Javier Hernandez Signs

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Re: Javier Hernandez Signs

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

[quote="Danny's Dyer Acting"]Check the heat maps. Even if Billic is trying to get them to stick rigidly to certain areas the information available proves they are not doing that.

Because people see what they want to see. There's a sizeable number who (not without reason) feel Billic isn't the man to take the club forwards and when they don't see Hernandez playing like Gary Lineker it's another stick to beat him with. In reality he's been asked to play a slightly different role to what would be ideal and has also been tasked with more responsibility defensively. Should he still be doing the exact same in 5/6 weeks (and results haven't continued to improve) questions should be asked but for now let's wait and see.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Should he still be doing the exact same in 5/6 weeks (and results haven't continued to improve) questions should be asked but for now let's wait and see.
no way carroll stays fit that long, so he'll be ok.

still, playing your best player out of position seems daft to me.
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Can we not just play with Hernandez & Carroll up front together?

Maybe go 3-5-2? :eh: put our two best players in the position they both want to be together? Bilic still gets to employ the 3 at the back as well.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

derek zoolander wrote:Can we not just play with Hernandez & Carroll up front together?

Maybe go 3-5-2? :eh: put our two best players in the position they both want to be together? Bilic still gets to employ the 3 at the back as well.

This. Absolutely this.

The biggest problem with playing Carroll up top on his own is that he gets isolated allowing opposition center backs to double up on him. Putting Hernandez next to him gives him a target for flick ons and more space to win them. Teams will leave at least three players back to mark Hernandez and Carroll.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

derek zoolander wrote:Can we not just play with Hernandez & Carroll up front together?

The problem is with two wing backs you are then left trying to accommodate 3 out of Iron Mike, Obiang, Chiekh, Ayew, Marko, Noble, Lanzini etc

Hernandez would also need to play really as a 10 (sort of what he's doing at the moment in my mind anyway),

the other thing that happens is you lose the press on their full backs (if they are at a 4 at the back), which isn't good
Hammers1993
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Hammers1993 »

Posted this on another thread but seeing as the post was actually about Chicharito and the formation to suit us thought I'd get it in here:

Unfortunately with the players we have available to us it makes things difficult getting them all in the team:

- Antonio (arguably our best attacking player at times, just behind Lanzini)
(Antonio has to play RW/RM as he is wasted at RB/RWB being one of our best attacking players and poor defensively, as has already been proven).

- Lanzini (who's best role is behind the striker(s).

- Arnautovic (our record signing)

- Chicharito (need's a 2nd striker to play alongside)

The only formation that would accomodate these players is this:

--------------------Hart----------------------------
--Zabaleta--Reid--Ogbonna--Masuaku---
-------------------Obiang--------------------------
--Antonio-------Lanzini----------Arnautovic--
--------------Sakho--Chicharito----------------

Man City played that formation at the weekend. (yes we are not Man City, but with the players we have it's the only way it accomdates them to their best roles.

Carroll would be an impact sub around 60 mins for me as him playing just changes the whole gameplan in a way that majority of us do not see as an enjoyable football style (no issue with us playing it if and when needed, but not from the off every game), however him coming on as an impact sub would be extremely useful.

That gives you variation of Lanzini dropping next to Obiang, not ideal but the only way the players listed get in the team to utilize their best capabilities/roles.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

^ we ship enough goals with a back 7, wouldn't reduce it to a back 5!
Patito

Post by Patito »

Hernandez is perfectly capable of playing as a lone striker, he has done it plenty of times. I don't understand why anyone under 6 foot is immediately deemed incapable of playing as a lone striker.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

warp wrote:^ we ship enough goals with a back 7, wouldn't reduce it to a back 5!
Yes. It's a terrible lineup.

It'd only be acceptable to have that on the pitch if you were desperately chasing a deficit fairly late in the game.
spod
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by spod »

I'm really confused about Hernandez coming on as a sub last night and against Cheltenham.
Must be a contractual thing, surely.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

spod wrote:I'm really confused about Hernandez coming on as a sub last night and against Cheltenham.
Must be a contractual thing, surely.
Yes, he is contracted to play football for West Ham United, hence we can play him in matches.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Patito wrote:Hernandez is perfectly capable of playing as a lone striker, he has done it plenty of times. I don't understand why anyone under 6 foot is immediately deemed incapable of playing as a lone striker.
Capable yes. Capable with our current midfield options no. Carroll is basically the number 10 at the moment. Once Lanzini is back then Hernandez is better placed to lead the line but he'll need Lanzini and probably Arnie on the pitch or he'll barely see the ball.
MK Hammer 3

Post by MK Hammer 3 »

[quote="Hammers1993"]...
The only formation that would accomodate these players is this:

--------------------Hart----------------------------
--Zabaleta--Reid--Ogbonna--Masuaku---
-------------------Obiang--------------------------
--Antonio-------Lanzini----------Arnautovic--
--------------Sakho--Chicharito----------------

replace Ogbonna with Rice at the back and we've cracked it.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

So I'm guessing if we had signed Giroud when we were interested in him, he would be playing on the wing instead of Hernandez. Bizarre.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 233 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Somewhat off-topic but something clearly on the player's mind, Chicharito along with Layun have undertaken a relief fund for victims of the Mexico City earthquake.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/09/20/mi ... ns-victims
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I was at Arsenal last night and they lined up with the big man in the middle (Giroud) and Sanchez on the left and Walcott on the right.

It was interesting watching them play. They got the ball to Sanchez at every opportunity or he went looking for the ball. He went outside very few times, cut in or went across the pitch, often played it into Giroud and ran off him for the return. He did very little defensively.

I can't see why it it a problem if Hernandez has to play there at times If we get the ball to him quickly he will have space to run into with the ball, as he is a forward he will know the positions to take up in the box.

We seem to have been moaning for years about players being played out of position on the left. Ironically I thought Snodgrass would finally put that right and that turned out poorly, in my opinion we played him on the wrong side too often..

I cant see why sometimes we can't get a smaller forward to play on the left and do a job and then on other times play him through the middle playing off somebody.

Lanzini seems comfortable doing it but you want your most creative player central most of the time.
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

Why can't he just play arguably one of our best players, track record wise and whatever else, in his best position, something West Ham has been crying out for for years, a decent striker! Headbanger If you want a big lad in a front three, why not use Arno?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The fact Bilic has had to speak to him about the situation tells me there is unrest already from our star striker. I don't blame him either. Slav needs to get this right, and quickly.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:The fact Bilic has had to speak to him about the situation tells me there is unrest already from our star striker. I don't blame him either. Slav needs to get this right, and quickly.
Or, Bilic, who many players have spoken of, having excellent man management skills, pre emptively spoke to him, to ensure he knows this is a temperary measure until the return of Lanzini.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

thejackhammer wrote:
Or, Bilic, who many players have spoken of, having excellent man management skills, pre emptively spoke to him, to ensure he knows this is a temperary measure until the return of Lanzini.
I hope its that straightforward.