the ball.
Bonus point for spotting Andy Carroll wanting the ball played out wide so it can be crossed to him at the back post.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I agree, its the same for Carroll as well though my argument with him is that he seems to play anywhere but inside the box so it doesn't matter how good the delivery is for him.

Antonio, Ayew, Arnautovic and Masuaku who have all played out wide have at least one thing in common.... they cannot cross a ball!
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

The Gibbins wrote: I agree, its the same for Carroll as well though my argument with him is that he seems to play anywhere but inside the box so it doesn't matter how good the delivery is for him.

Antonio, Ayew, Arnautovic and Masuaku who have all played out wide have at least one thing in common.... they cannot cross a ball!
I'd like to see Hernandez up top with Ayew and Arnautovic on the wings at some point, because that's the top 3 most likely to pass through a defense instead of just lumping in hopeless crosses. The best clubs have realized that just heaving crosses into the box is a really inefficient way to try and score, with those 3 we have players who can do more than loft it in and hope.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The fact that I have had to go back 4 pages to find his thread probably answers this question, but, anyway...

...Was this bloke ever going to make a success of it here? In other words, is there a way of setting up our team that offers to him a chance of getting amongst the chances and the goals?

I note that he barely played under Moyes at Old Trafford.

I am wondering whether he's a striking luxury that the rest of the team/squad cannot incorporate, as much as I'd love to be proved wrong.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Zaza > Chico
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

With his record he should be banging in goals like nobody's business. His brace at Southampton earlier in the season were his hallmark, typical Hernandez goals, but aside from that effort against Spuds I think, that crashed against the underside of the crossbar, he hasn't even come close to even getting into goal scoring positions. He can still do it and should be doing it and will do it with the right service from midfield and with a partner up front. Still think the best we can provide for him is Sakho, and I should like to see that pairing given a go
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

You saw glimpses of it against Stoke

Hernandez working with better passers such as Lanzini, Noble and an inform Arnautovic for example he will blossom, even Carroll if on form provides the hold up play to release him.

Hernandez has so far been playing in large when we have been poor as a team, even last night he finally gets a chance and it’s with a patched up team that can’t pass.

He is a quality striker but needs quality passers
Last edited by MD_HM on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Top goalscorer with 4 PL goals (in a very underachieving team), was injured when Moyes took over and Arnie and Antonio have done well so far. I wouldn't write him off just yet. Still a believer that with our more balanced team and solid at the back he has lots to offer. I personally believe with Arnies power, speed and skill, Lanzni / Masuaku / Noble getting the ball going and Chicharitos movement we will see him bag many a goal more. Look at the Stoke game for example, he got himself in 3 or 4 great positions, the Arsenal game too (he should have won the game for us). He has had better opportunities than anyone else in the team since returning from injury than everyone (bar arnie maybe) because he knows what runs to make. I think over the next 3 games we will see him add to his tally.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 754 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Hernandez is quality and if we ultimately want to start soaring up the table, we need to start making it work with him now. Thus far, I think it's been a bit of both he being underwhelming, and the team-mates around him.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

MD_HM wrote:You saw glimpses of it against Stoke

Hernandez working with better passers such as Lanzini, Noble and an inform Arnautovic for example he will blossom, even Carroll if on form provides the hold up play to release him.

Hernandez has so far been playing in large when we have been poor as a team, even last night he finally gets a chance and it’s with a patched up team that can’t pass.

He is a quality striker but needs quality passers
100%.

Even against Arsenal at home, he was on the pitch for 10 minutes? Two bits of great movement from him (one he unfortunately slipped). The 2nd he got in behind an Arsenal defender and was on the end of a great pass from Noble. Very unlucky he hit the underside of the bar.

He was offered nothing at all last night. Bullied by 2 Arsenal defenders without a decent pass in sight.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

He's never been a West Ham player.

He'll be gone in January or at the end of the season.
stu1
Has liked: 657 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Hernandez needs decent service, it’s that simple.

If he plays in a team that is on the front foot with both Lanzini and Arnoutovic around him I’m sure he’ll score goals.

So far this season he’s played in argueably the worst team in the league, then got injured and is now only just coming back in to a team that now seems to have some confidence in being able to get on the front foot.
Last edited by stu1 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cottee
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 108 likes

Post by Cottee »

Service or not, constantly standing around throwing his arms in the air like a stroppy kid on the school field isn't going to help.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 677 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Cottee wrote:Service or not, constantly standing around throwing his arms in the air like a stroppy kid on the school field isn't going to help.
Well the two are completely linked aren't they. If he gets the service he will thrive. He's throwing his arms around because he is frustrated at not being able to. If he was standing around for 90 minutes not looking interested then fair enough, but he clearly is someone who enjoys doing what he does best and our set up last night was never going to allow him to do that.

Some things that people criticise players for are weird...
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 531 likes
Total likes: 405 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

stu1 wrote:Hernandez needs decent service, it’s thats simple.
It really is this simple. Get him in the box and give him the ball, then watch the net bulge.
Cottee
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 108 likes

Post by Cottee »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Well the two are completely linked aren't they. If he gets the service he will thrive. He's throwing his arms around because he is frustrated at not being able to. If he was standing around for 90 minutes not looking interested then fair enough, but he clearly is someone who enjoys doing what he does best and our set up last night was never going to allow him to do that.

Some things that people criticise players for are weird...
He certainly didn't seem interested at all last night. He can't be immune to criticism just because of the players around him.