The Big 6

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Big 6

Postby Thekorean on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Ozza wrote:
only angle I can think of, is that they are trying to stop the big 6 from leaving, or have been paid for their vote

Probably the latter.
Thekorean

Postby Rays Rock on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 pm

As far as i'm concerned, these 6 clubs are welcome to create a euro super league. It will however inevitably crash and burn within 10 years. Traditional rivalries are what makes football what it's all about. None more
so than in England.
Lose that and you've lost your product and appeal.
Those that decide to go must be told that if they want to return, must fully re-enburse those that stayed for
total loss of revenue.
Rays Rock

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:54 pm

Rays Rock wrote:As far as i'm concerned, these 6 clubs are welcome to create a euro super league. It will however inevitably crash and burn within 10 years. Traditional rivalries are what makes football what it's all about. None more
so than in England.
Lose that and you've lost your product and appeal.
Those that decide to go must be told that if they want to return, must fully re-enburse those that stayed for
total loss of revenue.

But their biggest rivals are all in the top 6 anyway.

Liverpool -united
City-united
Spurs-arsenal-Chelsea
bubbles500

Postby dodger on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:58 am

marshboy wrote:talk sport have just said west ham voted in favour of the proposal

... but there was no vote.
dodger

Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Postby HeadHammerShark on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:47 am

http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=4021

My take on it. That this has been shelved doesn't mean it's gone away. Fans need to speak up.
HeadHammerShark

Postby Rays Rock on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:34 am

bubbles500 wrote: But their biggest rivals are all in the top 6 anyway.

Liverpool -united
City-united
Spurs-arsenal-Chelsea

I can't imagine a season without a mersyside derby. And as much as they say they dont care, i can't imagine spurs fans wouldn't miss a fixture against us. There are plenty of fixtures for those big 6 that hold more
jepoardy and shock than a loss in a "top end" fixture. For example there can be any result in a Man U v Liverpool match and it wouldn't be a shock. Yet if either side take a beating against a side like Newcastle, Southampton or us, everybody is talking about it.
Its not about the one big match that makes our leagues great though. Its the shock
results that craate the excitement. On a weekly basis any one of those top 6 clubs can have a undesirable result against anyone.
Rays Rock

Postby ironilunga on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:11 am

Up the Junction wrote:They may not win much, but the other 14 teams are every bit as important in the grand scheme of things.

What makes the premier league such an attractive product IMO is its strength in depth. Nothing compares anywhere else in the world. I have lived in a few different countries and what fans have in common is that they will quite happily sit and watch a premier league game featuring teams like Crystal Palace and Soton because they will still see top quality players. Dont think the same could be said of other european leagues.

The death knell of any league is when you extract the competitive element. Every fan at the beginning of the season has to believe,however outlandish, that their club could win the league, get into Europe, get promoted or survive relegation.If you take away relegation, promotion or the ability to be the best then the game is up.

Winning the premier league without the countries top 6 clubs would be the hollowest of victories. It will never happen.
ironilunga

Postby sanchoz on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am

HeadHammerShark wrote:http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=4021

My take on it. That this has been shelved doesn't mean it's gone away. Fans need to speak up.

And its an excellent read. Thank you once again :thup:
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby bubbles500 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am

Palace v Southampton top quality really?Last season and already this the gap between top 6 and rest is enormous.I’d hazard a guess the gap between 6-7th will be even bigger this season.I honestly can’t think of one fixture not involving top 6 or Us that I would currently go out my way to watch.As Newcastle Huddersfield Brighton are already showing I think there’s very little difference in quality between bottom top 10 in PL and top 10 in championship.I honestly think the only game supporters of top 6 would miss is Merseyside derby.My spurs mates are beside themselves with excitement about the Real matches.You really think they’d miss playing us,when they are playing Barca juve Bayern every other week.I very much doubt it.
bubbles500

Postby comebackjoecole on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am

Bring it on, it will be the start of the end of modern day football in England, the first nail in the coffin.
comebackjoecole

Postby ironilunga on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:42 am

bubbles500 wrote:Palace v Southampton top quality really?Last season and already this the gap between top 6 and rest is enormous.

Top quality compared to teams of equal standing in other leagues of the world. The reason fans are more likely to watch a game between these two sides is due to them being invested in the premier league product.

The prem is hardly a parade comparatively speaking. No easy games and enough upsets to keep things interesting - Chelsea 2 Burnley 3, Watford 3 Liverpool 3, Stoke 1 Arsenal 0, Stoke 2 Man Utd 2
ironilunga

Postby EastBrisHammer on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:00 am

bubbles500 wrote:Palace v Southampton top quality really?Last season and already this the gap between top 6 and rest is enormous.I’d hazard a guess the gap between 6-7th will be even bigger this season.I honestly can’t think of one fixture not involving top 6 or Us that I would currently go out my way to watch.As Newcastle Huddersfield Brighton are already showing I think there’s very little difference in quality between bottom top 10 in PL and top 10 in championship.I honestly think the only game supporters of top 6 would miss is Merseyside derby.My spurs mates are beside themselves with excitement about the Real matches.You really think they’d miss playing us,when they are playing Barca juve Bayern every other week.I very much doubt it.

