Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by sutts07 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: but there you go, different opinions and all that...
Yeah, opinions...
Shearer and Keown thought Anderson 'looked very good' and were impressed with 'the quality he showed'.
If ever there was a case for two pundits watching a 3min highlight and commenting on a game it was this.

Rice could have done better for the goal. I am not hammering him because I think he had a good game after getting through the early exchanges, bu the ball got caught under his feet for the goal and he also failed to block the shot. He will no doubt be personally disappointed about it.

He's a big boy now, not exempt from having errors pointed out. Had that have been someone like Noble, there would be very few pointing out the fact the lay off was a little over hit.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

sutts

I thought NO ONE looked good over 90 minutes...Snodders got my MotM only because he worked so bloody hard...

Anderson and Arnie looked disinterested.....the rest looked Blah...

Fabianski was awful for the goal, couldn't fault him on the one that hit the inside of the far post as it was "one of those." Diop and Balbuena got beat for every first header, Zaba was not Zaba (and I love him in a manly way) Cresswell...phwpht...

Rice wasn't great but had the best PA% and up there with the number of touches...

As I said the rest - very meh !!
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

all were below standard and not good enough. we needed the 3 points today to cushion the city hammering !

these are the games we need to win in our so called easy run of fixtures.

Newcastle away will be another tough one and if we turn up like we did yesterday we will get beaten easily.
palace at home will be an important game as we need to win home games during this run. carditt also will be fighting hard like Huddersfield and all the teams around us in the bottom half.
Fulham and Watford will be similar.

I wonder if our lot believe the bs about an easier run of games and think they just need to turn up to win ? would not surprise and they need to forget it pretty quick or else we will be in trouble come January when a harder set of fixtures return !
Patito

Post by Patito »

Having seen the pass a number of times now, it’s not Anderson’s fault at all there’s not much power on the pass. Rice tries to control it and turn and that’s where he loses the ball. From there we are unlucky because Diop gets a tackle in but it bobbles back to them. They play a good one two and then the shot is squeezed through Rice’s legs. Lot of it looks avoidable but that’s easier said that done, the main error is Rice giving the ball away. He played ok apart from a couple early errors though.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

The level of consistancy he has shown this season has been unbelievably good considering his age. He was poor yesterday, it happens. He wasnt the only one
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Yea Why Not wrote:The level of consistancy he has shown this season has been unbelievably good considering his age. He was poor yesterday, it happens. He wasnt the only one
:thup:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:" Diop and Balbuena got beat for every first header

This is a worry for me, when defending crosses (especially corners) , we seem to struggle.
Balbuena especially, whilst looking good on the ground, regularly gets beaten by whoever he is meant to be marking.
Meanwhile at the other end of the pitch, our corners look as ineffectual as ever.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Accoring to reports surfacing in the media this morning, there is interest in him from Jose, Pep and Dortmund too. Our response to these reports? Why, a new improved contract offer, raising his wages to a whopping £20k a week. If there is any truth in any of this and I suspect there is, I don't think we stand much chance in keeping him
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

Puff Daddy wrote:Accoring to reports surfacing in the media this morning, there is interest in him from Jose, Pep and Dortmund too. Our response to these reports? Why, a new improved contract offer, raising his wages to a whopping £20k a week. If there is any truth in any if this and I suspect there is, I don't think we stand much chance in keeping him

Chill Winston. Media reports are in general a load of ball aches.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

I thought we had offered him more than 20k already so it proves the nespapers are making it up. will get worse the longer it goes on. we cant do much about it other than wait for him to sign.
perhaps a chant at the city match may help sign him up the Declan rice !
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm not sure what to think anymore, part of me thinks if he was going to sign he would of by now, he's a young lad looking for what, his second professional contract, it's not like we're trying to sign Ronaldo, how difficult can it be to get it sorted.

I understand he has two years remaining, but you can't help feeling if he was at Spurs this would have been done a year ago at least, I think he'll hold off signing to get an idea of the interest in him, why wouldn't he? He'd be mad to ignore interest from bigger teams.

I hope he stays, but with each passing month that he hasn't signed, I think the chances of him staying get slimmer and slimmer.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

S-H wrote:I'm not sure what to think anymore, part of me thinks if he was going to sign he would of by now, he's a young lad looking for what, his second professional contract, it's not like we're trying to sign Ronaldo, how difficult can it be to get it sorted.

I understand he has two years remaining, but you can't help feeling if he was at Spurs this would have been done a year ago at least, I think he'll hold off signing to get an idea of the interest in him, why wouldn't he? He'd be mad to ignore interest from bigger teams.

I hope he stays, but with each passing month that he hasn't signed, I think the chances of him staying get slimmer and slimmer.

