Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by stu1 »

Vienna wrote:I think he is better than Rio
Rio was arguably the best defender in the world for a 2-3 year period, if Rice gets anywhere near the levels Rio set we have a serious player.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

stu

and his partnership with Vidic could probably be labelled the best team partnership there over that period too..
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Vienna wrote:I think he is better than Rio, he may not win as many trophies as him or Lampard if he stays here like Noble or he could win everything if Man City buy him and they have bought a lot worse
Not yet. Far too early to make that claim. Don't forget he was dragged at half time against Liverpool. He has played in just 32 games in the Premier League, ten of those have been as a sub at the end of the game where he has been given less than 15mins and only 20 have been starts.

He is certainly coming on very nicely and looks to be following the same kind of path as Rio though.
Rio won Hammer of the year aged just 19, Declan was runner up last year and will certainly be in with a shout of that too if he keeps going the way he has the past few weeks.

I rate Declan very highly and think he is showing confidence and class way above his years in the middle. I just don't want us to set him up for a great big fall by building him up to be something he isn't at this early stage in his career.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

stu1 wrote:Rio was arguably the best defender in the world for a 2-3 year period, if Rice gets anywhere near the levels Rio set we have a serious player.
No, he wasn't. Rio Ferdinand was never a better defender than the likes of Carles Puyol, Fabio Cannavaro, Lilian Thuram, Alessandro Nesta, Fernando Hierro or Paolo Maldini. There isn't a 2-3 year spell in career when he was the best. You might make an argument for his sole Champions League winning year, although Puyol with his Euro 08' performance, guiding Spain to the title without conceeding a single goal in the play-offs, is another very good contender.

Rice is a talent we should enjoy while he is around.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Rio was a f**king incredible defender, world class for years, he could do everything. He was as good as anyone in his generation, Rice doesn't look as good as Rio did when he first broke into the first team, but he has looked very good in a number of games.
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

It's fun to compare with Rio. I am struck by the similarities in temperament and their reading of the game. Plus they both have excellent technique, can pass and their timing on winning possession is more important that their speed or strength.
But the game is that much faster now and Declan is playing in a different role. He's having to be more advanced with the game happening around him, instead of in front of him as a defender.
It's an interesting hypothetical, but Rio never played in that role.
Time will tell, but Declan's certainly going to be a quality premier league player if he stays fit - he's learning every game and showed great resilience to recover from set-backs and mistakes.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Isn’t agree there was a time Rio was the best centre back in the world. Peaks drift with those names listed, he’s certainly in the same bracket. Terry got so many plaudits but it was all cos he was the kind of centre back that England fans thought England and passion were about. Rio was an absolute class above.

Rice is showing a great deal of ability and potential. Takes a lot to keep going with that and realising it though. I hope he does, with us (and with England 8-) )
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Think the better comparison is with Erik Dier.

I'd already have Rice over Dier.
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

It's interesting to compare Rice and Ferdinand. Worth remembering too that 'Arry didn't trust Rio to play in a back four, which prompted the switch to 3 at the back.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Billydinho wrote:Think the better comparison is with Erik Dier.

I'd already have Rice over Dier.
Good call, and I make you right.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Probably an offer that might happen in a few months.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Rio played in central midfield for us during the second half of 96/97, in a number of games, and played well.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

I find it very difficult to compare Rio and Declan as one is St Lucian and the other English.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

OnePaulHilton wrote:I find it very difficult to compare Rio and Declan as one is St Lucian and the other English.
Who invited Tommy Robinson?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

OnePaulHilton wrote:I find it very difficult to compare Rio and Declan as one is St Lucian and the other English.
What a strange comment.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Surely ones a half Irishman and ones a drug cheat :arry:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Rio has an Irish mother. Rice ditched Ireland for England. I think he's trying to link the two somehow.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Rice is head and shoulders above Dier (who is possibly one of the most overrated players in the PL and how he's been given the captain's arm band for England in the past makes me feel quite queasy) already and will end up being two or three times the player.

My opinion on Dec's contract situation - we need to take his age completely out of the equation, he is good enough (so he's old enough) to be starting for a mid-table PL team - a team who aren't exactly tight with their wages - so he should be paid accordingly. I believe it's more about the principal rather than him being greedy. If I found out that people in my workplace were doing a lesser job or had less responsibility than me, but were earning more money, I wouldn't be happy.

We need to sign him up ASAP. He's a better player than Oxford and has a better mentality too. Giving him a contract he actually deserves won't make him big time or send him off the rails like other young players have. He's mature enough to put in the performances he has been at his age so he's mature enough to be paid accordingly.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It is an extremely biased view to say that Rice is better than Dier

Until Rice has played in high profile European matches, or big international games it is impossible to compare

I don't rate Dier that much, but a couple of seasons back he was very good playing in that position in front of the back four, and very consistent. To the extent that a lot of Spurs fans thought he was one of their most important players

Rice has looked pretty good at DM in a handful of games so far, but that is all.

A huge amount of hyperbole on this thread IMHO
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Has been a class above the last few games. Really developing into some player, which is probably why the whole contract situation is making people knicker wet.

He's got 2 years left, plenty of time to get things sorted. Chill boys, chill.