The ones you thought would make it

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The ones you thought would make it

Postby Hayden on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:57 am

Jim Aldgate wrote:Sam Westley. Just needed someone at the club to believe in him ....

He deserved better. His U23 manager never had any faith in him and clearly had something against him, he never got the opportunities. He was kept back by people less deserving than him. I can’t think of a more saddening situation than when Andrea Zola was tearing it up in our Academy.

As long as we didn’t stunt his professional growth too much I have faith that he will one day lead the England team out on to the pitch. I could see us paying an exorbitant amount for him in the future just to bring him ‘home’. Wouldn’t surprise me if we brought the number 6 out of retirement for him too.
Hayden

Postby hammerleroy on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:54 am

Re Johnny Ayris: Thanks Samba I'll have to look that one up!!! :)
hammerleroy

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:13 am

Samba wrote:
He did indeed cross paths with Chopper Harris.
Didn't end well...

It certainly did not. I was there and remember it well. It took Harris three attempts mind to commit GBH. Little Johnny Ayris on the wing, showed him up by slipping past his first attempt, then Harris got a little bit of him with his second, but Ayris still had the ball and was about to leave him behind, but now, looking a bit of a fool, made sure he would not take any more humiliation by clattering him into the Chicken Run
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:21 am

PS to my post. Harris once tried exactly the same manoeuvre on the legendary George Best Only Best had just a little more skill and technique than Ayris and made a complete monkey of Chopper, by leaving him sitting on his arse as he drew the keeper and dribbled it into the net
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby lukechadwick on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 am

Remember being really excited when we signed joey Beauchamp, look how that played out! And for some reason I really liked the look of Franck Nouble. Not gonna give up my day job!
lukechadwick

Postby AnyOldIron on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:04 am

I played against Chopper Harris in a charity veteran's tournament in South London about 20 years ago & absolutely clattered him almost straight from the kick off
He snarled & gave it the "do you know who you are messing with" bit, and laughed and replied that I did, & that was payback for Johnny Ayris.
He didn't come near me again for the rest of the match (he did buy me a pint in the bar afterwards though) ;)
AnyOldIron

Postby chykken on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:51 pm

Hannu Tihinen, especially after that game with Barthez giving us a wave! Goes down as one of Arry's potluck whizzers.
chykken

Postby Vicboy1960 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Interesting thread. I was at the game where Harris took out Ayris and can still remember little Johnny hitting the turf chest first. It gave him an air bubble on the lung and he was never the same again.

Also, early in the thread someone mentioned Nicky Morgan. I went thriough school with him and he was a big, fit boy but I seem to recal that not long after his full debut, when he scored the winner against Charlton, he went on a night out and ended up nicking a milk float! That was the beginning of the end for him at West Ham, as that was unacceptable behaviour for the club.

I thought of Morgan when I read about Aguero this week. Yes, Agureo did nothing wrong but his night out was a private jet to see a pop concert abroad. Morgan's night out was drinking in East London and then piloting a milk float arund the deserted streets. Things have certainly changed.
Vicboy1960

Postby Joyeux Marteau on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Henri Lansbury - I thought after his loan period he would go on to bigger and better, just does not seemed to have happened for him.

Also Carl Jenkinson, that first season with West Ham was great, the second season not so much. Currently on loan at Birmingham. Might just be a good solution for right back if he doesn't get booked as much!
Joyeux Marteau

Postby Rio on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 pm

Adam Newton was the one for me.

I also thought Callum Davenport would be an England international based on his initial loan spell here
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 am

Article on Ravel Morrison on the BBC about him being in Mexico

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41258834
hammerdivone

Postby GreenIron on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 pm

hammerdivone wrote:Article on Ravel Morrison on the BBC about him being in Mexico

I can remember watching him from the BMU. Not sure who it was against. Spurs? He did one run from the halfway line to the box with the ball at his feet and I remember thinking it was the best football player I'd ever seen.

By the time he was heading out the door, I'd become frustrated with him and thought he was a tosser.

Now I just feel sad for him. A kid with so much talent whose upbringing didn't allow him to display it and reap the rewards for him and the likes of us.

As Big Sam said, "the biggest waste of talent I ever worked with".

Hope he gets it together one day but it'll have to be soon or he'll have wasted his whole career.
GreenIron

Postby claretandblue82 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:20 am

hammerdivone wrote:Article on Ravel Morrison on the BBC about him being in Mexico

Wants to keep himself out of trouble there. The gangs out there will make his wannabe gangster mates look like pre-schoolers!
claretandblue82

Postby szola on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:49 pm

chykken wrote:Hannu Tihinen, especially after that game with Barthez giving us a wave! Goes down as one of Arry's potluck whizzers.

He has had a good career after leaving. Won the league both in Belgium and Switzerland, on several occasions.
szola

Postby claretandblue82 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Hayden wrote:He deserved better. His U23 manager never had any faith in him and clearly had something against him, he never got the opportunities. He was kept back by people less deserving than him. I can’t think of a more saddening situation than when Andrea Zola was tearing it up in our Academy.

As long as we didn’t stunt his professional growth too much I have faith that he will one day lead the England team out on to the pitch. I could see us paying an exorbitant amount for him in the future just to bring him ‘home’. Wouldn’t surprise me if we brought the number 6 out of retirement for him too.

He will be a footballing phoenix! Rising through the leagues, leading out England to the 2022 World Cup final, scoring the winner and becoming a football legend. He'll be the one that got away. Good luck to him if he can actually find a club!!
claretandblue82

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Was only talking about Ravel Morrison the other day. What a complete and utter waste of talent. Someone who has natural talent in abundance but would prefer to be a gangsta instead. What a ****ing idiot. My Aussie mate is a tattoo artist and he tattooed him shortly before he did some work on me, and told me about his couple of hours in the chair. A complete tool, who in-between squealing like a baby because of the pain, took great delight in telling everyone in the shop how he earned much more than they will ever earn in their lives. Sounds like a complete helmet.

TootingRob wrote:Stuart Slater

I always though Stuart Slater was a great player and certainly one of the best wingers we had in the 90s. Some games that spring to mind were the 2-1 over Everton in the cup and a game against Sunderland under the lights where we beat them 5-0 and he played out of his skin. I work with a Celtic fan who says he was the biggest pile of crap when he went up to Scotland (on the advice of Liam Brady) and never really recovered after that.

Puff Daddy wrote:Terry Dixon, the Irish Wayne Rooney

He was only part Irish. His old man was English as they come. I used to drink with his old man and his brother in Tottenham and Wood Green (I could tell some horrendous stories about what we go up to but won't :oops: ) and could see what a talent he was. Sadly, it was never to be and he chose the past of alcohol and illegal substances instead. I can sort of see why living in Tottenham in the late 90s and early 2000s the place was rife with drugs and if you didn’t have a strong mind it was so easy to get involved in all that.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Pango on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:29 pm

With regards Freddie Sears ... saw his debut .... and at the end of it said ' he'll never be good enough for West Ham'. I'm staggered to hear if anyone thought otherwise .....

Same for Steve Jones and Frank Nouble. Clear as day not up to standard.
Pango

Postby sanchoz on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Leo Chambers. Still has time...........
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Pango wrote:With regards Freddie Sears ... saw his debut .... and at the end of it said ' he'll never be good enough for West Ham'. I'm staggered to hear if anyone thought otherwise .....

Same for Steve Jones and Frank Nouble. Clear as day not up to standard.

Sears looked far too lightweight and he really should have done better on his first attempt.

I remember Steve Jones scoring a great goal one night in a mid-week game. That's all I remember about him. Oh and he worked in a perfume factory or something ???
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Ben on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Scored a nice goal out there
https://instagram.com/p/BaBA2yghiO_/
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion