Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by Colours never run »

Ozza wrote:It's not Declan you need to worry about, it's Sully's eyes growing and his hands sweating if City come calling
Since he's been here, our track record of holding on to our best, most valued players is generally very good. And he didn't even want to get rid of Payet or Arnautovic now, that's a decision that's been ultimately taken by the managers.

When we had Brown on the other hand, he couldn't wait to sell our best by comparison.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

not sure I agree with that.... certainly the Payet stuff stank, they were touting him around plenty before it all kicked off, then all the stuff was released via the usual mouth pieces to force it.

Everyone else we've had, has been to old, to injured or to ****
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Ozza wrote:not sure I agree with that.... certainly the Payet stuff stank, they were touting him around plenty before it all kicked off, then all the stuff was released via the usual mouth pieces to force it.

Everyone else we've had, has been to old, to injured or to ****
if they had really wanted to sell Payet they could have got about 50m after the Euros. All they would have needed to do was make it clear to the big Euro clubs he was up for grabs and the bids would have come in.

They ended up selling him for half that.

I would also argue it is in their best interests financially to hang on for Rice for at least 18 months. Yes, of course, there is the small risk he gets injured but 100 odd games and England caps under his belt and he will go for more.

However, if Man City suddenly offered £70m or something like that, I imagine must owners would be interested in selling at that price
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:How the hell have we gone from letting Tomkins go to letting this kid play?
Exhibit A
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

MP keeping Rice and Grady's feet on the floor.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/01 ... rived-yet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The new Scott Parker - striding alone in midfield like King Canute trying to stem the ****ing tide and win the game, all on his own.

Poor ****er.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

bubbles1966 wrote:The new Scott Parker - striding alone in midfield like King Canute trying to stem the ****ing tide and win the game, all on his own.

Poor ****er.
Rice is great for 19, but he's no Parker at this point. He has flaws in his game (pace, passing under pressure being the 2 big ones) that need protecting, which the league is starting to figure out. Sadly we don't have the midfield personnel to protect him.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1293 likes

Post by davids cross »

Disgrace that he has dropped to page 3.

My bestest, bestest player..... :)
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Must confess I find the long wait to decide which country to represent is starting to look a bit odd. Is there something specific he's waiting on? It's not that important. Just which colour shirt you're going to be wearing when you feel a brief disappointment every 2 years.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Another stand out performance yesterday.

Astonishing level of progress which is perhaps best understood when it's remembered that he was always the first to get hooked if it was going badly under Slav and even at the start of this season under Pellegrini.

It doesn't happen now. his level of performance doesn't allow for it.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Will be in the running for the PFA Young Player of the Year in the end of season awards.

Him, Neves and David Brooks probably the three serious contenders if they don't want to be lazy and hand it to Alli again.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1308 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

bubbles1966 wrote:Another stand out performance yesterday.

Astonishing level of progress which is perhaps best understood when it's remembered that he was always the first to get hooked if it was going badly under Slav and even at the start of this season under Pellegrini.

It doesn't happen now. his level of performance doesn't allow for it.
So Bilic protected him when he wasn't good enough, and now he's reaping the benefits you say? :arry:
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

if hes still with us in 2-3 years, i will be absolutely gobsmacked
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1970 likes
Total likes: 1654 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Aceface wrote:Will be in the running for the PFA Young Player of the Year in the end of season awards.

Him, Neves and David Brooks probably the three serious contenders if they don't want to be lazy and hand it to Alli again.
nah, be someone like Leroy Sane or that...they're still young enough.............

:x
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

if hes still here in 2 years time i will be very surprised and very happy

was talking to an academy coach last night and only 2 out of 12 coaches thought he was worth offering a scholarship too when he was young - luckily the 2 got their way !
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 871 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Aceface wrote:Will be in the running for the PFA Young Player of the Year in the end of season awards.

Maybe I'm wearing my claret and blue tinted specs but I see him as an absolute shoe-in. He is very special.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1293 likes

Post by davids cross »

£200 million.

Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Maybe I'm wearing my claret and blue tinted specs but I see him as an absolute shoe-in. He is very special.
Cuenca is right that Sane is still young enough to qualify, so I'd say it would be a surprise were he not to win it. If they win the title he'll probably deserve it too. That said, 23 is probably a touch too high a cut-off point for a youth award.

If you're feeling bored, here's a pop quiz – name the 5 players who have appeared for West Ham who have previously won PFA Young Player of the Year. (Hints: Only two of them won it while they were playing for us. And one player who is currently at the club has won it).
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 871 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Mervyn Day was one.
Whufc06
Has liked: 121 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Current one must be Wilshere?