The Big 6

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Big 6

Postby bubbles1966 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Tis better to be 6th of 20, than 6th of 6.

The breakaway league only really appeals to supporters of clubs who might win it- but how does a Barcelona supporter rub an Arsenal supporters nose in it at work the Monday after?

A game against Millwall or Orient is bigger for us than at least 10 PL opponents we face.

Proximity and shared space matters until some serious status - like winning things - is involved.

When we were in the fizz, I took very little notice of the PL. In the PL I take very little notice of the EL/CL.
bubbles1966

Postby hammer1975 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:09 pm

I'm sure you're right Bubbs - but I'm sick of the 'big six'....it's permeating so many aspects of football now and despite feeling like it couldn't get worse it has.

MOTD coverage barely feels like it can be bothered to fit West Ham and the other clubs of our size in. They spend 10 minutes analysing each of the games involving the top six (usually more time than they spend on the sum total of games not including a top six side) and yet have still failed to notice the increase in cynical foul play which those six sides excel at (sharing around fouls to stop quick counters in particular). The media gives the top six managers as much platform as possible to subversively influence match officials on the odd ocassion that a referee rules against them on a big decision.

The loan system is designed to benefit the top six soaking up talent. Don't get me started on Financial 'Fair' play which is everything but....they may well have called it 'protecting the status quo rules'.

I couldn't make the Bolton game as I was at work until half way through. I got in at half time from work - hopeful that the goals would be played at half time given sky had shown them through the first half. But no, I was treated to 15 minutes of them w*****g themselves silly over which of the top six had started the premier league season the best and which Manchester club would win the league.

The more they talk up the top six the more it becomes self fulfilling that those clubs get more income, become even more self important and the game gets filled with media bias, referee bias and money bias. You also get crap like James Milner outrunning every single West Ham player on Fifa that my kids play because EA sports are so desperate to make the top six noticeably better - kids up and down the country are programmed by computer games to support the top six because if they play online as anyone else they basically get thrashed.

Sigh....sorry - I know you think there's been too much miserabilism on here of late! :raver:

I wouldn't miss them
hammer1975

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:11 pm

hammer1975 wrote:Am I the only one who'd happily see the super league that gets threatened from time-to-time happen and then it six leave the prem? Appreciate it would significantly dilute premiership income etc, etc but I just wander if the upsides would outweigh it....

No you're not. I'd happily get shot of them and the ridiculous hype around them. Sky have created a monster by throwing money at them in order to sell ever more expensive subscriptions. Now that same monster wants feeding with ever bigger TV deals in order to pay the players that attract the subscriptions. One can't exist without the other, it's just a giant ponzi scheme.

Good riddance I say, the rest of us can get back to watching proper games between proper teams with real players now that the mercenaries are taking the money to sit in the third row of the dugout, while Sky Sports w**k themselves into a coma over Tottenham v Juventus again.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby mushy on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:27 pm

This is how the premier League started with a threat from the Big Six that they were going to piss off.
Strangely enough it wasnt that same Big Six as the one we have today, certainly both Chelsea and Man City were not part of it pre -1992.

Actually having checked, it was the Big Five back then, but the reasons are similar read below -

In 1990, the managing director of London Weekend Television (LWT), Greg Dyke, met with the representatives of the "big five" football clubs in England (Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton and Arsenal) over a dinner.[20] The meeting was to pave the way for a break away from The Football League. Dyke believed that it would be more lucrative for LWT if only the larger clubs in the country were featured on national television and wanted to establish whether the clubs would be interested in a larger share of television rights money.[21] The five clubs decided it was a good idea and decided to press ahead with it; however, the league would have no credibility without the backing of The Football Association and so David Dein of Arsenal held talks to see whether the FA were receptive to the idea. The FA did not enjoy an amicable relationship with the Football League at the time and considered it as a way to weaken the Football League's position.

PS I am another one who would quite happily welcome a breakaway league, would love it if they all ****ed off and played each other evey weekend, good luck with that one then.
mushy

Postby ironilunga on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:31 am

mushy wrote:I am another one who would quite happily welcome a breakaway league, would love it if they all ****ed off and played each other evey weekend, good luck with that one then.

Would not put it past them trying to put a team in both - two separate squads but from the same club.
ironilunga

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am

hammer1975 wrote:Am I the only one who'd happily see the super league that gets threatened from time-to-time happen and then it six leave the prem? Appreciate it would significantly dilute premiership income etc, etc but I just wander if the upsides would outweigh it....

I wouldn't want to see it at all. I can't see a single upside to be honest
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby EastBrisHammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:05 am

The main up-side of a super league is that it would probably fail and the teams that left would have to come back and probably play under a different rule set. The teams that are left behind would probably restructure a league to be competitive and entertaining as that's the only way it could be a big draw. I still think many fans of the Big 6 would end up with a second team in the domestic league and may eventually prefer their 2nd team (especially if they have no real ties to their Big 6 team). I know far too many Bristolians who support Man U or Liverpool but also support Bristol City. I reckon if Bristol City got into the Premier League they would support them over their apparent first choice at the moment. As I say I think the same would be true if say Chelsea struggled in the Super League, many 'glory hunting' fans would be turning to a side in the domestic league to follow instead.
EastBrisHammer

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:58 am

fmgod wrote:It's not really a big six though is it, Manchester United are miles ahead in the last twenty years(as a club, stature), Chelsea are getting there, City are trying at the minute, Arsenal seem to just be dwindling along, Liverpool are nothing currently amongst the big teams and Tottenham are trying to crack in,

It's the Big 5! Since Spurs were last champions of English football the league has been won by the big 5 plus Ipswich, Notts Forest, Everton, Blackburn, Derby, Leeds, Aston Villa, Leicester.
Wembley1966

Postby warp on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I wouldn't want to see it at all. I can't see a single upside to be honest

just imagine arsenal fans when they constantly finish 15th or lower!
worth it for that alone!
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby thejackhammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Surely it would be a 20 Team league with the top 4 teams from the major 5 leagues.

