Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Ozza »

I keep asking the same question, how much is he worth in the current climate, 30m, 40m? If so how much would you pay a player per week if you bought him in?
kentishiron
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by kentishiron »

Ozza wrote:I keep asking the same question, how much is he worth in the current climate, 30m, 40m? If so how much would you pay a player per week if you bought him in?
I think given his age, his nationality (should he choose to play for England), his amount of Premier League experience at 19, the fact Villa rejected £30m or so for Grealish who is 23 now and unproven in the top flight, and most importantly, there really aren't many players in his position who are so comfortable on the ball, his touch, composure, vision, awareness and ability to read the game is already verging World Class, if he had 4 years on his contract I would reckon we wouldn't accept anything under £50m, but he is genuinely invaluable to our team.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

What could go wrong here ‘eh?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1995 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

erm Sully & Co. flogging him for circa 20-25M, telling us that they had no choice, he didn't want to stay and they couldn't get him to sign a new contract HOWEVER much they offered him..and that this was the best bid and they had no alternative but to sell to Chelsea/Citeh/ManU/Spuds/L'Arse....especially as his contract was running down.......

they have previous.........
poplargeezer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

He's growing in class with every game.

Sadly get the feeling he's been tapped up and everyone in the know knows this - hence 'final offer' on contract.

Mind you, the Irish must be kicking themselves too for not getting him in sooner as a fully-fledged international.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

At the time of the first contract offer, I didn't think we were being too unreasonable in being careful with what we pay him. Since then he has become an important first team player and has put in good performance after good performance. I would say he has earned the going rate now...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:At the time of the first contract offer, I didn't think we were being too unreasonable in being careful with what we pay him. Since then he has become an important first team player and has put in good performance after good performance. I would say he has earned the going rate now...
the contract thing came up towards the end of last season I think...even if it didn't he played 30 ish games last term so he was a fairly known quantity when it came to putting money on the table....

they're trying to play clever bollox and low ball him...

not going to work and could well back fire...lose him for compensation which might end up being 6M tops..plus any add ons if England win the World Cup..

:D
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

poplargeezer wrote:.

Sadly get the feeling he's been tapped up and everyone in the know knows this - hence 'final offer' on contract.
If that were the case I'd be tempted to offer what he (or his agents) are asking for and shift the emphasis onto them.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I’ve stayed away from posting on this thread as i’ve previously criticised the club for being over generous and hasty with new contracts.

However it’s now patently obvious that this boy has got ‘it’ and is being routinely talked about as one of our best players in almost every game - at a time when we are playing well too.

Think it’s time to stop ****ing around now West Ham please.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

We like to pay top dollar for established players in the 28 plus age group, its why we have so many injuries.
Its a Sullivan thing, he thinks he is king of the bloody hill signing the well knowns of this world and giving them huge wages. Patrick Evra anyone? Yes please he is ex Man Utd,.so must be good. Joe Hart? Plays for England, lets give him 120k a week.
Sullivan likes to send out a message with these types of player that he is big time, the only message that gets out is that he is a complete fool. Agents must be queuing up to sell him the top teams cast offs.

Meanwhile the likes of Declan Rice suffer because of the previous incompetence shown by the chairman in the transfer market.
The beauty of Rice, beyond the fact that he is a cracking player, is that at his age the odds are he will stay fit and play a lot of games.
Meanwhile how many old crocks do we have out for six months or more?
He really is a fool with other peoples money.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

He's proved himself. Playing better and better, and is showing a great awareness playing in the deep lying midfielder role. I wish he had more confidence to drive at the opposition ala Scotty Parker and Kayouote.

Carroll steals money every week for doing nothing. Give Dec 40K a week and stop f'in about.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

It's the way we go about these things that's so ridiculous ....

Last season we knew that Declan's contract was up for renewal, we should have had a decent idea of the lad's potential, after all he's been with us five years ... but to be fair we couldn't be sure that he'd grow into the top quality player he clearly now will ...

So what to do?

A - Offer him the bare minimum and see if he takes it?
B - Offer him enough that he signs?
C - Offer him silly money?

If you do 'A' then the chances are he will hold out and see what other options are available, who wouldn't. You are then hoping that he doesn't play well so other clubs stay away, the risk is that if he does play well your negotiating position is severely weakened and the player/club relationship damaged ...

If you do'C' then the obvious risk is that the player blows out and you've wasted your money ...

So the only sensible, reasonable, logical thing to do is 'B' .. offer a contract you know, because you talk to him and his agent, that he will sign ... we are led to believe that at the time he wanted 35k a week, a lot but well within our means ...

What did our 'brains-trust' do? they went with feckin' 'A' ... and guess what it looks like they ****ed up ... who couldn't see that coming ....

