The Big 6

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

The Big 6

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:25 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41494042

This will happen,other clubs have no choice.And the gap becomes even bigger.
bubbles500

Re: The Big 6

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:31 am

bubbles500 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41494042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This will happen,other clubs have no choice.And the gap becomes even bigger.

Why do they have no choice?
Mega Ron

Postby szola on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:41 am

English teams, as opposed to Scottish, Spanish, German and French teams, would not split form their domestic leagues.

Celtic, Real Madrid, Bayern München, PSG are a different category than the Manchesters, Liverpools and London-Russians
szola

Postby Danny's Dyer Acting on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:44 am

Scudamore presented his plan - which would see 35% of the revenue divided according to league position - to the 14 other clubs last week. But it has been met with resistance and, with a two-thirds majority required to approve any changes, he now faces a major challenge to broker some form of agreement.

Danny's Dyer Acting

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:46 am

Because if the Big 6 split,the PL Essentially becomes an enhanced championship and teams left be lucky to get £20m a year.Under this idea money halved but we’d still get £55m.Which is obviously better than £20m but still ****'s G&S.
bubbles500

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:47 am

Only if you're gullible enough to believe the 'big 6' are going anywhere. They're not.
Mega Ron

Postby fmgod on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 am

If this happens it will be the death of English football, it's bad enough as it is with basically three divisions in the Premier its self. To push the six further ahead with a higher percentage of the TV money is ridiculous.
fmgod

Postby flakwell hammer on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:55 am

the big Spanish teams have always brokered their own TV deals and are therefore are so much richer than the rest of La Liga.

However it has made the league very weak and therefore Barca and Real are now reconsidering things and more than likely will switch to a model similar to ours.

i cant see things changing too much because if they did the gap between the big 6 and the rest of the league will be ridiculous and the premeir league will become like the rest of European leagues.
the Premier league is so popular world wide because it is still reasonably competitive start changing that AND ITS ****ed.
flakwell hammer

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:02 pm

I’m torn tbh.Obviously would be a disaster for us.But at the end of the day the vast majority of people watch PL to see those 6 clubs.If someone brings out a film,you wouldn’t expect every actor to be paid the same.PL is essentially entertainment,therefore it’s biggest draws should in essence receive a larger slice of the cake.In the short term them leaving would be disastrous for us.But in the long term it would be much more fun.
bubbles500

Postby JerseyHammer on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 pm

There won't be any breakaway league as it'd impact too much on the Champions League.

As for the "big 6", it's in the league's interest to keep it even here, for the reasons flakwell pointed out though I'm sure the clubs will get their way eventually.

I'm just glad I've got Sampdoria down the road, some of their first team earn less than 8 grand a week and I can have a pint whilst watching footy.
JerseyHammer

Postby sanchoz on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Eleven Premier League clubs want TV revenue overhaul

Premier League club bosses are gathering in London on Wednesday for what some sources are describing as the most important meeting in the top flight’s history since its creation in 1992.

The summit has been called to vote on Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore’s plan to change the way clubs share the proceeds from international broadcasting rights.

Under pressure from the so-called “big six”, Scudamore wants 35 per cent of that income to be distributed as “merit” payments based on league position.

This revenue is currently shared equally and last season every club earned just over £39million from the league’s more than 80 foreign deals.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, the two Manchester clubs and Tottenham believe they deserve more of this income, which is heading towards £1billion a year, because of their greater popularity.

Based on last year’s figures, Scudamore’s plan would have increased Chelsea’s take as champions – and decreased rock-bottom Sunderland’s – by more than £12million.

Tenders for the next three-year period – 2019 to 2021 – go out later this year but deals for Brazil, China, sub-Saharan Africa and the United States have already been agreed, with the value rising by 1,000 per cent in China.

For the last 25 years, most clubs’ biggest source of revenue have been domestic rights but, with analysts predicting a more modest increase next year than the 70 per cent uplifts Scudamore secured in 2012 and 2015, international rights are where the biggest upside is.

Domestic deals bring in £5.14billion, with one third shared equally, another third distributed on merit and the final chunk dished out in “facility fees” when a club’s match is televised. Last season, this worked out at £1.9million a place in the table and £1.2million per game.

Coupled with even splits of the overseas income and the league’s commercial rights, this meant the Premier League’s shared revenue was distributed on a 1.5 to 1 ratio from top to bottom, a much more equitable split than any of the league’s European rivals.

It is also more equitable than was intended in 1992, as overseas rights were negligible then. The league’s aristocrats want to restore the original 2:1 ratio for shared income and claim they are why rights are so valuable from Bangkok to Boston.

