Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I have got to agree, fair play to Oxford for wanting to develop his career abroad. Not many English players are willing to leave these shores let alone at such a young age. I am sure he would have got offers domestically if that was his wish. Or he could have just sat on his arse here collecting his wages playing U23 games. The worry is he might be enjoying to the degree that he will never want to play for us again. And who can blame him? But a new coach might be able to form a more cohesive relationship with him.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

I think Rice was just as important in staying up as Arnie... no honestly, hear me out.

He formed a really good partnership with Oggy but watching him he reads the game so well and I think that is actually his biggest strength. I lost count the amount of times he would stop danger before it even developed, even to the point of chasing up to the half way line.
I fully appreciate there was the duck against Arsenal and that essentially cost us the game and also the own goal for Zab but if you can stomach a re watch on some of the games especially towards the end of the season he was outstanding.

I honestly think he is the best youth prospect for some time, dare I say better than Rio.....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1670 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Wonder what say a John Terry is on at Villa ?

Or a Gibson at Boro ?

Hell I wonder how much Ashley Fletcher got when he signed for Sunderland ???

Just a thought...you can use statistics to assist what you see with your own eyes.

However, playing more games that Reid and Ginge, and putting up similar stats in what they call Key Performance Indicators to Oggie, all of whom are or were internationals can at least point you in the right direction. I would use those were I him, when it comes down to a new contract. If I didn't feel that it reflected my worth to the team, I would gamble on myself, and let my contract run down and sign somewhere else. Germany maybe ??? Worse case is that West Ham get compensation as he would be under 25 and moving on a free contract.

I would not insult him. Even 25K for a back up these days ? And a proven back up ? I would imagine that someone (mentioned elsewhere) like Hugill is on at least that and he is as far from the first team match days as I am...
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

MOTM again for Ireland tonight. Going from strength to strength.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Please give this boy a nice long contract. It won't stop the sharks circling eventually, but it's fair and it might help build his affinity for us. If I was a key performer for my company and they kept me on low wages, I'd remember that.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

the celestial insect wrote:Please give this boy a nice long contract. It won't stop the sharks circling eventually, but it's fair and it might help build his affinity for us. If I was a key performer for my company and they kept me on low wages, I'd remember that.
Hopefully he’ll break into the England team whilst with us - dg
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

thejackhammer wrote:
"the celestial insect"]Please give this boy a nice long contract. It won't stop the sharks circling eventually, but it's fair and it might help build his affinity for us. If I was a key performer for my company and they kept me on low wages, I'd remember that.

Hopefully he’ll break into the England team whilst with us - dg
Haha nice to see how on the ball our owners are isn't it. As I have stated before sometimes being totally out of touch with reality can help you be successful in business the fear of failure would be too daunting. At least when Gold talked about us being Champions League he probably wasn't actually intentially lying he was just being completely delusional. He probably wonders why Southgate hadn't selected Lanzini.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Het-Field wrote:MOTM again for Ireland tonight. Going from strength to strength.

Quick check on Google says he played Defensive Midfield, can this confirmed? It's the position I've held for a while now that it's his best position not centre back although very capable that he is there.

I wonder whether Pellegrini will pick up on this during his time as our manager..
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Colours never run wrote:
Quick check on Google says he played Defensive Midfield, can this confirmed? It's the position I've held for a while now that it's his best position not centre back although very capable that he is there.

I wonder whether Pellegrini will pick up on this during his time as our manager..
Played DM, looked good. A little tough to tell since he was in a side of veterans against what was basically the American U-20 without Pulisic, so he didn't have to face any pacey, skilled attacking midfielders. Wish Pulisic had played as that would be a test against the caliber of AM he'd face for us.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

More telling is he was apparently Man of the Match for Ireland. It bodes well and I'm keen to see him play more there than at the back where I don't think he looks as natural as he does protecting it and driving forward making decent passes in the middle of the park.

With his youthfulness, high energy and ability on the ball would have complimented our centre midfield more than the likes of Kouyate, ironically who I always felt would have been better suited at the back.

I have a suspicion he wouldn't do much worse than what Dier has done for Spurs since he was converted into a midfielder. And no, I'm not saying we shouldn't continue looking for an established experienced DM anyway should one come alone ie a Carvalho. But it is something to chew over in time to come.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

needs a new contract one of our best young players, actually the only young player we have who is doing well.

we do need an experienced CDM such as Carvalho . maybe pelle will play 2 DM in which case rice could be the one.

one of the first things we should be doing is new contracts for rice and lanzini and sign Mario up.

These should in theory be the easy things to get done as opposed to new transfers in/out
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I give it a year before he moves on. This will be the season everyone look at him and realises just how good he is.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

I said earlier in the thread, is he the answer to our midfield issues and we don't even have to look further afield. The main thing is with him he seems humble, down to earth, learning from his mistakes, taking things well ie like when Moyes hauled off, sign of someone a lot older than his years.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Colours never run wrote:

Yep. DM.

This guy looks very comfortable already at PL and International level. He may well be the holding midfielder that we need, and we might get him for gratis. To see a player at 19 look so strong and comfortable at both levels is breathtaking.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

I just hope he's better advised than Oxford appears to be.
norse
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 835 likes

Post by norse »

e-20 wrote:Haha nice to see how on the ball our owners are isn't it. As I have stated before sometimes being totally out of touch with reality can help you be successful in business the fear of failure would be too daunting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I wonder if Pellegrini is thinking of playing Rice in defensive midfield too. Hence why that is the one position we haven't been linked with anyone yet? Might explain the Marlon Santos potential signing too. As he looks a similar centre half to Rice. Albeit a bit shorter (Rice isn't that tall himself). Don't get me wrong we need a centre half anyway after losing Collins. But for me this wasn't as urgent as signing a midfielder.

I persoanlly hope we make a decision on what position he plays and stick to it. Don't mess him around. Even if we believe he has a strong mentality. As I can see us using him like Dier at Sp*rs. I.e. Taking in turns to play in different positions.
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

Eric Dier is a poor mans Declan Rice. We have an absolute gem on our hands here. Please treat him well West Ham.
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

lets hope he kicks on this coming season. must start every game
Stumpy

Post by Stumpy »

he is a stunning centre back who can pass a ball,,why try and turn him into any thing else..that would be stupid..