They say every player wants to win trophies. Personally, I don't buy into this, why else would any player sign for us? But, Declan Rice just might be the exception
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

he will sign for us I think. probably a 5 year deal which will offer him stability but if a big club comes in for him when he is 22 say he can move as we know contracts are not worth much other than to ensure we get a big fee for him.

If we offer him 30-40k a week he will sign and continue his progress under Pellegrini. why would he leave to join man utd or Chelsea and not start ? he has plenty of time on his side and a decent manager who believes in him. if moyes was here then the chances of him leaving would be greater.

let him do a few more years under a new improved contract, become west ham captain, HOTY, England international and then see where he is in a few years. That is what I would do if I was him. easy to join a big club and be forgotten.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The vast majority of players want to play at the highest level they can, whether that be a non league player busting a gut to play league football, a championship player wanting to play premier league or a premier league player wanting to play for the bigger clubs who have better chances of winning things and playing champions league.

Of course, there will be some players solely interested in money (and nothing else) but these a few and far between.

Unfortunately in this modern era, with bigger squads, the top clubs have unlimited cash to spunk big money on squad players who may or may not prove good enough. If if the players dont cut the mustard, they still get to play 20 odd games a season, pick up some medals and then move somewhere probably at the same level they started. Everybody is happy.

A player like Declan Rice has the choice of playing week in week out for west ham but probably not winning anything, or going to a bigger club and playING 20 odd games that will include semi-finals, finals, champions league games etc and not really dping his career any harm in the long term.

It is a bit of a no-brainer really.

Personally I think he will leave at the end of next season regardless of the contract situation
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

It works both ways though, clubs cash in on a player who maybe happy at a club.

As for Declan he seems like a bright fella, he knows he’s playing week in week out here and improving, I doubt he’ll believe that being at a club where he’s not playing will be good for him, so he’ll sign.

Saying all of that on current trajectory I doubt he’ll be here in 3 years.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

That's the point though Ozza. He probably will play. The big teams play so many games he would still be involved in 20 odd games across competitions, with a lot of big, high profile games in there and likely medals.

If it doesn't work out he just ends up back at a club our level any way, on a lot more cash.

I think he will sign a contract but then leave within 18 months and not really much we can do to stop that tbf
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Let's not forget he came to us after failing to make the grade at Chelsea. If he is as sensible as people say, it must be in the back of his mind that a move to a more successful club could easily derail his career. These contract stories always receive a lot of press coverage (at all clubs) whenever a young player breaks into the first team, but there's no real reason why either party would be in a mad rush for a new contract. If he has belief in himself that he will continue to improve he knows the longer he waits the better deal he'll get. The club obviously are not rushing because they want to be sure he maintains this level. The case of Reece Oxford is often quoted, but there's many les spectacular falls from grace for young players everywhere. At Everton Tom Davies was a real breakthrough star but seems to have faded into becoming a squad player recently. Even though he appears regularly for England, Marcus Rashford's club position is probably somewhere behind where he would have expected a couple of years back. For what it's worth (not much) I think Declan will become a major player, I just think he's got an instinct that you can't teach. Let's hope it's at west ham, not somewhere else
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

goa127 wrote:Let's not forget he came to us after failing to make the grade at Chelsea. If he is as sensible as people say, it must be in the back of his mind that a move to a more successful club could easily derail his career. These contract stories always receive a lot of press coverage (at all clubs) whenever a young player breaks into the first team, but there's no real reason why either party would be in a mad rush for a new contract. If he has belief in himself that he will continue to improve he knows the longer he waits the better deal he'll get. The club obviously are not rushing because they want to be sure he maintains this level. The case of Reece Oxford is often quoted, but there's many les spectacular falls from grace for young players everywhere. At Everton Tom Davies was a real breakthrough star but seems to have faded into becoming a squad player recently. Even though he appears regularly for England, Marcus Rashford's club position is probably somewhere behind where he would have expected a couple of years back. For what it's worth (not much) I think Declan will become a major player, I just think he's got an instinct that you can't teach. Let's hope it's at west ham, not somewhere else
You make a good point. To counter that he knows he has a chance to go to a top six club (like Chelsea before) he will get paid probably double what we can offer, and if it all goes wrong then we, or another EPL mid-table side will take him back in a heartbeat, you've see it happen time and time again, our squads full of similar players ... so for him why not take the risk? he's guaranteed more money and possible stardom, worse case scenario he ends up back at the level where he started ... how can he lose?
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:He probably will play. The big teams play so many games he would still be involved in 20 odd games across competitions, with a lot of big, high profile games in there and likely medal
Sorry but that’s BS. How many games did a young Jack Rodwell make for City? How many games has Patrick Roberts played since joining City? Ruben Loftus Cheek isn’t playing much for Chelsea either. And those are just a couple of examples off the top of my head.

It depends how good you are and what other players are available for selection.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

exactly right Romford, and he's already been burned at Chelsea.