West Ham Utd 2-0 Huddersfield Town (11/09/17)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby hammerman11 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:47 am

I thought we had a lot on the floor with some great play by iron mic. I would agree we tend to overdo the ball to carroll but they couldnt handle him so why not.

a good performance and it seems no pleasing some people. maybe watch barca on the floor all the time but you make the best of the players you have.

against wba I would play on the floor and save carroll for spurs.However I expect bilic to play him and a 1-0 away win
hammerman11
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 am

Tony Pulis will be licking his lips, at the prospect of us turning up with a repeat of this game plan.
User avatar
somerset-hammer
 
Posts: 3758
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:05 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby ChazHammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 am

somerset-hammer wrote:Tony Pulis will be licking his lips, at the prospect of us turning up with a repeat of this game plan.


Presumably because you think they'll beat us...?
I think that if we play like we did against Huddersfield, then we have a decent chance against WBA personally...

I get that people want us to win through passing football, but if we started trying to play like Arsenal, we'd get crucified. I'm all for mixing it up a bit more and not always going long but when you lose 3 on the trot you get hammered, and then when a win comes along, you get hammered too...too much bloody hammering from the hammers :P
User avatar
ChazHammer
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 7:33 am

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 am

ChazHammer wrote:
Presumably because you think they'll beat us...?


Not necessarily Chaz, just that Pulis and his back line of CB's usually tend to deal with Carroll.
User avatar
somerset-hammer
 
Posts: 3758
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:05 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby the pink palermo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:08 am

somerset-hammer wrote:Tony Pulis will be licking his lips, at the prospect of us turning up with a repeat of this game plan.


Me too, it's why I'm sticking with my prediction of 4 points from our first 6 matches .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 36675
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Whining is what we are here for

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby 'stone hammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:15 am

Really impressed with the performance, considering how half-arsed the Newcastle and Man U games were. Thoroughly earned that win. Fair play to Huddersfield, they didn't do much but I think they'll just about stay up
This season.

Only negative for me out of our players was Kouyate; can't really remember him doing much apart from fluffing a chance. Maybe I need to watch more closely. Obiang on the other hand snuffed out virtually everything. Is he typically a DM? I had him down as more of a playmaker, but decent tackler regardless.
User avatar
'stone hammer
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:28 pm
Location: Computer chair

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby spod on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:17 am

Recently we've faltered against pressing teams - how many goals have we given away this season already through a rushed, misplaced pass or a poor bit of control?
If you don't trust yourself to pass out of the press, route on is your next best option, and against Huddersfield we did it well. It wasn't aimless hoofball. Most of the passes were well targeted.

I'm pretty sure we won't play the same way against West Brom, mind.
User avatar
spod
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:28 am
Location: London

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:27 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Surprised to read so many were happy with what they watched on Monday night .

A good result , but launching the ball forward, bypassing midfield, isn't really that sophisticated is it ?

Not if we are being honest with ourselves

We play on the floor ? .


I enjoyed it, as for me most were not launches, as it dropped on one of our nuts, so they ere long passes, plus Bilic cam out and explained the tactics, and all made more sense. It made for a decent game for me, saying that, if after the next few games, even if we win, we have played that way, then there was no point getting the little man up top, and I will be pissed at watching that type of football week in week out.
User avatar
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
 
Posts: 9438
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:28 am

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby Fishdo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Surprised to read so many were happy with what they watched on Monday night .

A good result , but launching the ball forward, bypassing midfield, isn't really that sophisticated is it ?

Not if we are being honest with ourselves

We play on the floor ? .


But Pinkie doesn't that only add credence to the fact it was a mistake that Sully made but not sticking his hand in his pocket for Carvalho or someone similar... or even a loan

Without Manu or Arnie to take some pressure off the midfield and with what we have wasn't it the most pragmatic way to approach the game ?
Fishdo
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby Hamburger on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 pm

.
Great to see Antonio given a bit of freedom. He was all over the place and a right handful. He's wasted isolated wide right but when he cut in he created havoc. Just don't get Bilic's idiotic need to play players out of their comfort zone. It's clear Antonio thrives on being a 'marauder' and is often our best player (as well as top scorer) so don't play him out on the corner flag ffs. Putting Hernandez left wing another blunder, you could see he was pissed off. Are we building a team around sick note Carroll now?
.
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 pm
Location: Sidcup

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby mushy on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:29 pm

hammerman11 wrote:I thought we had a lot on the floor with some great play by iron mic. I would agree we tend to overdo the ball to carroll but they couldnt handle him so why not.


Carroll did win a lot in the air and Collins especially did kick it long to him, but did anything much come of that style of play?
My recollection was that most of the headers won were knocked on to Huddersfield players, did our most prolific tactic from Monday produce anything much in the way of chances?
mushy
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby the pink palermo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Fishdo wrote:But Pinkie doesn't that only add credence to the fact it was a mistake that Sully made but not sticking his hand in his pocket for Carvalho or someone similar... or even a loan

Without Manu or Arnie to take some pressure off the midfield and with what we have wasn't it the most pragmatic way to approach the game ?

I'm inclined to agree , it's why I've made a point of commenting .

The Manager is working with what he has, not what he wishes he had .

I like the fact we got the ball in their box a lot , it's how we got it there and who was running in, or not, to get on the end of things .

Stylisitically we're a bit of a mess .Winning ugly is fine every now and again , in fact it's an essential skill , but I'd be very surprised if people were happy to pay to watch it every week .

Providing nobody gets injured against West Brom I expect the first we'll see of Slav's true first XI is against Spurs .

The players will know who's got the shirt then .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 36675
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Whining is what we are here for

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby Beavis Danzig on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm

huddersfield are a special case where i expect far more confident and well put together teams than ours to assume similar tactics. they are a poundland borussia dortmund and their whole game is smothering you through the middle, we used tactics which completely nullified what they do best and left the shop with a pocketful of points.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Beavis Danzig
 
Posts: 3630
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby nr637 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm

West Ham United 2 - 0 Huddersfield Town
Venue: London Stadium (London)
Attendance: 56,977

Watching the game on TV it was amazing to see the amount of empty seats amongst the crowd all over the stadium. I reckon you could take at least 20,000 off the figure above. I know they will repeat that the figure includes season ticket holders, but the actual tickets that were scanned in on the night!
Image

Anyone able to find an official attendance figure instead of the standard stadium issue, 56,000+........
nr637
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 am

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby wildkard on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 pm

20k off! Not likely. A few thousand more like. The fact that people were moving back into empty seats away from the front probably made it look worse than it was. Will probably be around 30k for the Bolton game mind you.
wildkard
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:55 pm

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby Morocco Mole on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Korea Hammer wrote:I agree with Das Nut Lock, I thought we were fantastic, especially in the first half. Pace, power, aggression and sheer will to win, reminiscent of the good old days under Sa...well, anyway, I loved it.

Fonte's best game for us for ages.


Allardyce would've got slaughtered for playing like that and I am amused at the number of posters suddenly applauding our "high energy", "mixing it up" "direct" football. :)

I couldn't care less personally, you play to your strengths and we don't have a squad of one and two touch passers. A good win and performance....especially without the ball.
User avatar
Morocco Mole
 
Posts: 14662
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:31 pm
Location: Lazy Gator with Uncle C and The Dentist....

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby Humbug on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:58 pm

I didn't think the direct hoof ball to AC worked very well because they were expecting that and were cleaning any 'knock-ons' quite easily. It's when we started making runs down the wings and crossing closer to their goal lines that gave them lots of trouble (because they can't watch the player and the ball trajectory at the same time). AC's general play and short passes on the ground and closing down of their defenders made a lot of difference and 'showed' the way to the rest. We won that game because we were stronger, fitter and battled for everything for 94 mins but I doubt we can do the same for another 34 games. Imho, we will still need to make things happen playing intelligent football (ie. players knowing when to make a run behind or through the defence confident that their teammate can make the quality pass).
Humbug
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby hammerdivone on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 pm

nr637 wrote:Image


You've posted a photo from around 30 minutes before kick-off to back up your point?

This was taken about 7 minutes before kick-off

Image

At kick off it was pretty much full although it did empty a bit due to the rain though
User avatar
hammerdivone
 
Posts: 21279
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:55 pm
Location: Somewhere between here and reality

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby YorksHammer on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm

mushy wrote:Carroll did win a lot in the air


14 out of 17 aerial battles, according to Whoscored.
YorksHammer
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Postby Colours never run on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 pm

hammerman11 wrote:I thought we had a lot on the floor with some great play by iron mic. I would agree we tend to overdo the ball to carroll but they couldnt handle him so why not.

a good performance and it seems no pleasing some people. maybe watch barca on the floor all the time but you make the best of the players you have.

against wba I would play on the floor and save carroll for spurs.However I expect bilic to play him and a 1-0 away win



Exactly that.
User avatar
Colours never run
 
Posts: 8794
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:46 am
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

PreviousNext

Return to KUMB Match Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beavis Danzig, Colours never run, Google Adsense [Bot], inter me nan, Morocco Mole, WestHamByTheSea and 73 guests