Playing Real Madrid is a novelty for them that's why they are excited. Play them every year and that novelty soon wears off, especially if they're losing most weeks. They would soon get nostalgic for the old days.

And its a complete fallacy about the big teams producing exciting football. I've lost track how often I've fallen asleep in front of the TV watching a so called big game. Excitement and drama equally comes from Everton vs. West Ham than Liverpool vs Man Utd. The hype and media tries to lead us to believe otherwise. When the big teams play each other their tactics are usually quite cautious, stifling the game. Admittedly, you do get some classics but no more then you get further down the league. That 5-4 vs. Bradford in 2000 is the example of what a classic match you can get between so called inferior teams. Most people want excitement and drama.
EastBrisHammer

Postby sutts07 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:02 am

The bigger clubs get a bigger share of the TV money by virtue of them being on TV more anyway. There is no justification for drastic changes so this was never going to get pushed through wholesale. Chelsea were on TV ten times more than us last season and consequently would have earned 10m - 20m more than us from the TV rights pot.

It would be very tough (if not impossible) to define a cut off point for 'Big Club' or 'Big Six' too. You would have to draw a definite line in the sand at 'Top Six' and award the money as prize money (which is ultimately what they are pushing for).

If that is the case I can see every reason why ambitious clubs such as Everton, Leicester, Southampton and even West Ham would be interested in it.

Never an easy call to make between a bigger and better bonus package or a higher base salary.
sutts07

Postby Rays Rock on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:10 am

If these clubs continue to threaten this action. Why don't the "others" refuse to sign up to the overseas package. Lets be honest here, the loss in revenue although crippling, doesn't make those clubs affected any less likely to winning the Premier League. Those "Big 6" though, will then have to try and sell the 35 corresponding fixtures only involving themselves to a foreign audience.
Good luck to them if they can pull in the same revenue. But you wait, you'll then start to here things from Man Utd like "we pull in more viewers than Spurs and Chelsea" so we should get more than them etc, etc.....
It's simply called greed and protectionism not sport !

I suspect that selling such a small number of matches over a season won't pull in a share like they currently recieve. I could be wrong, but i don't see it working after the buzz wears thin.
Rays Rock

Postby rciron on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:21 am

Ozza wrote:Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind West Ham voting with the big six?
Surely they dont actually believe we will be one of the big six do they?
Our money would be cut if this goes through and yet we are in favour, I dont understand.

only angle I can think of, is that they are trying to stop the big 6 from leaving, or have been paid for their vote
Corruption in football? Unthinkable
rciron

Postby sutts07 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 am

Ozza wrote:Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind West Ham voting with the big six?
Surely they don't actually believe we will be one of the big six do they?

They obviously believe they are a future contender for a place in the 'top six' in which case a share of a bigger prize fund is attractive to them.

I think the whole wording around 'Big Six' is being mis-reported. It is the 'Big Six' teams trying to push the deal through but the deal is for the 'Top Six' (in terms of finishing position) to earn more - it is effectively prize money.

For example, Spurs would't just get a huge chunk of the pot if they lost a couple of players (Kane and Alli) and slipped down to 10th.
sutts07

Postby bubbles500 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:43 am

The thing is if a super league were formed.Im sure Spain and Germany wouldn’t accept England having 6 teams in it.Pretty sure Germany and Spain have a bigger overall coefficient.I also doubt all our top 6 are in Europe’s top 20 coefficients although I might be wrong.The most I could see would be 4,and how they’d work that out who knows.
bubbles500

Postby wildkard on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 am

If only some sort of league already existed containing all the "best" teams in Europe. Maybe even one that finished with a cup competition to decide who was the best of the best.
wildkard

Postby Slacking student on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 am

DasNutNock wrote:I just want Liverpool to f*ck off and never return.

Dan I love that your hatred for the armbands is on a similar level to mine. **** them into oblivion
Slacking student

Postby HeadHammerShark on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:48 am

bubbles500 wrote:The thing is if a super league were formed.Im sure Spain and Germany wouldn’t accept England having 6 teams in it.Pretty sure Germany and Spain have a bigger overall coefficient.I also doubt all our top 6 are in Europe’s top 20 coefficients although I might be wrong.The most I could see would be 4,and how they’d work that out who knows.

This is an excellent point. It's entirely possible that Man City and Spurs wouldn't get in given their lack of established European credentials - a point that seems to be missed so often when this empty threat is made.
HeadHammerShark

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion