Christmas Eve football

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Christmas Eve football

Postby Wembley1966 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Belchio wrote:So Westham V Newscastle is back to the 23rd or do we have to wait until Oct 19th to find out?

We have to wait until after the EFL Cup quarter final matches have been scheduled before they announce the weekend of 23rd December TV matches - the draw is after our match against Spurs on 25th October.
Wembley1966

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Wembley1966 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 pm

^^^ FFS that's from the Daily Mail. Nothing to do with India at all - there's 120+ countries showing that match live!
Wembley1966

Postby Whitters on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Really bloody annoyed that the December announcement has been put back a week. I'm waiting to book flights for the Chelsea game on the weekend of the 9th, as if it is moved to Friday, Monday or Sunday 4pm I'm stuffed. Leaving it this late already means flights are getting pricy, let alone another week.
Whitters

Postby Rocket on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:09 am

Wembley1966 wrote:^^^ FFS that's from the Daily Mail. Nothing to do with India at all - there's 120+ countries showing that match live!

Does that make it any more acceptable, though? A game in the English Premier League has been moved to a kick off time that is very inconvenient for supporters so that it can be shown on TV in countries other than England.
Rocket

Postby hadleighhammer on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 am

Rocket wrote:Does that make it any more acceptable, though? A game in the English Premier League has been moved to a kick off time that is very inconvenient for supporters so that it can be shown on TV in countries other than England.

This is worse than the Christmas Eve game. The Prem League should be ashamed, but they won't be as all they will be thinking about is the £££.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby Corney Beal on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 am

Everton fans having to get to Brighton for a lunchtime kick off. They really do not care at all so they?
Corney Beal

Postby OFT on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 am

Corney Beal wrote: They really do not care at all so they?

Match attending fans are n't their 'target market' so no they don't care. They would probably prefer a ground to have a 'virtual crowd' with appropriate sound track and everyone watching on tv.
OFT

Postby bobd_uk on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 am

Rocket wrote:Does that make it any more acceptable, though? A game in the English Premier League has been moved to a kick off time that is very inconvenient for supporters so that it can be shown on TV in countries other than England.

Clubs are happy to take the overseas TV money though.........
bobd_uk

Postby sutts07 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am

Rocket wrote:A game in the English Premier League has been moved to a kick off time that is very inconvenient for supporters so that it can be shown on TV in countries other than England.

The kick off time is just one and a half hours earlier than the traditional 3pm time. Games get moved to 12.30 and 1.30 all the time without accusations of it being for India.

Sky picked this game back in August and the fixture was moved to a 1.30pm kick off on the Sunday. Sky have since dropped the game and will be going with Derby v Forest now. Nothing to do with India.
sutts07

Postby Big George on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 am

Has Wenger resigned himself to it being Arse v Liverpool?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-sanchez-ozil-transfer-wenger-11329428?service=responsive&1=

“Yes I know that we have to adapt to the schedule dictated by the televisions, but overall I would say if that happens personally I think it should not, not any game should be played after 2 o’clock latest on Christmas Eve on the 24th because Christmas Day in England is 25, but on the 24th I would say if we had to play we should not play after 2 o’clock.

“Personally I would prefer to be at my home on Christmas night and celebrate Christmas, but I still feel that could happen if we played early on the day and what you wouldn’t like to sacrifice is the evening with the family for people, but overall we go towards society religion isn’t considered anymore in any decision and where people want as well to watch football in the Christmas period.”
Big George

Postby Pop Robson on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 am

Big George wrote:I've just come back from the FSF/Premier League meeting with Scudamore that the Guardian is reporting wearing my WHUISA hat.

They are “nowhere near” resolving all the issues surrounding December games so the announcement date of 12th October has now been pushed back to the 19th.

The announcement on the 19th will NOT include which games will be televised from 23rd Dec fixtures

The Premier League will honour its commitment to announce TV fixtures six weeks ahead of time.

Scudamore said he didn’t think there would be such a fuss about games on Christmas Eve. The FSF efforts have clearly had an effect.

So as late as 9th Nov !?
Pop Robson

Postby Big George on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

Pop Robson wrote:
So as late as 9th Nov !?

Reading between the lines of what was said at the meeting, I reckon it will be after the next round of League Cup games at the very end of October.
Big George

Postby The Boleyn Hound on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 am

Big George wrote:Scudamore said he didn’t think there would be such a fuss about games on Christmas Eve

That's because not once in his life has he had to travel by train from Newcastle to London and back on Christmas Eve. What planet is he living on? Does he have kids?

Big George wrote:The FSF efforts have clearly had an effect.

Good work by the FSF! :thup:
Last edited by The Boleyn Hound on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Boleyn Hound

Postby mushy on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:54 am

Big George wrote:
Reading between the lines of what was said at the meeting, I reckon it will be after the next round of League Cup games at the very end of October.

Wembley1966 wrote: We have to wait until after the EFL Cup quarter final matches have been scheduled before they announce the weekend of 23rd December TV matches - the draw is after our match against Spurs on 25th October.

Wembley generally knows his onions.
mushy

Postby Wembley1966 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:02 pm

^^^ :oops:

Internationally they can broadcast the game on TV at 3:00pm on a Saturday if they want - our match away to Burnley this Saturday is going to be broadcast live in over 100 countries.

The reason the Indian influence has been taken out of context is that the Premier League are doing a marketing promotion and holding a fan park in India that weekend - they expected 2 matches to be played on the Sunday so had asked Sky which ones were they likely to pick. When Sky only chose one match, rather than go back and upset supporters who had booked travel and also keep the 2 matches for the fan park, they kept the match for the Sunday. Even if a country didn't have the rights to broadcast a match live on TV, the Premier League could still show live matches in a closed environment there as it is not broadcast.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/464487
The Premier League will bring a festival of football and entertainment to Bengaluru when it hosts its international fan park in India.

Premier League Live will take place at the Karnataka Trade Promotion Organisation (KTPO) on Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 October and offers up to 40,000 local fans the chance to enjoy a range of Premier League experiences.

The fan park will bring the passion and excitement of the Premier League to India, with the weekend’s top matches broadcast live on a giant screen.

At this free-to-attend event, fans will get the chance to meet some of the League’s former stars, including Premier League Champion and all-time top scorer Alan Shearer, and enjoy live music from top local artists and DJs.
Wembley1966

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Bilic won't object to Christmas Eve game

“This is the Premier League, the most attractive league in the world with all the rewards that brings. That means, in turn, you have to give something and if it requires you to play on Christmas Eve, then that is what we have to do.

“Many fans will not like it but you can’t have it both ways. There is a price to pay for everything and if that means we have to play on Christmas Eve, then we have to get on and do it.”

more...
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Coops on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Actually a Christmas Eve game will suit my plans better than a Saturday game so I am flip flopping to the other side.
Coops

Postby upton o'good on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Corney Beal wrote:Everton fans having to get to Brighton for a lunchtime kick off. They really do not care at all so they?

On the other hand, could there be a better reason for a weekender? And Brighton sure beats Boro!
upton o'good

Postby Beefy's mum on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Are Decembers fixture changes still due to be out today or has the date been put back again?
Beefy's mum

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion