Javier Hernandez Signs

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Re: Javier Hernandez Signs

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

can't we say the same though about Arnautovic ?

probably about on the same goal total, probably in and around the salary range

and at least one doesn't have seemed to have thrown a strop - even though the mooted move to Spain never materialised.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Scores Goals!
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

thejackhammer wrote:Maybe he wont be happy to play super sub but would anyone buy him and pay his wages to have him as anything other than that?

I'd have him as super sub/back up with a younger big buy as our main man. Someone like Gomez albeit his form has dropped off.

How about Calleri? Playing every game for the team 5th in La Liga :D
I'd be happy with Mitrovic.

We won't get Calleri - he's off to Barca :wink:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

funky chicken wrote:His wages are a problem really. It wouldn't be bad if he was our best player, let alone number 1 striker. But for me he is no better than a super sub, or someone top play in a front 2.

There would be far less of an issue if he was on say 45-50k a week.
****ing hell, for someone of Hernandez calibre as a 30yo Prem regular, that's a pittance. He should at least be on £100k a week. I'd say he's probably on about £20k a week extra too much, but no way is his value at £45-50k a week in today's market.

And for what it's worth, he is our No. 1 Striker. As good as Arnautovic has been in that position in recent times, mainly the purple patch under Moyes for half a season and sporadically this season, Hernandez is our best and proper Striker who's proved it in that position time and again throughout his career.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

If he wants to stay and is committed like he has been recently then we should keep him as one of three strikers.
arnie is off for around 35m
perez is off 2m
carroll we will release.

that leaves us with Hernandez and two youngsters, silva dju. we will clearly need at least one other quality striker. Gomez has been the target and we must trust pelle there.

Gomez 22, Hernandez 30, and two youngsters plus Antonio if needed will be enough hopefully.

we then need to concentrate on the real weak areas of the team. central midfield and fullbacks.
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

I think Perez and Hernandez will stay.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

Smonnie wrote:I think Perez and Hernandez will stay.
I think you may well be right Smon old chap.

I am in a minority of one that thought he did ok when he came on last Saturday.
Smonnie

Post by Smonnie »

mushy wrote: I am in a minority of one that thought he did ok when he came on last Saturday.
I quite like Perez.

Strikers need time on the pitch. He's actually got a good goals per minute ratio.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Yep, but he's got a miserable boat and a Morrissey hairstyle.

So, booooooooooooo!
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

perez will defo not stay.
we tried to shift him in Jan but were not prepared to fund over 50% of his wages. there'll be more time come the summer and i imagine his agent knows the score by now. thats an out.
i know nothing re Chico or Arnie but would bet one of them is gone come August. If not i think we can forget Gomez.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Started and scored in Mexico's 4-2 victory against Paraguay.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 233 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Fyodor wrote:Started and scored in Mexico's 4-2 victory against Paraguay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa_DvDtp8SQ
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

His league goalscoring rate since signing is quietly superb. It gets obscured by the number of sub appearances so the only way to get a sense of it is by minutes on the pitch.

15 league goals in 2719 mins / the equivalent of 30 games

By way of comparison, Arnautovic's record (who signed at the same time), is:

18 league goals in 3829 mins / the equivalent of 43 games

There's no comparison in terms of what they offer elsewhere on the pitch – Arnautovic has been miles better – but in terms of goalscoring prowess even Arnautovic in a career purple patch can't touch him.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Aceface wrote:His league goalscoring rate since signing is quietly superb. It gets obscured by the number of sub appearances so the only way to get a sense of it is by minutes on the pitch.

15 league goals in 2719 mins / the equivalent of 30 games

By way of comparison, Arnautovic's record (who signed at the same time), is:

18 league goals in 3829 mins / the equivalent of 43 games

There's no comparison in terms of what they offer elsewhere on the pitch – Arnautovic has been miles better – but in terms of goalscoring prowess even Arnautovic in a career purple patch can't touch him.

I've been making the same point on numerous occasions since it became clear we were in for Hernandez till now. It's why I rate him so much because he's so clinical scoring with fewer chances and at a higher ratio with limited time on the pitch compared to others in the League. The problem hasn't been him playing, it's always been that he hasn't played enough and why he gets the hump so much. Play him regularly as Mexico do then you'll get a much better scoring record than he already impressively does.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Fyodor wrote:Started and scored in Mexico's 4-2 victory against Paraguay.
So that's 52 Prem, 51 inters.

Decent numbers
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Only Callum Wilson has more goals and assists per minutes than Hernandez outside of the top 6 this season
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

prophet:marginal wrote:

So that's 52 Prem, 51 inters.

Decent numbers
If you include his goals from the other leagues he's played in, as well those from cup competitions, his career tally is 203.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

If you look at the ratio of goals:shots then Hernandez has always been strong - just under 1 in 3. Arnautovic is 1 in 5 - but tends to take more shots than Hernandez. Wilson, FWIW, is historically 1 in 5 but has been 1 in 4 this season.

I don’t think you’d get many people saying they’d take Arnautovic over Hernandez as a pure finisher (or Wilson for that matter). The debate is much more about other impacts - how the team plays, building pressure by holding the ball up and bringing others into play, number of goals conceded.

I’m definitely of the view that we shouldn’t ditch our whole attacking line in the summer because I think it’s risky. I’d look to keep one of Arnautovic and Hernandez. If you’d have asked me before Huddersfield it would have been to keep Arnautovic, now i’m less sure and probably 50:50. One thing that does bother me about Hernandez though is that we’re effectively paying our highest wage to someone who has scored a lot of their goals as a super sub. That’s not sustainable, and also potentially an issue for squad harmony.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

hammer1975 wrote: We’re effectively paying our highest wage to someone who has scored a lot of their goals as a super sub. That’s not sustainable, and also potentially an issue for squad harmony.
I suspect your last point is on the money but I'd probably dispute the former – I don't think having Hernandez on that wage is unsustainable. Primarily because it's a contract that ends (I think) in another year, rather than several seasons down the track when his legs have long gone. I think if someone finishes the season on or around 10 goals – which at his current rate is a probability – you retain them in those circumstances.

That's not to say we definitely should retain him, just that I don't think a final year on those wages is that hard to bear, perma-sub or not. Replacing goals gets expensive.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Fair point Aceface :thup: