League Cup Draw-Cheltenham Town Home(but away)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

League Cup Draw-Cheltenham Town Home(but away)

Postby Pop Robson on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:48 am

Alas was about to post and wonder what will happen and saw this from bubbles500 in the OS thread

bubbles500 wrote:West Ham News @WHUFC_News
·
28s
The Football League have agreed that West Ham will play away in Carabao Cup second-round, due to the World Athletics Championship.

[Mail]

What a farce
Pop Robson

Re: League Cup Draw this week

Postby sanchoz on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:56 am

If true (only say that as I've not seen it confirmed anywhere by WHUFC or the EFL) it does not matter if you like the stadium in Stratford or not. If you like David Gold, David Sullivan and Karen Brady or not. If you still have misgivings about the stadium move or you just want to"get on with it". Take this next sentence in isolation from any emotion or sentiment:

WHUFC have asked for a cup game to be played away.

You can say its a one off and it is what it is. We have gotten ourselves into a position where this has had to have been asked in the first place and its just another brick in the wall. The away season ticket holders should see an offer of discounted tickets/travel for this one in my opinion.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby NorthBankAlliance on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:03 am

Give me any away trip over a game at the cesspit anyway tbf.

85% wanted the move, 52,000 renewed as well, they're getting exactly what they desvere...
NorthBankAlliance

Postby Big George on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:14 am

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... m-decision

"The most important thing is that we have primacy for our fixtures - that is a requisite for having permission to move from the Premier League and the Football League, which we have.

:?
Big George

Postby danm79 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:26 am

Big George wrote:https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2013/march/22-march/board-welcome-stadium-decision" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The most important thing is that we have primacy for our fixtures - that is a requisite for having permission to move from the Premier League and the Football League, which we have.
:?

As much as I am not keen on the stadium and Brady I believe that all along we knew and they made us aware of the situation this year.

Personally very happy with all away games in August.
danm79

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:58 am

No idea how anyone can be happy about this .Ok "Hopefully" this is a one off.But sure there was talk of para Olympic being permanently staged at LS.Anyway in reality this is our best/only chance of silverware all season with top 6 playing weakened sides.But we will already be on back foot with an away draw.Hopefully we get a league 2 team to negate that fact.Be nice to have a cup run.
bubbles500

Postby bobd_uk on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:59 am

Pretty disgraceful that this has been allowed to happen. Even setting aside our problems, this could cost our opposition a load of money as they would have been entitled to a chunk of the gate receipts had we been drawn at home.
bobd_uk

Postby Captain Slaphead on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 am

sanchoz wrote:The away season ticket holders should see an offer of discounted tickets/travel for this one in my opinion.

Excellent idea.
Chances of it happening ? -- somewhere between Bob Hope & no hope.

This is the regime that have made home Cup games mandatory (no refunds) for AST's.

Taken for granted & milked for every last penny (witness the AST Booking Fee shambles)
Captain Slaphead

Postby Iron George on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:12 am

bubbles500 wrote:No idea how anyone can be happy about this .Ok "Hopefully" this is a one off.But sure there was talk of para Olympic being permanently staged at LS.Anyway in reality this is our best/only chance of silverware all season with top 6 playing weakened sides.But we will already be on back foot with an away draw.Hopefully we get a league 2 team to negate that fact.Be nice to have a cup run.

Be nice to think drawing a League 2 side would be of benefit, even if it is away.

Sadly you only have to look at the numerous lower league sides to have knocked us out of either cup over the years to know, that for West Ham United, drawing a lower league side is of no benefit at all.
Iron George

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:18 am

bobd_uk wrote:Pretty disgraceful that this has been allowed to happen. Even setting aside our problems, this could cost our opposition a load of money as they would have been entitled to a chunk of the gate receipts had we been drawn at home.

Yeah didn't think of that .Would a lg 1 or 2 make more from game at us than a home tie.Not sure.But if it's actually drawn as a home tie for us ,and they financially lose out id imagine some kind of compensation claim as for some clubs it would be a massive pay day for them.
bubbles500

Postby Kialos on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:13 pm

danm79 wrote:
As much as I am not keen on the stadium and Brady I believe that all along we knew and they made us aware of the situation this year.

Personally very happy with all away games in August.

You have got a statement there in black and white from the managing director that is clearly at odds with reality and you seem to be excusing it. I believe it is only within the last few months the club have made official comment on the PL fixtures being away from home, I'm not aware of any official comment on the cup. Of course people would have known using their own judgement knowing that with the athletics taking place it would be impossible to play at home but the club's failure to come out and admit it until the last moment is indicative of the underlying lack of integrity. As someone who has been to over 90 football grounds I place being treated with respect above any personal ground ticking exercise.

I would also suggest that for many people, 4 away games on the trot is a significant financial and time commitment. It is a pity that the club have done nothing to acknowledge that.
Kialos

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Watch this thread get spun into a story on the official site

supporters desperate to return to the London stadium*

* click here for tickets
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:25 pm

It is bad enough we have to compromise our league start with three away games but this takes the piss

We have two chances to win a trophy and we are making it more difficult than it needs to be in one of them

Disgrace tbf
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:32 pm

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Give me any away trip over a game at the cesspit anyway tbf.

85% wanted the move, 52,000 renewed as well, they're getting exactly what they desvere...

Yeah, such a good away team, ain't we ?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby danm79 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Kialos wrote:
You have got a statement there in black and white from the managing director that is clearly at odds with reality and you seem to be excusing it. I believe it is only within the last few months the club have made official comment on the PL fixtures being away from home, I'm not aware of any official comment on the cup. Of course people would have known using their own judgement knowing that with the athletics taking place it would be impossible to play at home but the club's failure to come out and admit it until the last moment is indicative of the underlying lack of integrity. As someone who has been to over 90 football grounds I place being treated with respect above any personal ground ticking exercise.

I would also suggest that for many people, 4 away games on the trot is a significant financial and time commitment. It is a pity that the club have done nothing to acknowledge that.

Not excusing, just saying from memory think there is more context to it. I am sure that statement was made with us knowing the situation this year, maybe even on the back on the situation this year but I maybe wrong.

Not sure I agree of the 4 away games, not heard people moaning about December and the 4 away games (remembering it could only be Southampton that is moved) actually would guess if we get to the Carabao Cup Round Five and get an away draw (making it 5 aways in 28 days) people will be desperate for tickets.
danm79

Postby hammerleroy on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:47 pm

If we get bloody Luton I'm leaving the country 'til the locals forget about it. Five ex-Hammers on the field today!!! :lol:
hammerleroy

Postby e17 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Hope we get Brentford as Griffin Park is walking distance for me
e17

Postby Up the Junction on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:03 pm

DS was talking recently about wanting to win every competition we enter.

Being forced to play away from home probably isn't the best way to go about achieving that.

Karren's charge sheet of lies and deceit continues to grow.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Aztec Hammer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:08 pm

This is as disgraceful as it gets.

Absolutely despicable.
Aztec Hammer

Postby Roby on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm not too bothered with the three opening away games in a row but this is now ridiculous.

We haven't won a cup since 1980 and due to our owner's stupidity and weak negotiation skills we are now being forced to play a knock out Cup game away.

They better hope we don't get knocked out in this round.
Roby

Next

Return to General Discussion