Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Zabaleta’s comments... :eh:

Raving about Rice and rightfully so but then comes out with the chestnut that he expects him to be here for at least a couple of years because he’s still learning. But expects the ‘big clubs’ to want him.

He probably didn’t mean it like that but I hate that sort of thing. Like we are just a placeholder for the lad until Man City are ready to have him.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Zabaleta’s comments... :eh:

Raving about Rice and rightfully so but then comes out with the chestnut that he expects him to be here for at least a couple of years because he’s still learning. But expects the ‘big clubs’ to want him.

He probably didn’t mean it like that but I hate that sort of thing. Like we are just a placeholder for the lad until Man City are ready to have him.

however that's probably true though.....

it's always been the way hasn't it ? UNLESS...the club decides to continually invest in quality players who can keep us competitive. Europe HAS to be a priority in some form or other..

once a player plays on a International team he wants to test himself against the best in Europe.

he won't play against Messi or Suarez (fro example) as they don't play in Euro qualifiers so he has to wait (any player) for 4 years to play against them in the WC.

and win something. any player is likely to win "something" with a "big" club and unless we change our policies, and with the Axis of Evil we're unlikely too, if history is our judge, any player worthy of a top spot and to start (and with 50 oods games he's likely to) they'll go without a second thought.

play for England and the likelihood is sooner than later.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Yep, that’s pretty much my point though.

How are we supposed to change that when our own players subscribe to that ideology. I’m sure Zaba meant well but he might as well have been a Man City spokesman there.

Pellegrini has us “thinking like a big team” on the pitch. Now we need to do the same everywhere else. Rice isn’t too good for us, no matter how excellent he is. We should be completely focused on making sure we can keep up with the ambitions he has.

Spend more big dough on Anderson level players etc. Tottenham aren’t that much different to us size wise. The main difference is mismanagement and ambition. Kane is one of the top strikers in the world, they’ve managed to keep him and end up in Champions League knockouts because they didn’t have the “he’s too good for us” mindset. They went and got other top class players and acted like a top class team.

Fair enough if you lose Kane or Rice to Real Madrid, but to another Prem side... nah we need to think differently. Compete up there with those sides rather than just feed them our best talent.

How many league titles did we give up when we sold Lampard, Carrick, Rio, Cole etc?

No point playing the game if everything we are doing is only built towards selling our best to Man City or Chelsea.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Carrick left Spurs for ManU
Sterling left Liverpool for Citeh

it happens.............

Spurs have always finished above us (generally) as long as I have supported our club and that's going back yonks.

won the double way back when..think it was the first time in the modern era. bought players that improved the team.

Greaves (100K in 1961), Gilzean, (72K in 1964) etc. etc.

Marton Chivers, and changed the landscape really with Ossie Ardilles and Ricardo Villa....

now they have a brand new football stadium to play in and a load of world class players........we are playing catch up.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

The FAI with a cheeky tweety :lol:

I see Lineker is in there somewhere..............

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/10 ... 0472477698
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Carrick left Spurs for ManU
Sterling left Liverpool for Citeh

it happens.............

Spurs have always finished above us (generally) as long as I have supported our club and that's going back yonks.

won the double way back when..think it was the first time in the modern era. bought players that improved the team.

Greaves (100K in 1961), Gilzean, (72K in 1964) etc. etc.

Marton Chivers, and changed the landscape really with Ossie Ardilles and Ricardo Villa....

now they have a brand new football stadium to play in and a load of world class players........we are playing catch up.
All I know is in the last twenty years, our players won Leagues and Champions Leagues not playing for West Ham. The only reason we are playing catch up is because historically we are an insecure football club and seem to have an inherent disbelief in our ability to be a team that can win. Tottenham haven’t won anything but you said it yourself, a load of world class players and even famous Champions League victories against massive historical clubs.

