Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Declan Rice

Post by DasNutNock »

Wouldn’t be vaguely surprised if the cretins in charge refuse to budge on their maximum, he leaves, and has a long and successful career with someone else.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

if i was dec i'd hold out signing for a few more months. his value goes up on a weekly basis.
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

DasNutNock wrote:Wouldn’t be vaguely surprised if the cretins in charge refuse to budge on their maximum, he leaves, and has a long and successful career with someone else.
Yep, and then they'll sign some bloke called Diego Ricini, on 100K a week, who turns out to be utter garbage
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Beavis Danzig wrote:if i was dec i'd hold out signing for a few more months. his value goes up on a weekly basis.
Exactly, why should he be in any hurry?
Bitter 'n' Twisted

Post by Bitter 'n' Twisted »

Beavis Danzig wrote:if i was dec i'd hold out signing for a few more months. his value goes up on a weekly basis.
prophet:marginal wrote:Exactly, why should he be in any hurry?
Because he is only on 3K per week at the moment and might end his career next week with a broken leg.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

IronworksDave wrote:The current EPL average salary is 40k a week ... to offer a starting player 19k is pretty dumb even if he is only 20 in January ... if we lose him over 20k a week when we're paying ***** players three times that it will be a major ****-up ...

Dumb-arse statements from our PR department "wary of harming the youngster's progress by giving him too much at such a young age" really don't help ..... we've not had many gems in recent years, we must hang on to this one ..... losing him will send a catastrophic message to everyone ....
I'm not so sure on this. If a player is totally motivated by money at the age of 19 is that player going to make the best of his ability...There's a long line of young players tipped to be the next big thing who have pushed for money and transfers and ended up putting their careers in jeopardy.

The club will be looking to sign him up for a significant period (6 years?) and that presents a financial risk... Give him 40k now and who knows what may happen...His agent looks to be stirring the pot a fair amount as well.

A 6year contract with a sliding scale wage that increases in line with his progress and can bring him in line with the clubs top earners is pragmatic and fair.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Bitter 'n' Twisted wrote:Because he is only on 3K per week at the moment and might end his career next week with a broken leg.
Precisely. Both club and his agent are playing a dangerous game at the moment. SJB is right (IMO) - a long contract that sees his financial rewards increase in line with his contribution seems appropriate to me.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

I'll just repeat what I said a few months ago:

Based on reports. Exactly. We have no idea how much any of these players earn. Rice has an agent, it's his job (essentially) to do the best for his client. I'd be amazed if Rice is on 8k p/w at Christmas. This is a non story, a nothing event. You could even argue that paying Oxford over the odds has gone to his head.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

As someone posted earlier. If he does the dirty on Ireland we are dealing with a person of questionable character. I suspect he is holding out for a England call up. Huge increase in status. (Even if the last decent side England best was Argentina over 10 years ago ) Pardon?
Smudger1
Has liked: 17 likes

Post by Smudger1 »

Colours never run wrote:I don't see him going anytime soon. In fact at least a good 5 years.

The Div's and the She Devil are many things, but they rarely **** up when it comes to selling and usually hold on to their best players. Their track record holds up on that account and I don't see him being sold in the foreseeable and don't see the lad demanding moves left, right and centre..
I'm not so sure CNR, particularly during their tenure here, who have we kept that a decent PL team genuinely wanted? Parker, Sold. Payet, Sold even at Brum they sold Savage and then Upson, unfortunately to us.
I hope you’re right but I do feel that they know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Sloop John B wrote:I'm not so sure on this. If a player is totally motivated by money at the age of 19 is that player going to make the best of his ability...There's a long line of young players tipped to be the next big thing who have pushed for money and transfers and ended up putting their careers in jeopardy.
In a world of 'fairies and rainbows' you may well be correct, but back in the real world at just 19 Declan is already an established EPL and International player .... his age is frankly no longer relevant ... don't forget there's a 19 year old at Liverpool on 45k a week, a 20 year old at Spurs just signed a 35k a week deal, and some 19 year old French lad at PSG on 200k a week

If he's good enough then his age shouldn't be the only factor. He'll have an agent in his ear telling him to hold out for 40k plus, telling him that every day his value goes up not down, and telling him that (enter big club name here) will pay him what he wants ...

Sure he could sustain a career ending injury tomorrow, but the odds are tiny ....

We need to think like a big club and pay the lad the money ... just get it done ....
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

This thread.

Last season he was largely good at CB, but made mistakes and was part of the defence that leaked the most goals in the PL. This season he's not been great for the first few matches, was out of the team, and has now had 2 good games at DM.

Rice looks very promising and could well go on to become a top player, but consistency is key and he needs to keep that going.

We have a tendency to jump to extremes with our players. A couple of good matches and he's top draw, a couple of crap ones and he's not good enough.
Redkanpps dog

Post by Redkanpps dog »

He has never played a competitive international senior game. I wouldn't called him an established international player?
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

The point is though we paid Oxford £30k a week and where is he now?
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

The owners made their bed now they have to lie in it. Giving Oxford a big contract has set a presedent, you can't blame Rice or his team for holding out for more. Trying this 'lessons learned' balls isn't helping the situation at all. How much do you think Phil Foden is paid? Diop, Mbappe etc etc. He asking for the going rate, and they have to pay it or he'll leave, and fare play to him.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

If Gold & Sullivan love money as much as we know they do, then I'm sure they would have offered Declan a lucrative, long term contract, knowing full well they will flog him in a few years for good money.

The fact he hasn't signed would suggest to me, he's had his head turned by another club, and is running down his contract.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

PrawnSandwich wrote:The point is though we paid Oxford £30k a week and where is he now?
What are you saying? only pay young players 15k a week? just how do you think that will work out ....
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Redkanpps dog wrote:He has never played a competitive international senior game. I wouldn't called him an established international player?
You're right, he may be 'in demand' as an International but 20 junior and 3 senior Irish appearances don't make him established ... my bad
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

The irony is the longer we leave offering him the contract he wants the more he'll be in demand if he continues to play as well as he has been. So if Sully thinks he's being clever trying to offer him little then he really is a fool. As the moment he is in demand and other clubs offer him ridiculous wages, he'll have to shed out a lot more wages than he anticipated just to keep him.

And I couldn't give a sh*t about how much Reece Oxford is on. Oxford's career is only going one way. There's a reason no one came in and gave us the money we wanted for Oxford.

Rice has played a lot more games and has even played senior games in International footbal. Not to mention was 2nd only to Arnie as the HOTY for last year.

Give him the money he deserves for crying out loud. Even if it is nearly the same, if not a little bit more than some of the other 1st team players. It's a message to send out to the squad you'll be rewarded with commitment and good performances :thup: Offer him something in range of the early 20,000s with a clause that means the wages will rise if he plays loads of games for us this season and next. It's hardly going to bankrupt the club.
hxhammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hxhammer »

steveherts66 wrote:No disrespect to Declan as he looks to have a very bright future, is a decent lad and I want it to be claret and blue but is it any wonder we feel disconnected from the players now. The fact we all think £20k pw is below the going rate for a player of his age and standard.
Agreed, he's 19 years of age and he's turning his nose up at 15-20K per week!!!!!

Football is well and truely f*cked