Any change to the status quo needs a two-thirds majority, or 14 of the 20 clubs, and it is understood a middle-class trio of Everton, Leicester and West Ham have indicated they will vote with the big six.

The other 11, however, appear to be deeply opposed.

They point to the huge advantage the richest clubs already have from their commercial deals and access to European competitions, and say the league’s relative competitiveness is what makes it so popular abroad.

Press Association Sport has contacted these clubs and, while most declined to comment or said they would not do so until after the meeting, two said they were strongly against any change to how overseas income is split.

This represents a headache for Scudamore, who has run the top flight since 1999, as he believes a united front is essential as the league heads into next year’s rights negotiations.

One possible compromise is for the clubs to lock in this season’s projected revenue split of 1.6:1 and share a smaller portion of the overseas broadcast revenue on merit.

Failure to agree any change will prompt the big six to explore options for selling their own rights and revive talk of a European Super League.

As well as the foreign rights debate, the clubs will also discuss tweaking the amount of money relegated clubs get in parachute payments.

Brought in to encourage promoted clubs to invest in their squads to compete in the Premier League, the payments soften the blow of relegation and have grown markedly in recent years.

Some leading Premier League clubs, though, believe some English Football League owners have pocketed the cash after short stays in the top flight.

As a result, they believe payments should be tied to how long clubs stay in the league, with a full allocation going to those who spent four seasons in the top division down to a single payment for clubs who last one year.

http://www.football365.com/news/eleven- ... e-overhaul
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby EastBrisHammer on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:18 pm

bubbles500 wrote:I’m torn tbh.Obviously would be a disaster for us.But at the end of the day the vast majority of people watch PL to see those 6 clubs.If someone brings out a film,you wouldn’t expect every actor to be paid the same.PL is essentially entertainment,therefore it’s biggest draws should in essence receive a larger slice of the cake.In the short term them leaving would be disastrous for us.But in the long term it would be much more fun.

I see it very differently. Without West Ham, West Brom, Bournemouth, Everton, etc. you don't have a very interesting league. If it was just the top six teams people would get bored very quickly. Football teams are dependent on each other to create the entertainment and each team has its part to play. So if you just widen the gap you dilute your product. Using your film analogy, its rarely just a single actor that makes a film great - its usually the story, the main cast, the direction and production, the support cast, etc. The film industry has made the mistake before of chucking money at big names and producing a duff film. Let's not do it in football...the Top 6 get higher revenues already lets not widen it.

And besides, you cannot compare football to any other business - West Ham is an inferior product but I love West Ham all the same. You cannot say that about many other things in life.
EastBrisHammer

Postby Happyhammer52 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Mega Ron wrote:Only if you're gullible enough to believe the 'big 6' are going anywhere. They're not.

Somewhat agree, but don't think it is out the realms of possibility that you could well have the situation where Champions League or a Super League would have fixtures on a Saturday taking priority over Premiership fixtures.
Happyhammer52

Postby Ozza on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Got a question what is the financial difference between winning the champions league and the prem?
Ozza

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:44 pm

EastBrisHammer wrote:If it was just the top six teams people would get bored very quickly.

A point often overlooked. They may not win much, but the other 14 teams are every bit as important in the grand scheme of things.

Do turkeys often vote for Christmas?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Why the issue with the scum clubs forming their own relegation-free league against the rest of Europe's bankrolled big boys? They already have all the money and influence. I'm not sure I see the problem. Wouldn't we take less money to pay players of average ability if it meant we weren't trying to compete with that bunch of trillionaire's playthings?

Just imagine a domestic league without the red scouse filth.
DasNutNock

Postby mushy on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind West Ham voting with the big six?
Surely they dont actually believe we will be one of the big six do they?
Our money would be cut if this goes through and yet we are in favour, I dont understand.
mushy

Postby frankiemac on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:48 pm

would be the beginning of the end

teams cant compete now...push more money to the elite in terms of tv cash...that will mean they will also get the bigger sponsorship deals...better players etc

its already like this to a certain extent, it just widens the gap and makes it even more of a chasm
frankiemac

Postby Ozza on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:50 pm

mushy wrote:Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind West Ham voting with the big six?
Our money would be cut if this goes through and yet we are in favour, I dont understand.

only angle I can think of, is that they are trying to stop the big 6 from leaving, or have been paid for their vote
Ozza

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:50 pm

mushy wrote:Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind West Ham voting with the big six?

Presumably, they're being offered some sort of backroom incentives by the clubs that will benefit, which will doubtlessly never be honoured.
DasNutNock

Next

Return to General Discussion