They lose the odd player like Bale or Modric to the biggest club in the world but they keep on reloading or refilling their team with top class talent. We replace Lampard with Lee Bowyer. Payet with Robert Snodgrass.

I understand that there is somewhat of a feeling of inevitability with losing stars to the so called ‘big club’ leeches.

But historically we haven’t put up a fight. We bend over and let them have their way.

What we do with Rice will say everything that needs to be said for me. It’s one thing being rinsed at the Boleyn. Now we’re in this wonderful magnificent iconic stadium. We are here to be at the top. Or so we’ve been told, over and over again.

Let’s see.

A Felipe Anderson every few years isn’t enough. They’ve made this problem for themselves. Now they need to prove they can spend big, build big and keep big players. I doubt it somehow but at least we’ve got a manager that thinks big.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thup:

we completely agree......100%
Jimmy Ruffell

Post by Jimmy Ruffell »

I wonder what the World Record fee is for a 21 year old? I am sure that in 18 months time I resolve will be sternly tested by a fee offer of gigantic proportions. Fernandinho wont go more than next season on his current workload, form. I can see Declan getting more forward under Pellegrini as he grows with the team and having more shots and cutting through balls to wingers/strikers.I am astounded at his reading of the game its extraordinary really - so mature.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Well, Mbappe was quite expensive (something like 180-90 mill euros+++) and only just turned 20
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

When the time eventually comes (and I do truly hope it's not for a long time yet), I reckon he'd fetch in excess of £100m, as long as he stays fit and healthy. He won't be stomping his feet like Payet and Arnautovic have engineered moves. There would be a bidding war amongst the top Clubs unless someone blows any other team out the water in any case.

Not that I personally would sell him for anything but I'm not in control of what goes on at the Club.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Your post was a delight,Aztec.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Commentator mentioned ageing Fernandinho and Rice replacing him. It's beginning.
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Commentator mentioned ageing Fernandinho and Rice replacing him. It's beginning.
:arry: Jr. was at it in the post match chit chat on Sky on Saturday too.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Commentator mentioned ageing Fernandinho and Rice replacing him. It's beginning.
How can they get away with this, it's out of order.

I detest Sky.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

also chucked in for good measure "after dominating the game at the OS on the weekend......"
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

A commentators/ pundit/ journalists job is to comment on football and provide opinion. It would be weird if they didn't talk up good players and provide context ie .player A would be good for club X

I doubt very much Man City''s interest in Rice is in anyway impacted by what the media say. They [and all the othwr big clubs] would have been keeping tabs on him since he made his debut, similar to every other promising youngster in the world
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

crouchy

yes no club on earth would ever place their transfer targets based on the inane uttering of a commentator.

but it's a drip drip drip and it starts loads of other fans who don't keep up with our players (or other "smaller" clubs) but it gets it on their forums and out into more of the public domain and pretty soon players read the press as it escalates and it cannot help but boost their egos.

let's face it all players have an ego. some so much so that it runs their lives. some can take it and put it where it belongs.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I am not sure what you want the media to do then? Not talk about good young players?
Surely a TV commentator is no different to a print journalist writing an article on a promising player and commenting that he would be good for club X, y or z?
If a young player is good enough [which Rice is] the whole world and his dog will be linking them with the big boys - where he can fit in, who he can replace etc
Been happening since the press started reporting on football [whenever that was]
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

talk about young players ? of course............

been linked to......xxxx.....whatever.......................

sometimes I am pretty sure they create their own headlines....I stopped reading the sports sections, half of them are nicked off another paper and others nicked off forums..not much journalistic application imvho.

if it comes off - they are the "first" to have mentioned it and if nothing comes of it, no one remembers...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I'm with Crouch end. It doesn't concern me really what they say. Guardiola and the like ain't going to suddenly think, f*** me you'll never guess who Merson/Redknapp/Anyfatcuntattalksport rate and linking us to Rice?? Get me my cheque book and pen and Mr Dildo on Skype immediately! (All in Spanish of course).