Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote:To me, there isn't even a debate about Rice's best position - his every attribute in terms of technique and physicality points to holding/screening midfielder, not centre half (unless as the smallest in a back 3).

The comparison to Garry Barry is a very good one.
I'm not so sure. He looked decent on Sunday, but I reckon this Saturday may give us a better idea as to his capabilities currently.

At the moment I wouldn't play him at CB due to his youth - youngsters tend to make poorer decisions - but I have a feeling by the time he's 23 he may be featuring in our backline.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

I think i go with the holding midfield role for Rice.

He has a presence about him, good passer, has quick feet and is growing into a leader. Reminds me of a young Matic as he is like a spider, who can get everywhere and stop the ball getting through.

He can also slot into the centre defence when we are under attack or with crosses coming in, plus to cover for Diop or Rocky when they are pulled out of position.

As a young player, i would prefer him in the midfield though, so if a mistake is made, he is covered.

The other question is....do we take him for England, or should he stay with the Irish?...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

He's switched on. It's his best attribute and the one most necessary for playing that position.

And for selfish reasons as a proud Englishman I want him in the England set up. I hope he feels the same way although a very difficult decision for him to ultimately make.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I’m just confused as to why he initially declared for Ireland so young in the first place. Had he not he’d be in the u19/u21 certainly.

So why did he feel the need to declare for Ireland unless he wanted to, and if he wanted to what has made him potentially change his mind?
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Would like to see him given an extended run in the DM position.

When fit we have 4 perfectly decent centre backs, and as MP seems intent on sticking with a back 4 this is plenty.

Nobody else looks convincing in the DM role, I'm not having Sanchez as a Premier League standard player at all. Let Rice play the same position regularly rather than chopping and changing, and I can only see him getting better and better.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

As an Ireland player since he was 16, i just think the England Youth set up, just missed a trick.

They are too busy watching the top six clubs youth teams that they now realise what a talent the boy is.

And when you notice that there is a huge gap in talented defensive English midfielders, that even Dier gets a game in that position, then England need to investigate any potentials.

It's his choice ultimately and as long as he puts his heart into England (if he chose's them) then so be it.

I have Irish roots but being born and bred in England, i would always pick England over any other country. I would always expect someone to play for the country of their birth and bred, but it does depend on personal situations.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

I think you're right Doyley, on TS the other day they were talking about the lad at Arsenal now playing for Wales, apparently the manager of the club he was purchased from phoned the FA to tell them about him, and was told that had a load of players in that position and he only took a couple of touches, so they weren't interested.

Ridiculous..
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

With the influence that agents have over players, the last thing the fans want is hugh mong peice sticking his beak in and antagonising the situation.
Clearly been asked to do the boards work again to get the stalemate moving.
see link to claret&hugh if you wish !

https://www.claretandhugh.info/rice-leg ... ys-silent/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Just wondering, but if nobody clicked on Mouthon's site, perhaps it would just go away?
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Old Sully just cant help himself can he?
Its the players/agents fault he hasn't signed a deal.
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

Graza wrote:He looks a bit more Rio like to me, can read the game make a tackle and comfortable on the ball. Sadly he doesn't look as good as Rio at any of those things but that doesn't mean he's bad at then, Rio was one of the best in the league for a decade.
I loved Rio, but when he first broke in the team and had a few games at defensive mid, he always looked for my money like a CB playing there. I agree that Declan's no Rio at the back (yet?) but also with others' comments that he looks more like Carrick in midfield. Class.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Doyley72 wrote:I think i go with the holding midfield role for Rice.

He has a presence about him, good passer, has quick feet and is growing into a leader. Reminds me of a young Matic as he is like a spider, who can get everywhere and stop the ball getting through.

He can also slot into the centre defence when we are under attack or with crosses coming in, plus to cover for Diop or Rocky when they are pulled out of position.

As a young player, i would prefer him in the midfield though, so if a mistake is made, he is covered.

The other question is....do we take him for England, or should he stay with the Irish?...
I agree wholeheartedly. I prefer him in the DM role anyways and as has been mentioned, he would actually be an asset helping the back out when required too. This will work both ways for cover.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

For me, its a lot harder to find a proper holding midfielder than it is to find a proper centre half, so I'd like to see him continue in midfield and make the position his own. Handy if he can cover CB too.

If he turns out half as good as he should, he's the holding midfielder England have been missing for years and we might finally see the back of Eric ****ing Dire...
rciron
Has liked: 298 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

prophet:marginal wrote:Just wondering, but if nobody clicked on Mouthon's site, perhaps it would just go away?
:thup:
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Bit late but a couple of my mates who work for Everton on the coaching side were raving off Rice at the weekend. Said it was as good as anything they'd seen for a kid that age in a long time. Keep going Declan boy!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

had to watch the game on a delay...thought Rice was outstanding..

C & H raving about Obiang's 36 touches, and 86% but Rice had 55 touches with 83%.

More mind boggling to me is:

Masuaku with 62 touches and a 91%..

I thought Rice was the MotM...

:?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I thought Rice and Obiang were equally good and either one allowed the other to play better (if that makes sense). I tend to agree with Tony Gale that long-term, Centre-back may be his best position, but for the next 4 or 5 years he should be a nailed down starter for that defensive midfielder role.

I think what a lot of people do forget with Rice as well that he hasn't actually played in that role all that much. He's still learning the ropes and needs players like Obiang and Noble alongside him. I'm always worried about being too optimistic about young players, but Rice does look very, very assured for his age.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

TTS

he has a lot of Noble-esuqe qualities..not blessed with blinding pace, but reads the game well..

the main attribute on watching the Everton game later is not being bound by nail biting, sphincter squeezing in-game play, he kept the ball moving a lot without slowing the game down. He was pointing and directing the game to team mates and to be honest, if he only has the career than Noble has, that Shirley won't be a bad thing ?
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I hope the board don't piss him and his agent off to the point where they just decide to run his contract down. Young British players of great promise will find many bidders and many making overtures. If it's £40k he wants, someone will give it to him, and more besides. I think he's done enough now.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

You can see why England are interested: clearly good with the game in front of him and wants to move it on with either foot. Suits Southgate’s back three or a sitter in a midfield two.

He’s certainly far better than Coady at Wolves, and people seem to like him. Personally think he’s (Coady) a limited defender