So how do you choose which 4 from our league?

Man Utd - on income and reputation despite under performing for the past few years.
Man City - on cash as well as performance over the last 8 or so years.
Arsenal - Top 4 for years on end except last year.
Tottenham - Best Team in the league over two seasons but not a trophy to show for it.
Liverpool - good season under Rogers with Suarez... other than that it’s all past glories.
Chelsea - have only been good for 12 years

Two won’t make it. I’d guess Tottenham plus one other would miss out.
thejackhammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 pm

if it did happen, and even if it was a 20 team league, the six english teams would be in it, simply because of the money they generate globally

PSG and Monaco wouldn't care less if they were the only french teams in it
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby warp on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 pm

the big tits
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby bubbles500 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:45 pm

thejackhammer wrote:Surely it would be a 20 Team league with the top 4 teams from the major 5 leagues.

So how do you choose which 4 from our league?

Man Utd - on income and reputation despite under performing for the past few years.
Man City - on cash as well as performance over the last 8 or so years.
Arsenal - Top 4 for years on end except last year.
Tottenham - Best Team in the league over two seasons but not a trophy to show for it.
Liverpool - good season under Rogers with Suarez... other than that it’s all past glories.
Chelsea - have only been good for 12 years

Two won’t make it. I’d guess Tottenham plus one other would miss out.

Very much doubt that’s how it would work.I guess the 2 vulnerable are spurs and Liverpool.But spurs have finished above Liverpool for best part of decade.The story has been written as “the big 6”possibly interesting not the top 6.All 6 clearly wouldn’t be pushing for it unless they felt confident they would all be involved.Its almost impossible to see how it would be fairly structured.So most likely it won’t be fairly structured.And Literally will just be the most powerful teams how ever that is defined.And you just know if spurs are involved then Levy is at the forefront of this.I’m pretty sure Lord sugar was of the premier league as he had some sort of connection making the dishes for Sky.Levy would probably use the possibility of a London NFL franchise as a big selling point.Wouldnt be that far fetched to see some sort of NFL tie in and promise of NFL in Barcelona and Munich.Its all about the brand and selling it worldwide.
bubbles500

Postby Modern on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I don’t know if there are any motor sport fans here but when the CART/IRL split happened it basically destroyed both series, even though they are now unified I doubt CART will ever recover to how it was before the split.

The Premier League is a fantastic brand, no way will people like Scudamore or the clubs walk away from it or risk destroying something they have done so much to build. The top 5 clubs will never just leave. I simply don’t think a super league is very interesting and deep down they know it.

Being in the Champions league is great and I’m looking forward to Spurs playing Real Madrid, but apart from them and maybe 5 or so other clubs it's simply not that exciting and the football certainly isn’t. Even the novelty of Real will wear off if we do it enough.

West Ham vs Tottenham is more exciting, I care so much more about this fixture and others like it than Monaco or Lazio or whoever. Tottenham can be **** West Ham can be **** fighting over 14th/15th. Still more super than a super league.
Modern

Postby bubbles500 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:02 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/KieranMaguir ... 6694650880

Got slightly confused about the proposal after seeing tweet above.Is it more rewarding a top 10 finish than an exclusive split of money for “big 6”.If that’s the idea I’d probably be in favour of it .As it goes against G&S pretty obvious thinking they can just cruise in 15 th and pick up same money.
bubbles500

Postby Al on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:56 pm

The premier league is the best league as it's competitive.

Real and Barca run away with the Spanish league, Juventus in Italy, PSG with the French and Bayern in Germany.

If Scudamore gives more money to the big 6 we'll just turn into one of he others. He'll destroy the value of his league and with it his future TV revenues.

The big boys may suddenly be able to compete with Barca and the European Cup could be interesting. But the premier league will be destroyed. It would become as boring as La Liga seeing Barca thump the likes Granada week in week out.

The NFL gets the biggest sporting revenues as its so competitive. Its American but effectively communist. Every team gets an equal slice of the pie and every season makes for a spectacle as anyone can win it. If anything the premier league should give more to the smaller 14 clubs.
Al

Postby wolverine on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:54 am

The big 6 and their breakaway super league wouldn't work, unless there is complete change to UEFA and the national FA's of the respective countries of the teams taking part.
Surely, if they all break away and form this super league, they will forfeit their membership to their respective FA's and participation in the Champs league/Uefa cup is a UEFA sanctioned competition, and therefore only open to teams that are in UEFA's recognised FA's, so defeats the whole objective....

Although i'm sure that a few brown envelopes will make everything ok again.....
wolverine

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:45 pm

If they went ahead with an unsanctioned league outside the governance of UEFA they'd also be outside of FIFA, so they wouldn't be allowed to play in World Cups or Euro championships.

Still, I'm sure the money would help soften the blow.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Rays Rock on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:49 am

The "rest" should call the bluff of the "big 6" and say okay off you go.
At this point i'm willing to bet that at least 3 of the 6 will dither and **** themselves.
If they um & ah too long the "rest" should form their own league without them leaving them isolated.
Rays Rock

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:16 pm

Interesting take on the matter

Do the "14" have the bottle to turn the tables on the other 6?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion