Relegation Thread 2017/18

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Relegation Thread 2017/18

Postby TootingRob on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:58 pm

So the season has started and after the first Saturday of the season Huddersfield Town are sitting top of the league. I've just made my league table predictions and thought I'd start the thread on the first weekend to see how our predictions are going to change over the next nine months. So long before the end of the summer transfer window closes my predictions are
Swansea, Huddersfield and Brighton.
Hope Im wrong and Brighton and Huddersfield stay up, would be magic to get rid of the Welsh team, Spurs and Liverpool
TootingRob

Re: Relegation Thread 2017/18

Postby poplargeezer on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm a pessimist - us, Swansea and Brighton
poplargeezer

Postby TheHandOfDog on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Swansea, Brighton and Burnley. I'll stick with that, even with Burnley's opening result. If not Burnley then I reckon a shock, maybe Bournemouth, Us or Stoke. Watford looked good today against Liverpool. Palace also in that shock list.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Beavis Danzig on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 pm

would palace be a shock? reckon it might just be their time.
Beavis Danzig

Postby only1post on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 pm

When the first Chairman starts to worry Big Sam would have just turned 63.
Time for one last swansong.
only1post

Postby Thekorean on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:26 pm

I can see Stoke going down. I feel like they have not done enough during the offseason to improve the squad.
Thekorean

Postby DDHammer on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:29 pm

Even with an injury crisis i can't see us going down, I reckon it's 3 from Brighton, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Stoke, Palace and Swansea. Stoke, Palace and Swansea are yet to strengthen, all 3 clubs should have £50m to spend minimum but it's baffling they've left it so late, if Swansea lose Sigurdsson they are nailed on.
DDHammer

Postby Thekorean on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Won't shed a tear if Stoke goes down.

Their fans absiolutely hate us.

In Payet saga I never blamed Marseille.
Thekorean

Postby Hawaiian hammer on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:10 am

Newcastle, Brighton and Swansea.
Hawaiian hammer

Postby traxop on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:32 am

From the games already played this weekend. Burnley will be a prime candidate. They were unable to see out the game with their man advantage - and after what I would expect was a bollocking from Conte at half time - proceeded to get dominated by Chelsea in the second half. Conceding a goal against 10, and another against 9 shouldn't have been on the cards.

Huddersfield did look good. I'm not sure if it was because Palace are struggling to adapt to De Boer's new style or something else.

From a performance point of view, Leicester may be the surprise candidate as the team that will struggle this season. It wasn't a case of heroic defence, punctuated by burst of counter-attacking football. They were dominated from start to finish. 6 shots total, 3 goals from the 3 on target, and even those goals came from defensive mistakes from Arsenal. Arsenal had a lot of chances, and I reckon the game could have produced 10 goals if not for Schmeichel, whom I thought was impressive.
traxop

Postby Sir_Trevor on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 am

Thekorean wrote:Won't shed a tear if Stoke goes down.

Are you suggesting that it was Stoke's fault? :eh:
Sir_Trevor

Postby djbubbles on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 am

Stoke.
Brighton.
Newcastle
djbubbles

Postby ballantine on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:24 am

Thekorean wrote:Won't shed a tear if Stoke goes down.

Sir_Trevor wrote:Are you suggesting that it was Stoke's fault? :eh:

I think Thekorean is saying Stoke hates us because of Arnautovic. But that's unfair, as they should rather turn their hatred towards Arnautovic himself. Like Thekorean hated Payet and not Marseille back then.

But i might be wrong. I was never any good at poetry analysis.

