Javier Hernandez Signs

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Re: Javier Hernandez Signs

Post by DannyboyDJL »

He got himself into a great position yesterday after the Antonio run in the first half. He'd pulled away on his own between the full back and centre back. Just needed Antonio to roll it to his feet and he was in on goal, but Antonio shot.

Hopefully when Lanzini is back, he will see those passes. Carroll and Antonio aren't exactly the brightest on the ball.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

only1post wrote:one touch inside the box yesterday.
Anyone get the feeling we should be using our new star striker slightly differently?
My guess is that he will start up top v Spurs, though Carroll may well be back for Swansea.

Carroll was required to play over Huddersfield's press and to give us presence against WBA's set plays.

The manager needs to pick the right team for each game. Sometimes, that means Carroll.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Quite a few people before the game said West Brom would be able to handle Andy.
Evans getting a few man of the match awards would seem to confirm they were right.
We needed a bit of guile to open them up, a bit like young Ibe did for Bournemouth the night before.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

They way our squad is at the moment it appears 3-4-3 suits the defence but 4-4-2 suits the attack. This is what happens when owners stick their beak in to transfer dealings.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2942 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

carnage wrote:They way our squad is at the moment it appears 3-4-3 suits the defence but 4-4-2 suits the attack. This is what happens when owners stick their beak in to transfer dealings.
Nearly Carnage, nearly .

Try 3-5-2 .

A few fans favourites would miss out mind you .Not mine though .
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

carnage wrote:They way our squad is at the moment it appears 3-4-3 suits the defence but 4-4-2 suits the attack. This is what happens when owners stick their beak in to transfer dealings.
I'd say we were recruiting for a 4231, but the point is the same. The board, at best, only half completed the job by faffing about with half arsed offers while other options get snapped up by other clubs. At worst they deliberately misled the manager and fans in order to undermine him.

Now we are left with a formation where we cannot fit all of our three last big signings! Only at West Ham!
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Hernandez and Carroll should be able to play up front as a pair. Starting centrally, Javier doesn't need to run any wider than the width of the 18th Yard box.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The league is more defensive this year.

As the table stands, we've played five top half teams and none of the strugglers.

If I've counted correctly, our five opponents to date have kept 12 clean sheets in 19 games so far, discounting the games we played against them.
Thedogsbilic

Post by Thedogsbilic »

DannyboyDJL wrote:He got himself into a great position yesterday after the Antonio run in the first half. He'd pulled away on his own between the full back and centre back. Just needed Antonio to roll it to his feet and he was in on goal, but Antonio shot.
Same happened 2nd half when Obiang ballooned one over the bar when a simple 5 yard pass would've put Hernandez in.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Bilic - "Work the left side son"......"We'll pretend you're playing up front for appearances sake".........

The new Enner Valencia......Image
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

I was at Anoeta in San Sebastian last night watching Real Sociedad - Real Madrid in a brilliantly intense match with a bucket load of chances, saves, goals and shots.

All the forward players in the two clubs' front threes effortlessly interchanged positions, moving from right to left to centre, thus unsettling the opposition defence. And the subs who came on did the same.There are plenty of teams (big and small) that do exactly that - Betis, Barca, Bayern Munich, Man City - even my son's U-18 team. It's not rocket science, really

The question isn't where the players start or end up playing, it's how they use their football intelligence to constantly switch positions.

Is it that the players aren't up to making runs, interchanging positions, moving wide, moving centre? (doubt it) or is Bilic insisting on them staying "left, right and centre"? Trust the forward players to make runs and compensate for each other - all sorts of players all over the world do that, and they don't have to complain about being stuck out wide. Ask Luis Suarez where he plays for Barcelona

The quality of our front players is good enough for them to be more fluid in their positions and the team would benefit from them doing so. Javier Hernandez might be on the left at the kick off, with Antonio in the right and AC in the centre - but they don't have to spend the whole match in those positions.

Unless Bilic is making them do so
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Check the heat maps. Even if Billic is trying to get them to stick rigidly to certain areas the information available proves they are not doing that.

Cheech vs. Hudds - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Antonio vs. Hudds - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheech vs. WBA - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Antonio vs. WBA - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Phillips in a much more rigid Pulis formation for comparison - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Check the heat maps. Even if Billic is trying to get them to stick rigidly to certain areas the information available proves they are not doing that.
If that's true and they ARE interchanging positions as they should, then why is everyone complaining about Chicharito being stuck out left?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

libero wrote: If that's true and they ARE interchanging positions as they should, then why is everyone complaining about Chicharito being stuck out left?
Because people desperately need something to complain about. The hero centre-forward is not scoring two goals a game and it must be Bilic's fault.

(Despite him scoring two goals from left wing against Southampton)
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

libero wrote:If that's true and they ARE interchanging positions as they should, then why is everyone complaining about Chicharito being stuck out left?
i think hernandez is principally suffering from being more comfortable with the ball at his feet than most of our midfield. he's a poacher by trade, but he's got a much better understanding of the game than those who should be dictating it.

vs. west brom he'd frequently he'd have four other players around him in attack, those being carroll, antonio, cresswell and kouyate. all very effective players but i'd be surprised if their combined football IQ matched one lanzini.

we'll see the best out of him when manu is fit and firing.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

HammerMan2004 wrote:
(Despite him scoring two goals from left wing against Southampton)
Did he really play left wing against them ? I thought he was up front on his own with Ayew pushed out wide after Arnie was sent off
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Hammersfaniow wrote: Did he really play left wing against them ? I thought he was up front on his own with Ayew pushed out wide after Arnie was sent off
He went wide with Antonio up top to try and hold the ball up. He actually played more left-wing than he's been asked to do lately. There were times where he was deeper than our fullback trying to help defend. Bilic even referenced the job he had to do after the game, praised his professionalism.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

libero wrote:Is it that the players aren't up to making runs, interchanging positions, moving wide, moving centre? (doubt it) or is Bilic insisting on them staying "left, right and centre"? Trust the forward players to make runs and compensate for each other - all sorts of players all over the world do that, and they don't have to complain about being stuck out wide. Ask Luis Suarez where he plays for Barcelona
i'm sure he'd bite!
i don't mind hernandez to the left of carroll or to his right, i have a problem with hernandez being in our half of the pitch.

libero wrote:The quality of our front players is good enough for them to be more fluid in their positions and the team would benefit from them doing so.
i agree in principle, but it seems they have enough problems already having to play one role, i'm not sure i trust them to be more independent, may end up an even bigger clusterfuck.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Check the heat maps. Even if Billic is trying to get them to stick rigidly to certain areas the information available proves they are not doing that.

Cheech vs. Hudds - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Antonio vs. Hudds - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheech vs. WBA - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Antonio vs. WBA - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Phillips in a much more rigid Pulis formation for comparison - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
These maps are a bit misleading because a) Bilic has asked them to switch sides during games and indeed with Carroll, all switching it up to confuse the opposition. Its practically the 3 cup and ball trick, it's just missing the chances created they need to put them away. The signs are good though.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

HammerMan2004 wrote:
He went wide with Antonio up top to try and hold the ball up. He actually played more left-wing than he's been asked to do lately. There were times where he was deeper than our fullback trying to help defend. Bilic even referenced the job he had to do after the game, praised his professionalism.
Fair play, I genuinely couldn't remember. If he scored 2 from out there then, imagine he'd score a few more from his proper position :thup: