Declan Rice

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Re: Declan Rice

Post by pezza20 »

Hart had a good game today - pulled off some good saves, but the Rice mistake was precisely that - the ball was past him before he even saw it and any defender will tell you, the ball comes in you deal with it, you never, ever leave it even if you hear a call. The cross was an absolute nothing ball, no pace and no danger until he pulled his head out of the way - but he knew he's ****ed up - he'll learn. He was exceptional again aside from that mistake.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Colours never run wrote:My one little wish I've got for the future of Rice in the team is being afforded to make mistakes from time to time. It's only natural considering he's only just starting out.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Encouraged by the reaction to his mistake :thup:

How old is he? 19? He’ll make them, and we need to rally behind him. Been superb this year anyway.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Mistakes happen - shame it was a crucial one, but that is part of being a defender
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

He will learn from it..and he wil make other mistakes.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Would he have been starting had Collins not been sat in the stands with the away support today or if Reid ever climbed off the treatment table?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Gerblatz wrote:He will learn from it..and he wil make other mistakes.
Your right. All the "arm round the shoulders" won't make a blind bit of difference. You just hope he doesn't make the some ones twice.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

the pink palermo wrote:Would he have been starting had Collins not been sat in the stands with the away support today or if Reid ever climbed off the treatment table?
Or if Sullivan didn't sell an experienced CB outside the transfer window.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Not sure why people want to blame hart, it was Declan's mistake, it happens.
Pob!
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by Pob! »

Because people want to blame Hart for everything..
Clearly Rice ****ed up..
He's young and it happens just learn from it and move on.
Definitely wasn't Harts' fault
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

If that mistake makes him a better player for the next few years we’re able to hold onto him then it’s a small price to play. The bloke is absolute class.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Alvin Martin was a nightmare early doors. Tony Adams was the "donkey". Both had managers prepared to allow them to make mistakes. If Rice ends up as good as them he will be worth 40 million by the end of next season

I reckon he has got the lot personally.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

How the hell have we gone from letting Tomkins go to letting this kid play?
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

bubbles1966 wrote:How the hell have we gone from letting Tomkins go to letting this kid play?
Rice is showing more potential now than Tomkins ever did.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1993 likes
Total likes: 1669 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:How the hell have we gone from letting Tomkins go to letting this kid play?

10M sovs....?????

AND let Fonte go (not that I thought he was brilliant), an older head, experienced player who one would "rather" have in these circumstances than Rice. Admittedly he will make mistakes, most CB's are not starters in the PL at his age, even Citeh only got Foden on when they were 4-0 up. And he's a midfielder with other quality players around him. They can afford to let him make mistakes without it hurting them.

I actually ask myself why Cresswell is the third CB to be honest....he's no longer a decent FB let alone a CB.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Alvin Martin was a nightmare early doors. Tony Adams was the "donkey". Both had managers prepared to allow them to make mistakes. If Rice ends up as good as them he will be worth 40 million by the end of next season

I reckon he has got the lot personally.

Even Rio suffered from the occasional brain fart learning his trade. It happens and it's perfectly understandable when players first start out at such a young age at the top level.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

You can clearly hear Joe Hart shout 'OUT' on the TV.

You can also lipread the conversation the two had with each other afterwards with Joe Hart basically saying 'I said OUT' but Declan Rice thought he said 'LEAVE IT'.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Lincolnhammer92 wrote:Rice is showing more potential now than Tomkins ever did.
The kid is showing no more potential than Tomkins or Anton.

It's the same sort of claptrap that pretends Noble is the new Brooking when he's always been Pike or Dickens.

We're going nowhere until we're honest about these things and ignore the flannel that will get peddled by Fagin and Scrooge.
Daddy p

Post by Daddy p »

Can’t believe that comment opened your eyes and watch the games when u go .Rice is a quality player in 3 or 4 years r future captain if we can keep hold of him. Don’t think we’re keep him though so many clubs will b trying to sign him, he has a massive future just praying we keep him.
Colours never run

The only issue I've got with him is whether he's probably better suited to Defensive midfield rather than just a Centre Half. I think he looks more natural inntjat position. That said, I dont have major concerns about him playing at centre back either.

The boy is the real deal and only going to get better from now. Nowhere near the finished article but my god how impressive he has been to date under the circumstances. He has a lot of responsibility to take on his young shoulders and for the most part deals with it excellently.