The ones you thought would make it

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The ones you thought would make it

Postby umweb on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 am

stanislas for me out of the recent batch. talent and pace at a young age and was constantly improving until the combination of bad manager and injury limited his career. really happy for him that his hard work is paying off.
umweb

Postby hammerleroy on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Johnny Ayris. Saw his debut at home to Burnley and he laid on two of Hursties three. He looked about fourteen and even then I wondered what if he came up against someone like Chopper Harris. So basically I thought he would make it for about one game! Got a pearler up at Citeh later that season in a 3-4 defeat and never heard of him again! Someone should start a thread on here regarding "former Hammers what became of them" !!! :)
hammerleroy

Postby tavbet on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:56 am

Surprised no one has mentioned Robert Hall. At one stage he was being spoken of as a future England player. I take it that playing for Bolton is not classed as 'making it'.
tavbet

Postby Gormalysis on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:59 am

Freddie Sears and Sam Howes (will count him as he has now left) are the 2 I thought would be huge for us
Gormalysis

Postby upton o'good on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:23 am

Longaz wrote:Emmanuel Ommoyinmi after that 3-3 at Palace where he grabbed a double.

Yes, although he did achieve a certain level of fame - even had a gate named after him
upton o'good

Postby Brendan on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:45 am

Danny Williams, think we sold him to Everton for big money but injury prevented his progress and I think he retired.

Peter Grotier, played about 50 times during the Ferguson/Day era. Never really established as a number 1 goalkeeper.
Signed by Graham Taylor at Lincoln and made about 250 appearances, think he may have been signed by Howard Wilkonson at Grimsby. Signed by two England managers.
Brendan

Postby BristolBerkovic on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Grant McCann
on Football Manager 2000 this lad became European Player of the Year 5 years in a row.
BristolBerkovic

Postby SiamHammer on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Adam Newton and Lee Hodges are two that stand out for me.

Later on Freddie Sears and Zavon Hines
SiamHammer

Postby wizzo_66 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Hayden wrote:Jordan Spence

You've called it too early.

Playing in his proper position for Ipswich as a centre back or right side of a back 3 he's looking dominant in that league.

Why we kept flogging him at right back in league cup games I'll never know. Was a great kid as well, no attitude problems, totally committed.

He turns 28 next May - I reckon he's still got a crack at the Premier League just yet.
wizzo_66

Postby Ted Fenton on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:40 pm

hammerleroy wrote:Johnny Ayris

Didn't he develop a breathing/lung problem?
Ted Fenton

Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain

Postby Jim Aldgate on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Sam Westley. Just needed someone at the club to believe in him ....
Jim Aldgate

Postby djbubbles on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Was Shaun Byrne in that great youth side?
djbubbles

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Not knocking him, but Noble never lived up to my expectations.

Good committed captain, solid pro, who gives everything, but I honestly thought he would push on in his early twenties.

He's shown glimpses in the past, but is most definitly on the decline now, sadly.
somerset-hammer

Postby wizzo_66 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:16 pm

somerset-hammer wrote:Not knocking him, but Noble never lived up to my expectations.

Good committed captain, solid pro, who gives everything, but I honestly thought he would push on in his early twenties.

He's shown glimpses in the past, but is most definitly on the decline now, sadly.

It's a great shame so many people haven't been able to appreciate and enjoy Noble to the level of others that recognise what he brings to the game. To have a player of his passing ability at the club for 13 years and counting has been fantastic.

So, so many of our great moments in games over the last 10+ years have had him right in amongst it, whether it's a raking pass splitting a defence, a lovely reverse pass to open up space up for delivery, set pieces, or those back spin passes he lays over the top that bounce neatly for a forward running on to them, expectations well and truly met for me.

The problem we had with everything post 2000 was that we a) invested poorly b) didn't have the volume elsewhere to let the few youngsters we have shine and c) the pressures increased on short-termism with the PL money in that managers these days simply cannot afford to give someone a chance, let alone a second or third chance if they make a mistake early doors.

Getting Rio/Lampard/Cole/Defoe/Carrick all through at similar times was a freak that will never be repeated.
wizzo_66

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Wizzo, That wasn't a post knocking Noble or his abilities, I have enjoyed seeing a local lad captain our team and be apart of it for as long as he has.

I'm fully aware of his attributes and what he offers the team.

It's just at some point in the past I was convinced he would go that extra step, not quite as good as Lampard, or maybe Carrick but pretty close.

Love the guy, just expected him to progress more than he has.
somerset-hammer

Postby wizzo_66 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:28 pm

somerset-hammer wrote:
It's just at some point in the past I was convinced he would go that extra step, not quite as good as Lampard, or maybe Carrick but pretty close.

What I'm saying in that post as he may well have done - within the type of player he is - but the culture around the club for the last 17 years has prevented decent young players coming through and realising their potential.
wizzo_66

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:34 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:
What I'm saying in that post as he may well have done - within the type of player he is - but the culture around the club for the last 17 years has prevented decent young players coming through and realising their potential.

Possibly, wizzo.

I wonder how is career would of progressed if he had been at a bigger, more stable club.
somerset-hammer

Postby wizzo_66 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:54 pm

somerset-hammer wrote:
Possibly, wizzo.

I wonder how is career would of progressed if he had been at a bigger, more stable club.

Had Lampard been nailing down his first team place at the age of 22 year old surrounded by the likes of Kovac, Boa Morte, McCarthy and Spector rather than Di Canio, Sinclair, Kanoute, and his peers Cole, Carrick etc, he might have fared different.
wizzo_66

Postby Briggsy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Stephen Bywater, anyone?
Briggsy

Postby Samba on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 pm

hammerleroy wrote:Johnny Ayris. Saw his debut at home to Burnley and he laid on two of Hursties three. He looked about fourteen and even then I wondered what if he came up against someone like Chopper Harris.

He did indeed cross paths with Chopper Harris.
Didn't end well...
Samba

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion