Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Declan Rice

Post by Colours never run »

Does anyone else share my view that we may have a real find on our hands?

The brief times I've seen him play, he appears to be a very composed, mature and assured lad of his age. He looks comfortable where ever hes asked to play either in defence or midfield.

I also get the impression, the boy is one of Bilics young favourites and sees a big future in the game for him. Bilic only seems to play players he's absolutely sure about and even though he's only 18, he has more faith in him than anyone else on the youth books. I'm actually surprised he resisted loaning him out to learn his trade more but I feel as if he's not going to with Rice like he did the others. I think he wants him close to the squad at all times now.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I think people need to calm down a bit, especially the Club itself. They've gone massively overboard on social media hyping a crossfield ball and some competent touches he displayed in a game that we lost 4-0.

Oxford had a more impressive debut and look where he's at two years later.

I like that Rice looks like a confident, comfortable footballer but we need to pump the brakes and just let it happen or not organically.
Kialos
Has liked: 1557 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Rice has been well thought of for some time, he's not just burst onto the scene.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

and exactly how much of him have you seen?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

ohsnap wrote:and exactly how much of him have you seen?

Enough to spot a talent of his age.
Kialos
Has liked: 1557 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

If you are replying to me, several times. As an example I travelled up to Hull last May and saw him in the team that won the U21 final. I've also seen in play for the U23 in the LS last season and up at Burnley to watch his senior debut, albeit for a short time. I was Man Utd on Sunday and did not look out of place.

He's going to be a very good player and has a fantastic attitude which is so important. At his age he will be inconsistent so I agree that the club should not use him as the new hero.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

He looks good, keep him on the current path and no reason he won't become a solid regular to replace Collins and Fonte in the squad over the next few years if he hasn't already. Hopefully he goes one better and reaches first team level.

What impressed me most in pre-season and against Man United is the confidence he has to get stuck in against the big names and put a well timed tackle in, looks comfortable on the ball as well so hasn't looked out of place at DM.
Colours never run

Kialos wrote:If you are replying to me, several times. As an example I travelled up to Hull last May and saw him in the team that won the U21 final. I've also seen in play for the U23 in the LS last season and up at Burnley to watch his senior debut, albeit for a short time. I was Man Utd on Sunday and did not look out of place.

He's going to be a very good player and has a fantastic attitude which is so important. At his age he will be inconsistent so I agree that the club should not use him as the new hero.

Aye. It comes over loud and clear for me too. I also agree the Club should reign it in a bit but I also get why he highly regarded. There's a maturity there way beyond his teenage years. He just looks the part and the team trust him as does Bilic. I've also seen it with young Oxford too although I feel Oxford long term would be more comfortable at the back and Rice seems really comfortable operating in midfield.

I might be wrong but I think Rice might be 2 footed which will make a world of difference as he grows older. Just all looks soneasy for him when clearly it won't be easy making such a mark on his Old Trafford debut against such good players.
Colours never run

DDHammer wrote:He looks good, keep him on the current path and no reason he won't become a solid regular to replace Collins and Fonte in the squad over the next few years if he hasn't already. Hopefully he goes one better and reaches first team level.

What impressed me most in pre-season and against Man United is the confidence he has to get stuck in against the big names and put a well timed tackle in, looks comfortable on the ball as well so hasn't looked out of place at DM.

Yep, not fazed 1 little bit. Man City, Man Utd, the boy doesn't give a f*** who it is but still respects them enough not to overdo it. That for me says a lot, because the rest will feel much easier to play against.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Noticable that he's the only one Slav feels happy to have in the squad. He could have kept Oxford and/or Burke for that cover, but didn't.
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

I hope he does integrate into the squad and continue to progress but I feel we perhaps need to tone it down with the young players, of course give them praise where due but as said above about the social media team promoting him as a shining light etc in a 4-0 loss over the weekend, Talksport were waxing lyrical about Trent Alexander-Arnold form Liverpool yesterday the lad scored an important goal but many young players have in the past on their debut to then vanish into obscurity. The press are very quick to label young players with 'the next big thing'

I think there is an inherent will from us to see players come through the ranks and succeed in the first team, its that local boy dun good kind of romantic story.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

bobd_uk wrote:Noticable that he's the only one Slav feels happy to have in the squad. He could have kept Oxford and/or Burke for that cover, but didn't.
Early days yet. Oxford got game time against Arsenal, started poorly the following game and was wiped from the face of the earth.

We're missing someone of Burke's strengths in centre defence at the moment. Reid is desperate for a right side partner who can get the ball down and play.

I'm desperately disappointed with Slav on that particular player, and it is the one area I do not trust the manager on. Partly (potentially largely) because these short term contracts do not motivate a long term approach.

It is not in Slav's interest to play these young players and I do not think that we will see much more of Rice if the going gets tough.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

rice is so good he could be loaned to germany in a couple of years!
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Pretty certain will go on loan if we sign a DM. Effectively he will be 5 th choice CB and 5 th choice CM.same for Martinez Now sakho and Carroll fit ,although we all know that would be foolish.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1844 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

bobd_uk wrote:Noticable that he's the only one Slav feels happy to have in the squad. He could have kept Oxford and/or Burke for that cover, but didn't.
Diff'rent strokes and all that.

Rice is only 18 but looks incredibly mature. Being in and around the squad and getting a decent amount of minutes as a sub is great for him
Oxford is also only 18 but there have been rumblings of some attitude issues. Sending him out on a tough loan spell could be a good tool to force him to grow up and focus on improving.
Burke is almost 21. He needs to play every week in a competitive league. A good season at Bolton and he's perfectly placed to come back in and grab one of those CB places in the squad next season (hopefully Cullen can do the same in midfield).

From the outside it looks to me like the development of all of these is being handled brilliantly right now (we'll scrub over the wasted loan spell for Oxford last spring!).
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1413 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I like what I've seen. Hopefully he has a future at the club.

With him, Burke, Oxford, Cullen etc coming through, I think maybe next season could be a big one for our younger guys.

Would love to see Rice start a game or two this season.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Don't faint me being positive haha.But this lad is the real deal.Watched his 30 mins against united again and he's got that xfactor that presence that top CB have.Not sure if he will end up a CB or DM but he has that ability to look like he has all the time in the world on the ball.Unfortunately I think we will struggle to keep him,and I think if he plays any amount of time this year big clubs will come knocking very quickly.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: From the outside it looks to me like the development of all of these is being handled brilliantly right now (we'll scrub over the wasted loan spell for Oxford last spring!).

This is how I see it to.
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

Similar build to Jack Collison. Like Jack, not super fast but strokes the ball around nicely, has strength and a very good temperament. Probably less of an attacking player but looks good technically.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Somewhere between Carrick and noble.