Media Obsession with Big Clubs, Superstars and Top Leagues

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Media Obsession with Big Clubs, Superstars and Top Leagues

Postby EastBrisHammer on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:00 pm

BBC Football website about sums it up for me today,

Celtic stuff Hearts.
Burnley game called off because of crowd trouble.
Trippier injury scare...really is that even news.
Spurs and Liverpool finish pre-season friendlies with wins.
Terry and Villa...blah, blah, blah
Swansea hit four against Sampdoria
Community Bore Shield Preview
Neymar promises something
Another Neymar story
Wolves beat Boro...oh hang on...was that a friendly...oh, the Football League kicked off today...you would never have guessed it.

The BBC should have had stuff about the Football League as their headline along with some blurb about the major results and upsets. Then a summary of Scottish football. The Neymar and preseason stuff should be right at the bottom. There are a surprising number of fans who support non-Premiership football clubs (we should know we have been there a few times) and they should start acknowledging them especially on a day when the Premiership hasn't even started. I find it all leaves a bad taste in my mouth and reminds me why I hate modern football so much (but still love West Ham).
EastBrisHammer

Re: Media Obsession with Big Clubs, Superstars and Top Leagues

Postby fmgod on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Luton won 8-2 after being 1-0 down is the biggest story of the day
fmgod

Postby StevePottsGoalsReel on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Agree with you generally, but Villa-Hull is the second story on the football pages at the moment. That that :thdn: Terry is mentioned in the headline is irritating but they've clearly chosen it as their lead Championship story.

And although it's a friendly the Burnley-Hannover abandonment is a proper news story that has to be covered significantly. No doubt it would have been top of the entire sports section if a different team in claret and blue had been involved!
StevePottsGoalsReel

Postby fjthegrey on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:58 pm

It only reflects the audience it serves. Most people only care for the elite level glamour, and they only fleetingly care for that. Your interest in lower leagues is in the decreasing minority.
fjthegrey

Postby Jumby on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:10 am

I like how BBC sport appeared to have SPL coverage and updates over the Championship, suggesting that bullish!t joke of a league is more important :lol:
Jumby

Postby trevshead10may1980 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:56 am

It is worse here in the US. The football programme on ESPN, ESPN FC, goes on endlessly about Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. The Hammers rarely get a mention and when they do it is usually negative.
trevshead10may1980

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:12 am

^^^
Take out Real and Barcelona, add Spurs and that's MOTD.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:39 am

News website in "prioritising stories that most people are interested in" shocker
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Denzil on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:27 am

I have a very limited interest in any league West Ham are not in. The Neymar deal is one of the biggest transfers in history so I doubt they'll put that at the bottom of the page.

I don't get why so many people (not aiming this purely at the OP btw) get in a state about certain media outlets preferring the 'big' clubs. It doesn't faze me at all when they talk about them or give them a little more coverage. The only genuine annoyance I have is with MOTD sometimes when they show a clearly less interesting game first purely for having one of the bigger sides playing. Again though, the public would probably rather watch Man City v Chelsea than us v Stoke.
Denzil

Postby EastBrisHammer on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:News website in "prioritising stories that most people are interested in" shocker

I think they put up the stories that they think people are interested in. I know a lot of friends who moan about the media, not just sport but in general. Too much emphasis on celebrities, Brexit, global brand football teams, etc. My old man is a QPR fan (bless him, he never took me to games so I defected thanks to someone taking me to West Ham) and I have lots of Bristol City and Rovers friends. They never look at BBC Football these days (even the ones with Liverpool or Man Utd as their second clubs).

Rehashed stories about the Neymar transfer gets boring fast. The initial story was interesting but they flog it to death. It was the same with Wayne Rooney to Everton.

I know Villa-Hull was the second story with an awful headline but it was the first day of the season - surely that deserved a headline in itself with a round up of the major results. No one used to care about friendlies, especially of other teams, and now that is making headlines.

I just get fed up of having rubbish fed to me on sports and news sites. When interesting stories come up it really is refreshing. I know I shouldn't read them but I need something to do at work. :wink:
EastBrisHammer

Postby Up the Junction on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:16 pm

EastBrisHammer wrote:Neymar promises something
Another Neymar story

I thought this was just another jolly for Richard Conway at the taxpayer's expense...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby sendô on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:07 pm

The public gets what the public wants.
sendô

Postby AnthraxDave on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:29 pm

And I want nothing this society's got.
AnthraxDave

Postby e17 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:43 pm

EastBrisHammer wrote:The BBC should have had stuff about the Football League as their headline along with some blurb about the major results and upsets. Then a summary of Scottish football.

Why? There's more supporters and users who support Rangers or Celtic than support Burton or Brentford, and it is the British Broadcasting Corporation.
e17

Postby EastBrisHammer on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:13 pm

e17 wrote:There's more supporters and users who support Rangers or Celtic than support Burton or Brentford, and it is the British Broadcasting Corporation.

I may be wrong but I imagine there are more people supporting the clubs in the Championship, League One and Two than there are supporting all the Scottish clubs. It shouldn't just be about big name clubs as per my original post.
EastBrisHammer

Postby James P on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:29 pm

As long as there's content there and it's easy enough to find does it really matter what order it appears on the website?
James P

Postby kayahammer on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 am

Go to Google, type in West Ham news, and sit back imagining we're the only club worth media time on the net.

Easy :wink:
kayahammer

Postby Big George on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:37 am

FIFA, video games, Sky.

There are more Barca. Real, Juve kits at my son's football in east London than EPL kits.

West Ham most popular English kit though :thup:
Big George

Postby Colours never run on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Not quite the thread but didn't know where to put this to have a smirk at the 'big' club, 'little' club debate ...

West Ham vs Juventus at OS - 56,000 (sell out)

Spurs vs Juventus at Wembley - 26,000

We really do have the best fans in the land, whilst fed on footballing scraps by comparison.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby e17 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Colours never run wrote:Not quite the thread but didn't know where to put this to have a smirk at the 'big' club, 'little' club debate ...

West Ham vs Juventus at OS - 56,000 (sell out)

Spurs vs Juventus at Wembley - 26,000

We really do have the best fans in the land, whilst fed on footballing scraps by comparison.

A couple of my in-laws who are lifelong Spurs STHs are genuinely concerned that they'll be bottom half this season, purely down to how much they've hated their previous home games at Wembley

Both of them wished it had been an OS ground share. Glad it wasn't & hope they're right. Would be great!
e17

Next

Return to General Discussion