The really crazy thing is that for option 'A' to work they were betting on Declan being poor ... utter c**** ... let's hope his blood runs claret and blue, we will know soon enough ...
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:erm Sully & Co. flogging him for circa 20-25M, telling us that they had no choice, he didn't want to stay and they couldn't get him to sign a new contract HOWEVER much they offered him..and that this was the best bid and they had no alternative but to sell to Chelsea/Citeh/ManU/Spuds/L'Arse....especially as his contract was running down.......

Have they? With who?
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Regardless of what he’s offered, does he really want to stay?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ace

do you think after the year Payet had, we could have either:

a) invested in the squad and kept him

b) held out for more money from Marseille

I know that Marseille was only place he wanted to go, but I feel we "could" have played hard ball and said, "No he stays with us." both he and they wanted the move. we sold out cheaply imvho. then we got the "oh he wanted to go we couldn't keep him" but various ITK's on here said that it was more us than him. promises made etc. etc.

4M for Feghouli - again probably less than what we gave him with signing bonuses etc. I don't think we do good transfer business when it comes to selling players or buying them to be honest. I think we get less than market value in some cases and pay more than necessary in others. (imvho).

who was pushing to sign Carroll other than us ? 15M was probably market value at that time, but no one else was bidding and iirc he had a injury too. we were very happy to chuck 15M no questions asked.

could we have gotten a better deal for Jao Mario ?

did we pay over the odds for Anderson ?

Fonte ?

things like that - I am sure other clubs pay over the odds from time to time and have significant failures to boot.

trouble is our lot make out like they are the transfer kings but in reality threw money away of Callieri, Zaza, and others who failed to even make a dent, in the hope that they would turn into the next Diop. trouble is we have someone who (did) does know naff all about the game but try to convince everyone they do.

look where it got them at Brum. They have previous as I said.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:erm Sully & Co. flogging him for circa 20-25M, telling us that they had no choice, he didn't want to stay and they couldn't get him to sign a new contract HOWEVER much they offered him..and that this was the best bid and they had no alternative but to sell to Chelsea/Citeh/ManU/Spuds/L'Arse....especially as his contract was running down.......

I meant apart from that Cuence. :)

It's my point really. The brinksmanship over this lad is typical Sullivan. As others have correctly pointed out he just won't pay out what he needs to pay out unless he absolutely has to. Basically he loves a bargain. There's absolutely no harm in that by the way except when you don't recognise false economy when you see it and Sullivan doesn't.

This is just another example of that short sightedness. Sign this lad and he develops as he is and he's worth far more than £25-30 million. Piss him off and he will have no need to stay. Save a few pennies on Rush Green and ignore the link with the year in year out injury situation. Get the 'deal of the century' and basically by your own definition the other party then get the 'worst deal of the century'. We're going to court with them again? Quell surprise. It goes on and on ... even now there's people on another thread not understanding why we let go of Feghouli so cheaply. Sully knows why - he signed him for nowt and made £4 million a year later. Result.

Sulli is still a small time grot seller at heart. A pound here, a pound there - from experience he knows they can add up to hundreds of millions. He has that mentality and why not? He doesn't care about others. He's evidently a selfish man. He's done very well out of his methods. But essentially they are small time so whilst he's here we can only ever be small time.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by waynepin »

I was hoping he would choose Ireland simply because I want him to sign a new contract and stay at west Ham, by choosing England will mean he has to be part of a top six squad rather than a first team player, the England squad apart from the keeper is made up mainly by first team squad members of teams, you can be on the bench at these clubs and play for England, so pay him the wage he deserves and hope he picks Ireland,
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Got to pay him what he's worth. And he's worth his starting place in the midfield of a mid-table PL team. Plucking a figure out now and he has to be offered at least £30k p/w. It's not like he's 16, signing his first pro contract and won't be anywhere near the first team for years. Take his age out of the equation - he's good enough so he's old enough.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

dave

I have posted similar in training thread.

if they cannot see an immediate return in terms of actual cash - it's not going to happen.

My guess would be that paying 2M to Sanchez, plus his agent's fee, plus his signing on fee, plus his wages, would pay Rice's contract for 3 years.

That's a guess on my part, Sanchez is an international and would command I imagine 35-40K at least. We paid 2M for him, my guess another 500K in agents fees and probably a 500K min signing bonus. for 2 years of probably 35-40K wages.

Total wages around 4M, plus 2M plus 1 M = 7M.

ball park.

Rice contract: 30K x 52 x 5 years = 9M plus signing on fee plus agents fees. say 10M

so for 3M more we get Rice for 5 years but lose Sanchez after 2.

We could be looking for 2 x DM's in 2 years time.

Madness.

(all ball park figures but I would guess not too far off in totals)..
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Surely even our lot won't let this kid walk away for nothing in the summer.