Christmas Eve football

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Christmas Eve football

Postby Up the Junction on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: Christmas Eve football

Postby Patito on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:49 pm

The first paragraph of the article sums it up very well:

"The almost total lack of regard in which broadcasters hold football fans is no secret, so it should have come as no surprise to learn that Sky Sports is proposing to reschedule Arsenal’s home match against Liverpool for Christmas Eve in what the Football Supporters’ Federation has described as “a new low point in putting the interests of football broadcasters over those of match-going fans”. And yet somehow it did come as a surprise. Even by the notoriously cut-throat standards of TV networks scrambling for subscriptions, this seems unnecessarily grasping."
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby fmgod on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:51 pm

For fans it's been this way for years though, I remember Newcastle away on a Monday night and other long journeys during the week, for the fans it's disgusting but for the clubs they should swallow it they are happy to take the massive bucks from Sky and BT etc so should shut up.

Just last night Orient was away to Tranmere on a Wednesday night that's about a 9-10 hour trip at the best of times let alone a Wednesday evening, game finishes at say 10, even leaving dot on time, getting in the car you'd be home 2-3 am at best.
fmgod

Postby szola on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:51 pm

This will not go down well in the szola household.... :|
szola

Postby James P on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Christmas Eve is probably my favourite day of the year. Couldn't imagine having it ruined by having to attend a football match.
James P

Postby Ozza on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:53 pm

That's a total disgrace, football fans once again being treated like dirt, I hope if they go ahead with this both stadiums are empty, see how that looks on TV beamed around the world
Ozza

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:55 pm

If ever there was a case for a meaningful and concerted boycott, this is it. Tens of thousands of empty seats will need to be explained by the talking heads, even if they lie about the reason.

I'm going to go s little off topic and link it with with the "top six" thread, in that the sooner they all feckoff to their Euroleague and take the poison that is Sky with them the better.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Col Hammer on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Think some sort of mass boycott needs to happen, all fans will need to work together somehow, by either not going to the game, protesting during it, or those at home not switching on to watch. This seems to have got various supporter groups angry enough to ensure a good turnout across the county

Fans generally get dumped on all year by Sky and the like by fixture changes, just leave Christmas Eve out of it!!
Col Hammer

Postby sendô on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:00 pm

TV companies will continue to do all they can to maximise revenue, and the football clubs will continue to follow suit whilst fans allow them.

Still, most of Liverpools fans live in the home counties anyway.
sendô

Postby Aceface on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Seems like it could work if it was hyper-local. Lord knows how Newcastle get involved in a proposal like this though.

But I can see how having children probably colours a person's view of this - Christmas Eve ain't no thing when you're childless and in your early thirties.
Aceface

Postby jamesb84 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 pm

I genuinely think that a mass boycott will never get off the ground...there's too many people who live and breathe West Ham/Arsenal/Liverpool/Newcastle.

So, whilst attendances would be lower, there will still be people there.

What needs to happen is silence. Absolute silence from every person in the ground. Whether it's for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 45 minutes or 90 minutes, that would send a very clear message to Sky.

Combine that with 10 minutes at the start of both halves where everyone stays on the concourses, and that is a very powerful message. It would need co-ordination, but the FSF and supporters' groups could feasibly do this. We've probably got people in every block on here and within WHUISA or other supporters' groups.

Definitely achievable and something that I'm sure the geordies would be happy to participate in as well...
jamesb84

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:11 pm

I can see those 24 hour Garages stocking up with last minute presents .

'' A giant Toblerone and plastic daffodils , just what I've always wanted , dear ??? '' . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Col Hammer on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:13 pm

[quote="jamesb84"]. Absolute silence from every person in the ground. quote]

This bit shouldn't be a problem :tune:

Would agree with the rest of your comments though, we all love our teams so not turning up isn't really an option but the concourse idea should easily be achievable..
Col Hammer

Postby Big George on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:18 pm

WHUISA have made representations to the club, Gold gave an interview yesterday saying he was fine with a match on the 24trh

The FSF have made representations to the Premier League and Sky the feedback from Sky is that the club's signed the deal, they should have looked at the small print

We're being lined up for 1.30

This is what our former chaplain, Elwin Cockett or the "The Rev" to most of us on here said on WHUISA facebook page when it was first mooted

On Christmas Eve, I'll be listening to Carols from Kings, perhaps with a Mince Pie and a glass of something, wrapping the last few presents and getting ready to celebrate at a church somewhere at Midnight. I love football, but there's a time and a place, and Christmas Eve - for me, at least - isn't it.

They really are dispicable
Big George

Postby Ifebbubbles on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Westfield wins again.
They were never going to allow us the 23rd of December.
Ifebbubbles

Postby Ozza on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Ifebbubbles wrote:Westfield wins again.
They were never going to allow us the 23rd of December.

That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of.
Ozza

Postby Ifebbubbles on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:24 pm

I knew when the fixtures were released they wouldn't stand for that. That's a bigger shopping day than boxing day!
Ifebbubbles

Postby jamesb84 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Col Hammer wrote:This bit shouldn't be a problem :tune:

Would agree with the rest of your comments though, we all love our teams so not turning up isn't really an option but the concourse idea should easily be achievable..

Yeah, the silence bit would always prompt some smart 'arris turning round and saying "how would we know you and Arsenal were protesting?"

But a plan of 10 mins on the concourse, then 10 mins (for example) of silence followed by the loudest support imaginable is just about crazy enough to work!
jamesb84

Postby sanchoz on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 pm

A disgrace if any games do go ahead on that day.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby @TFSH_WHUFC on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Personally I will not attend and leave my two seats empty in protest to this ridiculous suggestion.

No thought whatsoever for the supporters.

Family day for me........end of.
@TFSH_WHUFC

Next

Return to General Discussion