The ones you thought would make it

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

The ones you thought would make it

Postby Ludeksgloves on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm

A thread dedicated to the young players you thought would go on a become big players for us, who instead fell off the map.

Ravel: After scoring THAT goal against spurs, I remember thinking that we had potentially one of the best players in the world on our hands (this was also based on Alex Ferguson's statement that he was the most talented player he had ever worked with)

Freddie Sears: I was even more certain about this boy than Ravel. After his debut goal against Blackburn I celebrated as if I had scored a debut West Ham goal myself. Then things went a bit stale...
Ludeksgloves

Re: The ones you thought would make it

Postby Turns to Stone on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Jordan Spence. In 2009 I thought he and Tomkins were going to be our centre-backs for the next 15 years.

:oops:
Turns to Stone

Postby Carlton'sGoal on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Blair Turgott - thought he'd break through and be a decent player for us, look at him now...
Carlton'sGoal

Postby Coops on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:37 pm

I think Ravel had the potential to be world class, but he didn't have the head for it.
Coops

Postby Kendal Iron on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Adam Newton - looked great in that cup winning youth team
Kendal Iron

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Ludeksgloves wrote:A thread dedicated to the young players you thought would go on a become big players for us, who instead fell off the map.

Ravel: After scoring THAT goal against spurs, I remember thinking that we had potentially one of the best players in the world on our hands (this was also based on Alex Ferguson's statement that he was the most talented player he had ever worked with)

Freddie Sears: I was even more certain about this boy than Ravel. After his debut goal against Blackburn I celebrated as if I had scored a debut West Ham goal myself. Then things went a bit stale...

I never got it with Sears. Credit to him for following up his initial scuffed effort v Blackburn to head in the re-bound, but he should have scored with his first shot. Too small and too lightweight, I always thought and it was no surprise to me he us always in and out of the Ipswich side. Think you will see him last somewhere like East Thurrock Utd within a few years. I did think, however, Zabon Hines was destined for better things, but alas no
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Carlton'sGoal on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Scott Canham
Carlton'sGoal

Postby Tenbury on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Dani.

A coupe of yards away from the greatest debut of all time.
Tenbury

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Kendal Iron wrote:Adam Newton - looked great in that cup winning youth team

Him ^^^^.
Mark Smith - great shame his career was ruined by injury early on. Saw his league debut against Swansea and he looked born to that left back position.
Mark (?) Schiavi - seemed to score a hat-trick every single week for the kids.
Jamie Victory.
DaveWHU1964

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:55 pm

George Dobson, although I am still oddly convinced that he'll captain England one day.
DasNutNock

Postby Ludeksgloves on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Carlton'sGoal wrote:Scott Canham

I knew there would be one :lol:
Ludeksgloves

Postby seaside hammer on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Lee Hodges

Those from East London would heard of him. He dominated school boys football.

This guy was like Messi in the WH youth team with Rio & co. I use to watch the team a fair bit as school friend was in the team and Hodges stood out a mile scoring for fun, dribbling length of pitch etc. Frank was average and Rio was class to watch. The rest is history.

Hodges played a couple of games and that was that.
seaside hammer

Postby jastons on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Elliot Ward. He made a big difference when he came into the team in the fizzy pop league, hardly played in the Premiership and then we sold him for a million quid.
jastons

Postby Coops on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:10 pm

I watched Southend play when Stanislas was on loan to them. He was the only bright spark in a very dreary game and I was really excited that he was ours. I know he has made it because he is a premier league player, but I thought he was going to be a real star for us.
Coops

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Had high hopes for Dan Potts after that debut against Barnsley, thought he looked assured throughout and just needed to fill out a bit more.
Happyhammer52

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Perhaps I'm being over critical but I always thought that Alan Dickens would turn out to be a much better player than he actually was for us - and talking of players being played out of position , Alan was moved up top to partner Tony Cottee while we looked for a replacement for Frank Mcavennie .

Kevin Lock was another who was billed as ' the next Bobby Moore ' the nearest he ever got was wearing the No 6 shirt .

Dudley Tyler - bought from the Hereford side which famously knocked Newcastle out of the FA Cup and who managed a draw with us in the next round , managed 29 appearances before being shipped back to Hereford .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby claretandblue82 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Savio :oops:
claretandblue82

Postby Exiledin cardiff on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:32 pm

There were two young players who I thought would go on and be stalwarts in the first team. The first has previously been mentioned, Jamie Victory, looked composed, good in the air fair on the ball and seemed to read the game well. Watched him a few times for Cheltenham, and know He was be was being watched by Cardiff City, but alas he came to nothing.

Second was a goal scoring machine Danny Shipp, like the Gary goals advert could score all types of goals, always seemed to be in the local press get good revues, but what did happen to him.
Exiledin cardiff

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Terry Dixon, the Irish Wayne Rooney, now plying his trade at Aylesbury. Still only 27, so he could still yet make it. Maybe, if he gave up the booze, it might help
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Westaam on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Mark Noble.

His career was headed the way of a reasonably well-off man's Paul Scholes until Curbs told him he didn't have the pace for attacking midfield, and the rest - all the attacking runs, all the goals, all the deft one-twos in the box that might have been - was history.
Last edited by Westaam on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westaam

Next

Return to General Discussion