Oh, and Huddersield, Brighton and Watford to go down.
ballantine

Postby hammers92 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:32 am

I also think Stoke are in a bit of trouble, they don't seem to have added anyone noteworthy to their squad and a 54 year old Crouch is still their back up striker. Couple of injuries will ruin them.
hammers92

Postby prophet:marginal on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:03 pm

This is a season which I feel may echo the last - an almost breakaway top 7, with 13 other also ran teams. These numbers could be 8 /12, for sure, but my point - that there are at least a dozen 'much of a muchness' teams in the division, who, in the August sunshine might look good (unless they play in SE25 :D ), but will have reality catch up with them, once they have to replace an injured top performer with a kid from the academy, or a square peg in hole re-shaping exercise.

However, having said that, the three teams promoted last May will surely be amongst the relegated trio 12 months later. My guess here is that, if he stays in place, Benitez and the remnants of NUFC's playing staff who are also ran level will do enough to probably finish 9-14th - i.e. dice with danger occasionally, but never go repeatedly from one game to the next in search of a point.

Its repeated losses, and the obvious depletion into a heavy negative of the g/d, that send down a team.

So, if not the Barcodes, its one of the others.

However, there are several teams, even if you leave us out of the equation, in yer C&B specs (?), whose 'turn' it could just be this season. Palace were re-modelled by Sam The Survivor to just about manage to stay up. Giving his role to a novice is possibly a big mistake. It certainly looked as if his expensive team were pretty unsure about their new roles last night (on MotD) and a mate's son told me after being at the game that, at times, The Terriers were moving through their midfield as if Palace were not able to catch them, still less win the ball. That scoreline was no fluke.

Then you have Watford, whose method of repeatedly changing coach will one day bite them back badly. Don't get me wrong; Silva seems a capable and well-researched coach, but they churn their squad to regularly for me and could end up regretting it this term.

Swansea, too, did a West Ham under Zola (2nd season). They stayed up because 2 of the relegated teams were simply not fit for purpose and the 3rd couldn't adapt to score goals, despite a routinely capable defence.

So, my likely bottom 5 will include 2 x promoted teams and those named above, with Stoke and maybe even us not far off. I try to look on our efforts in the window this summer objectively and, if we keep our new signings fit, there is a chance of top half. We still however, to my mind, have a barely credible set of alternatives, before the old 'square pegs' problem re-emerges...and that's if (and only if) we actually get to the end of the window without selling off one of our best players.

Fingers crossed, and all that.

The p:m bottom three

Swansea
Watford
Brighton.
prophet:marginal

Postby bubbles500 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Agree there's 7 top teams that will be a mile clear and the rest.Its hard to see Leicester or Southampton getting involved.As long as we have no major fitness disasters we should be fine.Then I'd say any of the other 10 could go and wouldn't be surprised.
bubbles500

Postby ToiletDuck on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:40 pm

I think stoke could be in trouble. Not a great end to last season and a stricker in Berahino that hasnt scored yet.

I would like to see all the promoted teams stop up (but not at our expense)

Swansea could have a very tough season this year but i do trust Clement

As for the Nigels well i applaud De Boer to try and get then playing like Ajax but its BFS players and i cant see it happening
ToiletDuck

Postby fmgod on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm

I think Stoke depends on when they sack Hughes as they haven't that bad of team but his been taking them down for the last 12 months, also spunked big money that have done nothing Beharino, Imbula, Shaqiri,
fmgod

Postby Thekorean on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:57 pm

ballantine wrote:I think Thekorean is saying Stoke hates us because of Arnautovic. But that's unfair, as they should rather turn their hatred towards Arnautovic himself. Like Thekorean hated Payet and not Marseille back then.

But i might be wrong. I was never any good at poetry analysis.

Oh, and Huddersield, Brighton and Watford to go down.

You are correct.
Thekorean

Postby Chrissieboy on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Newcastle, Palace and us. I can feel it when we are about to **** up. False optimism is generally the biggest indicator. Chicharito to go on strike, get injured or hit by lightning. This defence looks like a relegation defence to me most of all. Big egos but no real leaders and a crap manager. The Championship will be a laugh and I look forward to seeing the stadium half empty and no tourists about :P
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks

Next

Return to General Discussion